Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Austin Macauley Publishers

2»

Comments

• This isn't a private thread. It comes up on Google if you search for the publisher, which this new TBer might have done.

Welcome, Happy_Author - why not tell us more about your book?
  • edited July 2014
    HA, you can start a new thread and we can say hello properly, if you want to stay around.
  • I presume the HMMMM is doubt?
  • Thank you Carol, and Hello,
    I did not see the need to start a new thread,as I came across the subject of AM on Google
    Good morning also to Baggy Books and all on W-O
  • edited July 2014
    It's just interesting timing that when the thread's been dead for six weeks, yesterday I was asked to amend some comments in this thread and a new Talkbacker joins just to comment on it on the same day! Did AM ask you to comment here? Forgive the suspicion Happy_Author, we're generally very friendly.

As Carol said, why don't you introduce yourself a bit (a new thread is best), tell us who you are and say hello? Who was the other publisher you approached? Which Yearbook was it?
  • I presume the HMMMM is doubt?
    Yes, sorry to be cynical, Happy Author - but I was struck that your post came across as very dismissive of people like Toothlight, who have worked very hard on their writing and seem to have received less than professional treatment from AM. It's good news that you have been well treated and are happy with the service they are providing, but your enthusiasm made your post look a lot like the type of contribution that crops up here from time to time: someone joins, raves about a product/company/service and never posts ever again.

We're a pretty welcoming bunch really, so don't take it personally.
  • edited July 2014
    I am new to this forum,but have seen many bad reviews about Austin Macauley, but are these just disgruntled writers who have been turned down? you only have to look at TV programs like X Factor an how many people think they can sing, the same can be said about writers,

I would just like to make it clear that I was not rejected by AM. I never sent them my full ms. I rejected them.
    Plus, not only can I sing, I can dance and write as well.
  • Hi Webbo, LOL I can see how you might be suspicious, and I am sure you are a great friendly Bunch, No AM did not ask me to comment, I happened to come across the thread from google search normally Absolutewrite normal come up, so I was interest when I saw this post. hence the comment. I am a new writer and will be telling you more about myself as time goes by. I have already posted a new thread to see how thing go the yearbook was a 2011 and no AM were not listed in it the other publisher I am keeping quiet about as I have the possibility of other things and of course want to see how things work out with AM my other post I started is
    are you a bad writer and don't know it. hope to make good friends on here.You can always pm me
  • I am new to this forum,but have seen many bad reviews about Austin Macauley, but are these just disgruntled writers who have been turned down? you only have to look at TV programs like X Factor an how many people think they can sing, the same can be said about writers,

I would just like to make it clear that I was not rejected by AM. I never sent them my full ms. I rejected them.
    Plus, not only can I sing, I can dance and write as well.
    Hi Casey, I do apologize if you think my comment was aimed at you. it was not it was just a generalization, I am sorry to hear things did not work out between you and AM, I am please to hear you can sing and dance as well perhaps I could book you for my book launch
    ;)
  • edited July 2014
    I presume the HMMMM is doubt?
    Yes, sorry to be cynical, Happy Author - but I was struck that your post came across as very dismissive of people like Toothlight, who have worked very hard on their writing and seem to have received less than professional treatment from AM. It's good news that you have been well treated and are happy with the service they are providing, but your enthusiasm made your post look a lot like the type of contribution that crops up here from time to time: someone joins, raves about a product/company/service and never posts ever again.

We're a pretty welcoming bunch really, so don't take it personally.
    Glad to hear you are a welcoming bunch, I was not being dismissive of Toothlight far from it, I think that I have seen so much negative about AM, I just thought that people should be realistic in what they hope to achieve. I have been on absolutewrite a US forum and they are so negative about everything so I was delighted when I found a post where someone else has also had a similar views to myself (quoting M.Welshman) I hope in the future to be able to find time to post more positive feedback
  • Good ;luck with your book HA. I hope everything turns out well for you.
  • Good ;luck with your book HA. I hope everything turns out well for you.
    Thank you Casey, I hope you get a deal that work well for you, I will keep you up to date and defiantly post links to the launch.
  • LizLiz
    edited July 2014
    Defiantly, eh? Lol!
  • Only just picked up on the more recent posts on this thread...

Interested to hear more bout the book.
  • Hey guys, i just wanted to add in my own experiences. I got a "Contract" through from Austin Macaulay today. I'm afraid I'm able to confirm everything negative I've read about them on this and other forums.

I was offered a price tag of £2500 (and 25% of the royalties in return).

So all the rumors about them changing hands and cleaning up their act or whatever, it doesn't matter they're still up to the same old tricks (written September 2014).

It was my own fault, I was up really late one night firing off submissions to Agents. I got careless and accidentally got AM mixed up in there too.

Still I figured i would give them a chance and see what happened...the word "textbook" jumps to mind, with the term "schoolboy error" in tow.

The heartbreak is nobodies fault but my own
  • But at least you know before committing yourself.
  • It goes to show how careful you have to be. Research is so important.
  • Sorry to hear you were sucked into this. Keep subbing to genuine publishers and you will get there in the end. A valuable lesson learned. Good luck with your book.
  • It cost me £2300 to publish with AM. The editing service is rubbish. After I found mistakes not corrected they said it was too late the novel was published. I have since asked them to scrap it. I am moving on. AET

• Hi Dragon 7 - what a nightmare for you - this and other similar publishers prey on writer's desperation to be published - it shouldn't be allowed but they are not technically breaking any laws -  but they sail very close to the wind...Jericho Writers publish a list of up to date 'predators and editors' warning of such scammers - but new one's spring up all the time.
  • edited April 2019
    Several years ago I was scammed by a man representing himself as an agent. Fortunately it only cost me £300 before I realised my mistake and fled.
    I reported him to the Writers and Artists' Yearbook which had published his details.