Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Responses

edited January 2015 in - Reading
I'm new here and not very computer savvy. I haven't seen how to respond to a thread and I'm not at all sure what you want under'quote' but I'll find out eventually. I'll add my books later when I get more familiar with the set up.
Tagged:

Comments

• When you go into a thread, at the bottom is a white box with 'Write comment' at the top.
    Type your response in there and click 'post comment'.
    You only need to use 'quote' if you want to quote something another poster said.

Welcome to the forum. Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself?
  • Thanks, Heather. I tried doing a profile but gave up when it didn't accept my website. I think I know what I did wrong so I'll fix it later.
    I live in Worthing and write novels, belong to a group called the'Sea Scribes' and blog on wordpress but most of my contacts are in the USA so I'm looking to chat to more folk in the UK. Can you explain the use of the word private on some posts? Does this mean restricted access whereas all other posts are public? I'm eager to learn.
  • Non-private posts are viewable by anyone who comes to the site. Private posts are only viewable by logged-in members. However, as anyone can join any time they like they are not really very private, but they won't be picked up by a google search (I think!)

We have all sorts of writers here, at various stages in their writing, published and unpublished and we are quite friendly so hopefully you will have a good time here.
  • Re the 'quote' function, that's just to allow us to quote all, or part of another person's post. For example, if I wanted to make it clear I was replying to your original post and not your later one, or Heather's responses, I might quote your question before my reply.

There's no need to use the feature if you don't wish too.
  • edited January 2015
    Re the 'quote' function, that's just to allow us to quote all, or part of another person's post. For example, if I wanted to make it clear I was replying to your original post and not your later one, or Heather's responses, I might quote your question before my reply.

There's no need to use the feature if you don't wish too.
    I just highlighted PM's post, and pressed quote, and it appeared here. If you only want to quote a line, you'd do the same, but delete the extra bits that show up in this 'write comment' box.
    'Flag' is when you want to bring something to the editor's attention (we call him Webbo and he's quite house-trained).
    'Send PM' means you want to send a message to one of the writers.
    'Thanks' - click on this and at the bottom of the other person's post will be a little blue goldstick to say you've thanked them. 'Like' means you like the post. I clicked this on your first post, and you get a balloon with 'like' in it.

If something goes wrong when you're typing, and you don't see it till afterwards, click on Edit, and you can change it. I've just added this to my post in that way.

Welcome, goldstick! You'll get the hang of it just by using it.

• Hello, goldstick and welcome to the site. It's very easy to use once you've visited a few times!
  • Welcome, Goldstick!
  • Hello Goldstick, welcome to Talkback. :)

It will be interesting to hear about your blog posts- we have a thread called Blog Updates, so when you do a new blog post you can add a link on that thread.
  • Welcome to TB Goldstick, you'll get the hang of it all quickly :-)
  • Hello Goldstick :)
  • Will I get banned if I tell you about my latest novel, Never Run Away? My first three books are on amazon but this one is only listed as an ebook. Local people in Worthing enjoy my books as they try to think where I have set them.They are all family relationship stories and this one is about a married woman who wants to change her life and runs away from home to do it. I am writing a sequel at present and have been listing my efforts on my blog, www.juliecround.wordpress.com. I still haven't figured out how to make a link but I'll look on Blog updates and see if that helps. Thanks for the welcome, folks.
  • goldstick, you are very welcome to add your book to the thread TB Virtual Bookshelf.
  • edited January 2015
    Goldstick, if you go to your blog page, copy and paste the address in the browser bar, come to the blog updates page. Write your message then just paste in the web address you've just copied.

Once you press submit, the link will be live, and if you go back into the thread your link should show up as blue, and if you click on it, it should open your blog page. :)
  • Sorry Carol, I'm hopeless. Which blog page? Do you mean my wordpress blog or the little one in goodreads?
  • Your wordpress blog, copy that address, then come to here, and click on the blog updates post, then paste your wordpress blog address in.
  • Welcome goldstickI hope you'll be very happy here
  • My wordpress blog has a little lock by it. My son told me to right click on it but I was too chicken. One day I'll know what I'm doing on here!
  • You have to unlock your blog otherwise it's not able to be picked up on google.
  • Go on, click it. I dare you.
  • In the old days you could click on stuff and it was irrevocable - no way to recover it. But nowadays whatever you is mostly change-backable. Don't worry about doing something your son told you about. Suspect he is an expert.
  • Unless the doing something he says is 'let me drive your car' an hour after passing his test.

I don't think that would be sensible.