Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Any Paul Auster fans?

edited January 2016 in - Reading
I've just been reading his 1987 New York Trilogy. If something can be bizarre and intriguing at the same time, this is it.

People who've reviewed it on Amazon seem puzzled by it.

The term "postmodernist" seems to be applied to it by some. I understand what modernism is; but what do we expect from postmodernist novels?

Comments

• I LOVE PAUL AUSTER. I can't say this loudly enough.

New York Trilogy is one of my favourites, he writes so elegantly, so sparely, and you never know where the story is going, I love that.

I think it's to do with his characters.

Perhaps he writes on a theme rather than a subject.

Perhaps it's the mixture of symbolic, imaginary and what is real.

i just love them.
  • I don't know what postmodernist means. Tags like this are just meaningless tags as far as I'm concerned - I'm only interested in whether or not I like the writing. I don't care what it's called.
    I've read a number of Paul Auster novels because I find him interesting and different. I've loved some of them, and found some of them hard work to decipher what he's trying to say/achieve.
    Having said that, whenever I see a Paul Auster book that I haven't read, I always buy it!

• I don't know what postmodernist means.

I take it to mean that it breaks some sort of boundary that modern novels, about life now, which tend to be realistic, don't normally.

• Like Claudia, I don't always understand his books but If I see one I haven't read, I need to read it. The first one I read, and still my favourite, is Leviathan.
  • I read Oracle Night about twice and loved it. I want to read it again but I haven't read his other's I'm too fussy. I thought he wrote crime? I might try another of his books if he's not crime as I love odd books