Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

New Writer Inquiries

edited April 2016 in Writing
Hey everyone, I'm an aspiring writer and I'm new to this forum. I've been recommended to sites such as this for the sake of my sanity, and would dearly like some help with understanding the current market. My (current) genres are science fiction and fantasy.

First, I'd definitely like to know how the market is on accepting new SF and Fantasy. I know there's blurb somewhere about them being among the most profitable genres, but I'd like some down-to-earth advice about how acceptable it is and what agencies are most receptive.

Second, I'd like some help on how the self-publishing market's going. The last time I tried it, my work was not as polished and the market seemed flooded. How's it going now, and how can I do my best to make sure I get noticed?

Many thanks to anyone who can help. If there is some way I can securely share some of my writing for others to see here, I'd be more than willing to do so.

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Hi and welcome.

Sorry, don't know anything about Sci-fi or fantasy.
  • Hello Lara.

It's not my genre so don't know the specifics, but there will likely be someone along who does know something.

Self-publishing involves a lot of work.

Self-publishing involves a lot of work.
    Yes. Almost as much as the agent + publisher route.
  • Hello Lara, and welcome.

If you make a killing with sci-fi and fantasy, let me know.

Nobody reads my crap

• Nobody reads my crap
    Odd, because your marketing pitch is so appealing ...
  • I know my place...

~:>
  • Hello and welcome!

You'd really need to research which agents deal with your genre and take it from there. If your work's ready for publication and you can't find anyone to publish it traditionally, consider self-publishing.

The work involved is virtually the same, whichever route you choose. You will need a marketing strategy and an agent will expect you to have an on-line presence with an established profile. If you consider self-publishing, you will need a marketing strategy and an on-line presence...
  • Hello and welcome!

You'd really need to research which agents deal with your genre and take it from there. If your work's ready for publication and you can't find anyone to publish it traditionally, consider self-publishing.

The work involved is virtually the same, whichever route you choose. You will need a marketing strategy and an agent will expect you to have an on-line presence with an established profile. If you consider self-publishing, you will need a marketing strategy and an on-line presence...
    So basically I need to learn how to create a manageable on-line presence and market my work effectively. Any suggestions where I can find plain advice on those subjects?

• edited April 2016
    Hello and welcome.

My plain advice to you is 'a manageable on-line presence' means you can be found easily on line, people can find out about yourself and your work. It also involves joining communities online so that you can find out about other writers and be interested in them as they are in you.

Some people create a website, and/or use a blog, some use Twitter, some prefer Facebook. Whichever is your preference, or all.

Marketing I would think is a two-way street. Part of it means you take the time to find out/be interested/promote/buy other people's work and they'll do the same for you.
  • You can also find plain advice about this sort of thing regularly in Writing Magazine.
  • The harsh truth is that no-one will knock on your door and ask if you've written a book. You have to plan your strategy and dora's advice covers it. If you're not into social media, do some research and become familiar with what's available. Many writers begin their marketing when they're still drafting a book. Social media takes time - to write posts etc. - but it's free. Take advantage of it.
  • Hello and welcome, Lara.
  • Lara, welcome.

That's very good advice already given.

There are no easy routes to get to the right agent. There will be (virtual) legwork involved which is down to you. As a starting point, there is The Writers' and Artists' Year Book which lists every agent and publisher and what they are looking for. By becoming active on social media, you will pick up other information, too, where other writers pass on current information which might be of help to others. Agents and publishers also get involved at times. Try to join groups on Twitter and Facebook where writers post. Goodreads tends to be more American, but there are British groups there as well.

Self-publishing has blossomed, and more than ever there are writers clamouring for you to buy their books. There is still a lot of sub-standard stuff out there, so you need to get yours noticed in a positive light by making it the absolute best it can be. If there are holes to be picked, mark my words, there are plenty out there only too ready to rip competitors' books to shreds. However, if you can create a positive vibe around yourself and your writing, you are more likely to get positive feedback.

When I started, I decided that no way would I involve myself in the social media frenzy, but, like it or not, you really have to, otherwise you may as well be down a hole!
  • Hey everyone, I'm an aspiring writer and I'm new to this forum. I've been recommended to sites such as this for the sake of my sanity, and would dearly like some help with understanding the current market. My (current) genres are science fiction and fantasy.

First, I'd definitely like to know how the market is on accepting new SF and Fantasy. I know there's blurb somewhere about them being among the most profitable genres, but I'd like some down-to-earth advice about how acceptable it is and what agencies are most receptive.

Second, I'd like some help on how the self-publishing market's going. The last time I tried it, my work was not as polished and the market seemed flooded. How's it going now, and how can I do my best to make sure I get noticed?

Many thanks to anyone who can help. If there is some way I can securely share some of my writing for others to see here, I'd be more than willing to do so.
    Hello there Lara.We'll have less of that aspiring thing ta. If you are creating words in sentences in a text format you are writing!

Have a look through Writing Magazine for articles from Alex Davis, (SFF) Steve Chapman covers horror - Gary Dalkin also covers the genre too.

The market is always "strong" for SFF, but then there are always writers looking to place it and agents who know what they are looking for and can spot those who read/know the genre from those who don't. Whereabouts in the world are you? The reason I ask is there are plenty of little communities online and those you can attend in person specially tailored for the genre.

As to self publishing, this is a very strong area for SFF however, you really have to do the work, writing, editing, re-writing, book cover (keep it professional) and so much more to be taken "seriously." There are a lot of small/independent presses in Australia, UK, USA, Spain all making in roads into the traditional markets.

Hope that helps!
  • Hi Lara,
    I'd definitely like to know how the market is on accepting new SF and Fantasy. I know there's blurb somewhere about them being among the most profitable genres
    I'd be wary of letting anyone tell you SF and Fantasy are especially profitable. There is a steady demand for new titles but unless you manage to break out of the genre (i.e. the way Game of Thrones or Harry Potter has done), an SFF title is always going to be regarded as niche, usually tucked away at the back of the bookshop. Don't get me wrong, plenty of authors make a living from SFF, but you can't rely on as broad a market as that for crime/romance/thriller.

The main thing is to put concerns about profitability aside, and just make the book the absolute best it can be. That's the only part of the process you have full control over. Even if you self-publish and do everything yourself, you still can't force people to buy it, read it, or review it. But if it's good enough, they will.
  • SF is also the hardest genre to write as every part of the world has to be invented - and thought about, as even the things you keep the same have to be the same because it makes sense for THAT world as well as this. Also, if there is a huge moon or two moons near the planet you are talking about, you have to know the science behind what that will mean for that world. It's very hard to maintain.

I've read several SFs that were completely laughable.
  • ...Steve Chapman covers horror...
    Fame at last!

Lara,

The market will always be ‘flooded’, it always was, it’s just a bit easier to see this fact now everything is online. You can’t mention being a writer without everyone in a three-mile radius screaming “I had an idea for a book once!” If even a fraction of these people write a book, and a fraction of them send said book to an agent/publisher/editor, then rain clouds brew and floods of biblical proportions are on the horizon. Don’t let this disparage you from slapping on your wellies and splashing in the puddles with the rest of us.

The best thing you can do is get out there and meet your fellow writers. In most other ‘competitive’ professions it can be dangerous to share your work or methods…

My father is a professional photographer and had to delete some of his social media accounts because it was just three-thousand photographers following him trying to steal his ideas and business.

…but with writers? I’ve found we motivate and inspire and lift our fellow authors up more than anything else. The first time I ever went to a writing convention and people asked what I had out there, I hung my head in shame and mumbled “…n…n…nothing…” and did the other writers sneer and jest? Did they turn away in disgust to talk to a “real” writer? Did they ‘eckers like! They asked me what I was writing at the moment, asked if they could read it, asked if they could help!

Everything I’ve had published was a result of a friend pointing me in the right direction, or hearing of me through another writer, or from me hanging about on forums such as this one. Being part of the community is one of the most valuable weapons a writer has in their arsenal – embrace your fellow authors! Wield them!

As others have said, whatever route you pursue into publishdom, there will be hard work and no guarantees. Try them all. Get some short stories sent off to small presses, pitch articles to various magazines, publish a novella on Amazon, take a punt with a novel and send it off to some agents.

Most self-help books on the subject start incredibly slowly and spread the advice over so many topics that may not be relevant to you that they’re as thin as a British Rail sandwich. I’d compare most books on writing to a 900-page book on lacing your shoes for runners…sort of useful for about three seconds then just lots of superfluous information. Sod that, grab some grubby and tatty trainers and get out there for a run!

P.S. You’re more than welcome to email some writing over to a few of us for a quick read through. I’m always (a bit too) willing to slash through someone’s work with my reddest of red pens :)