Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Which markets to aim an ebook at?

edited May 2016 in Writing
Just 6 weeks or so, the estimate,to complete my first ebook to go up on Amazon.

Someone suggested that, this tale can be marketed and promoted to both the English and American speaking countries, as the English words/meanings/settings, will have a 'quaintness' about them for the American readers, which might be more appealing to them, rather than to try and write or adapt it for that market, alone? Any thoughts on this one...?

Comments

• Yep, I have the same books on Amazon worldwide. They are quintessentially English. Lots of the thrillers I read are American and I'm happy with that. I wouldn't expect those authors to adapt the books for the English market as it would take something away.
  • Unles you're fluent in American (or your proofreader/editor are) and can be 100% certain of correctly changing every word, spelling, phrase and getting the tone and grammar absolutely right, I think it would be best to stick to the one version of the book.

Promotion and marketing are a different issue. If you wish to actively do that in America (as opposed to just realeasing it to the US and relying on your UK marketing) then you probably would need to put a slightly different spin on things.
  • Just to underline PM's first point, you have had it edited? Essential for sales anywhere!
  • TBH, if it's only six weeks till the launch, the marketing should already be in place.
  • Yeah. Sounds sensible, that. Stick to what you know.. Less mistakes made, then.. And, yep, I will be having my sentences, grammar etc, edited by another, for errors...

Just how do you release/market ebooks for different markets, worldwide? On Amazon...? Someone suggested the KDP Programme, giving away some free sample short stories to lure readers and gain a subscriber's list? Essential? What do you think?
  • Yep, I sure be on top of that, marketing. Been a lot of problems going on here. Facebook, Twitter, blog posts, is that what you mean? Going to be difficult, technology not being my forte, but, if I want some sort of success, I'll have to step on the accelerator..
  • Six weeks isn't long to have a manuscript edited, copy-edited and proofread.

• Just how do you release/market ebooks for different markets, worldwide? On Amazon...?
    When you upload the book you choose where you want it to be available. Just tick the appropriate boxes.
  • There is about 160 pages right now. Will have to check for word count, not over 40,000, I Think.

Worried about grammar, as, it's not my forte. It's on my notebook PC, but seems laborious to go through every sentence correcting this. Could prove costly to hire someone...?
  • YSomeone suggested the KDP Programme, giving away some free sample short stories to lure readers and gain a subscriber's list? Essential? What do you think?
    I have a free collection of short stories available. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Drop-Drink-Patsy-Collins-ebook/dp/B009RX5MGS?ie=UTF8&qid=1463999861&ref_=la_B004O08LRQ_1_4&s=books&sr=1-4

This was done as a promotional tool and has probably helped a little. Feel free to download and see how I've attempted to 'lure' readers into buying my novels!
  • There is about 160 pages right now. Will have to check for word count, not over 40,000, I Think.

Worried about grammar, as, it's not my forte. It's on my notebook PC, but seems laborious to go through every sentence correcting this. Could prove costly to hire someone...?
    I'd say it was essential. Your problem will be in finding someone at short notice.
  • This is the proofreader I use. She's very good. Charges are listed on the site.

http://www.helenbaggott.co.uk
  • edited May 2016
    It would be a mistake to rush your project just because you have a date in mind.
  • Please step back and look at what needs to be done to get your manuscript up to standard.

PM and Baggy know what they are talking about.

Self-publishing is about much more than just writing and promoting...

• Yep. That looks professional. Baggy Books website for proofreading etc. I'll send her an enquiry email. For her critique service too.

The date I upload my e-book onto Amazon can be delayed until everything is 'up and ready to go'. Just a little impatient to get things going... This would allow me time for promoting of this tale on my social media sites, being set up right now...

And, yep, I will download those free short stories PM and get a flavour of how to lure potential readers to my tales.. Thanks for all this free advice everyone...

Just as an addition, what is the difference between Createspace, Amazon and other sites...? Can you sell your e-book on various ones...? Or are their stipulations to each company...?
  • I do absolutely understand your impatience. Getting a book 'out there' is very exciting. The excitement won't last long though if nobody buys it or worse, people do buy it and point out lots of errors before angrily demanding their money back.

You can't guarantee success in terms of sales, but there are things you can do to help - and taking the time to get the book as good as it can possibly be before releasing it is one of them.

Do set up all the social media stuff now though. It's fine to mention you have a book you're working on, to try to build up interest.

Before paying for any services, you might like to ask about the individual or company on here, to see if anyone has dealt with them. Unfortunately there are people about who'll try to cheat unwary authors.

Createspace is part of Amazon. That's where you can upload a book to be produced as a paperback. Kindle books are done slightly differently. You can just use one format, or both.

Each company has it's own rules and you'd have to go through a different procedure for each. Generally you can use lots of different companies, but there may be restrictions. Eg if you're exclusive with Amazon you can do free or discount promotions through them very easily. It's harder to do that kind of thing if you use several companies.
  • Let us know when you have it published.
  • Yep, absolutely have noted down everything that has been written up on this forum. I am learning a lot through this.. So a very good experience and learning curve...

Create space is just for producing paperbacks, not ebooks? Is there any information or website that collates all the details of these two giants so that I can get a better assessment of them, in plain, simple language...? Or is it best to check out there own individual websites information for that...?

Is it a good idea to promote ones ebooks in discounts orfree, as with Amazon. Are you more likely to gain followers that way? How do you possibly choose from one icompany to another if there are so many... Lots of research needed first, methinks. Can you get out of a contract or whatever if you sign up for it...?
  • Yep.will do, Jen. Thanks for your interest...!
  • If you upload a document to CreateSpace in order to publish a paperback, it offers the option to make a Kindle copy for you too.
  • It's so wonderful how all these technologies and related aspects to them all link up together... It must be equivalent to natural selection, in that it all evolves towards a 'perfect fit'. But alas, some efforts fall by the wayside, so just like Darwinism, this formula isn't perfect either...