Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Can you create a flat tyre with a nail file?

edited September 2016 in Writing
Same question as above. Can a sharp nail file puncture a tyre? If not, is there anything in a woman's handbag that could puncture a tyre?

Comments

• I'd have thought a pair of nail scissors might do the job more effectively than a nail file.
  • Don't you just need to stick something in the valve? No need to actually pierce the tyre.
  • need a lot of pressure to do it with nail file - tyres are tough.

as Baggy said use the valve to deflate tyre.
  • edited September 2016

• Criminals, the lot of you!
  • This is obviously a question to fit into a plot line.

A nail file, no matter how sharp, would PROBABLY bend before it pierced the tyre.

If your character wanted to do something covert to deflate the tyre, I would think that the character might be carrying something hobby-related, say a leatherwork hole punch. Straight through the sidewall of the tyre (which is thinner) not the tread!!)

Alternatively, she could be a tradie (carpenter would be excellent, then she has reason to carry a chisel) again, straight through the sidewall. Gee, I'm starting to sound like a bloke!

If she leaves it in the tyre, then you have scope to introduce DNA identification.
  • Could she place something underneath the tyre that it would drive over?

Although people drive around with all sorts embedded, don't they?

What about Superglue in the locks/on the windscreen wipers?
  • Just stick something in the valve. Works every time. >-)
  • Or use the fact they're a bugger to deflate in your story! :D
  • But a leather punch has two sides, a puncher and the other side to press against and position - you couldn't get it round a tyre? A bradawl would be a hole punch but needs a hammer really. Not sharp enough. And - can't you get hurt, bursting tyres? I'd definitely go Baggy's way. (Or take her with me.)
  • Oooh, just watching programme about transforming furniture with Gok and they are making a tyre into a dog bed - and using a staple gun to attach things. I have had a staple gun in my handbag before now...
  • Most handbags are big enough to accommodate a sawn off shotgun, some would hide a rocket launcher. Both of those items would more than do the job
  • Thanks everyone for the answers. Baggy, what sort of thing would you stick in the valve?
  • What about slashing tyres? Is that something that could be effective as a way of getting back at someone? And stopping someone from driving away?
  • I've heard of it being done, but I think it is a more 'male' thing to do.
  • Thanks everyone for the answers. Baggy, what sort of thing would you stick in the valve?
    Something of similar size and shape to a very narrow screwdriver. A pen might do it. I'll wait till dark and run some tests.

• In my very younger days, my friends and myself use to do naughty things like letting tyres down, we used a matchstick broken in two, and wedged then in the valve.
  • And then you could burn the evidence and get rid of the DNA. Perfect.
  • This forum has everything, including criminal masterminds.
  • Never know who you're talking to these days ;)
  • edited September 2016
    Speaking of criminal masterminds: if a dognapper was stealing dogs from houses in a village, where might he park his van? Or might there be two men: one to drive and one to steal?
  • Depends on the plot. How many characters you have. What the location's like.
  • Depends on how fast the need is to get away, and of course if the perpetrator wanted to share any monetary gains.
  • I think that the best thieves are those that don't behave as thieves, i.e. you hear about men in uniforms/fluorescent jackets/with identity badges, etc - people who'd you'd never suspect - committing crimes. So maybe your thief looks perfectly legitimate, maybe with a 'Petcare' label on his clothing and a plain van that doesn't look suspicious at all, or even a car.

Otherwise, you'd have to imagine the geography and decide which places would give the van cover.
  • It was going to happen at night time, but it probably would work best during the day. Thanks for the help and advice. :D
  • Ive seen a video of two men snatching fogs in broad daylight. You vould probably gind it on YouTube
  • Snatching fogs? Incredible.
  • Whatare you babbling about Lizy, 'snatching fogs' ? Go and have aa lie down dear!
  • Now, snatching frogs, we've all done that.
  • Dogs, you idiots! One small typo and you all gang up on me.
    *sulks*
  • 'snatching fogs'

Oh, how I laughed!
  • Still laughing...
  • You shouldn't laugh, TN, you might be like it yourself one day.
  • I'm sorry, Lizy and sm

...but it was hilarious.
  • He he - not only did Lizy see fogs being snatched... she helpfully suggested we vould probably gind it on YouTube.
    :-j

Sorry - but that's just too funny.
  • Giggle amongst yourselves.

One day you will have crappy eyesight then it'll be my turn to mock.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank goodness for sm.
  • LizLiz
    edited September 2016
  • Giggle amongst yourselves.

One day you will have crappy eyesight then it'll be my turn to mock.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank goodness for sm.
    But he mocked you too!
    Whatare you babbling about Lizy, 'snatching fogs' ? Go and have aa lie down dear!
    Anyway, anyway - feel free to mock me right now for not noting down a brilliant idea when I had said brilliant idea and now I've forgotten said brilliant idea...

• I never thought I'd say this, but thank goodness for sm.
    *proud*

• You shouldn't laugh, TN, you might be like it yourself one day.
    HE also said this, Claudia - I'll take any friend going in a storm of mockery.

• Hmm, well at least he's your friend... always ignores me. :(
  • edited September 2016
    :-O

*distraught*

*contemplates the desirability or otherwise of having Lizy for a friend*
  • Never mind your fragile emotional state...

Ooh, a new avatar!
  • And yes, SM... it's something you do EVERY day.
  • *The pursuit of excellence*
  • Did we solve the flat tyre problem?
  • The flat tyre isn't the problem.
    It's the absence of flatness that's the cause for concern.

Go and scoop your curry up and come back when you can concentrate.
  • Oh, so it is.

I am getting old too.
  • It will only be flat on the bottom, anyway 8-|