Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

ALCS again!

Comments

• Today is distribution day!

"We make payments twice a year to Members – in September and in March. Depending on whether we've collected any money for your works, you might receive payment in one or both ALCS Distributions in any one year. If you do not receive a payment in September, look out for the next ALCS Distribution in March 2017.

The ALCS September Distribution is the second and smaller of our two annual distributions to ALCS members."

I didn't receive a payment or a statement so I'm guessing all mine was covered in the last lot. Also still waiting on latest article to be added...will be nice to get the payment for that after Christmas I suppose when my bank account is extra empty!
  • The one paid out this time is usually associated with medical journals etc.
  • I thought it also caught anything after March that was applicable. I've done bugger all since March anyways so was never gonna get anything :p
  • Where the heck can you see your statement on the site? It's got past statements but not current...
  • I'd assume the March one would now be under past statements.

Last time I looked the statements past and latest were all on the same page in your account section.
  • If you can't see a September one then I'm guessing you didn't get a payment either.
  • That is the case.
    I have never had a September payment.
  • I have, though.
  • It did say it might be soon after 21st...give it 48 hours.
  • I can never remember my login.
  • Ditto, thank god it's an easy one to recover :)
  • I've just come across this thread and very useful if's been too! I didn't realise you could register fiction anthologies you have a story in, so have just entered 5 on my account.
  • Should be a nice total next March with your articles too, Dene. :)

If you provide photos/illustrations for your articles in UK publications then DACS is relevant- but I know they've changed the sign-up system, so you might have missed this year's.
  • Should be a nice total next March with your articles too, Dene. :)

If you provide photos/illustrations for your articles in UK publications then DACS is relevant- but I know they've changed the sign-up system, so you might have missed this year's.
    I got a cracking payout this March after registering about 20 articles last year when I discovered ALCS. Hopefully the anthologies and more magazine articles will give me another good one next March. Will also investgate DACS.
  • DACS is a wonderful way to boost earnings. Love 'em.
  • I nearly peed with excitement when I got my first payment. It may have been peanuts to most, but it was exactly what I needed at the time! :) I need to write more!
  • I tried to do it last year but got confused with the forms.
  • Tis easy enough online, lemme know if you want a hand filling them in :)
  • Why, thank you kindly, br!
  • DACS is a wonderful way to boost earnings. Love 'em.
    I've just created a DACS account and logged my photographs. Since you can register relevant works up till the end of 2015 I actually had more than I thought (14 magazine issues and well over 30 photos), and I'm so glad that I keep a copy of magazines with my articles in! Will be interesting to see if I get a payout in December.
  • The deadline for including any articles (which includes stories or poems) or book contribution to be included in the March 2017 payment is 30th November.
    As they look at a 3 year window and work almost a year behind you can still include any things from 1/1/2013 to 31/12/2015.
    (More recent things can be added now but there won't be any payment for them till March 2018.)
  • Oh, I will have to have another go at the forms...
  • PM or email me if you need any help TN.
    It really isn't very difficult.
  • Thank you. I remember filling in one then they sent another, and I got confused.
  • What section do you add published letters to in your ALCS account?
  • Didn't think you could, Carol...

Says in the handbook:

We currently pay writers of:

- Books
    - Chapters in books
    - Essays in books
    - Poems
    - Scripts (TV and radio)
    - Articles (in magazines and journals)
  • It doesn't mention short fiction specifically either, but you include it under articles. A letter is still a piece of written and published work in which you own copyright.
    I would try that Carol - if they don't like it they can reject it.
  • I just glanced at the site for PLR and it seemed pretty straight forward...then I saw the gumph on shares and working them out yourself...ugh, noooope. If I'm in a book with nine other authors, do I ask for 10% Or less because editor and cover desginer and publisher...and do we all get equal shares? Bah, too much to work out at the moment, will come back to it when I'm feeling smart.
  • The publisher should tell you what percentage you are entitled to, if you ask.
  • I know people who have had letters accepted in the past Br.

Yes, I registered my pieces of short fiction from the print copy of the One Word Collection when it became available, and although I put it in the wrong section they corrected it, and I've received payment from it.

Thanks, Heather, I'll do that. :)

• I know people who have had letters accepted in the past Br.
    Awesome! *starts writing more letters*
  • I knew I'd have trouble.

I tried to register as I had no details recorded of any prior registration and it told me that my registration had failed. It suggested that maybe I was already a member and had forgotten my password (probably the case) so asked for my user name and email address so that it could re-send my password. I used my own name as my user name and it told me that was wrong.

So I can't register or log in.
  • Ring them up, they're very helpful.
  • I need it written down, Carol. I have no memory. None at all. Their words will just go over my head.
    I have just emailed them.
  • If I'm in a book with nine other authors, do I ask for 10% Or less because editor and cover desginer and publisher...and do we all get equal shares?
    With the anthologies I'm in, I guessed my percentage based on the number of authors. In one case I was contacted and said I'd be getting a slightly lower share (can't remember if they said it was because the editor got a share or I just assumed that) and the others were accepted.
  • Next question then, what's the difference between UK and UK/IRL memberships. If it's just that you also get PLR if books are borrowed in IRL, wouldn't everyone sign up to this option regardless?
  • You're getting your ALCS mixed up with your PLRs, BR!
  • Nuh uh, I was talking about PLR but couldn't be *rsed making another thread :P Just signed up for PLR and printing off the supporting forms document as we speak :)
  • PLR and ALCS have been going through a lot of changes, taking on more responsibilities.
  • I also wondered the same thing about PLR. I signed up for both. I mean, why wouldn't you!
  • Maybe it was more awkward in the past to be part of UK and IRL ones? *shrug* I don't know, I'm winging this whole writing lark.
  • I think the IRL ones were managed by some other organisation, and then changes were made and they're now under one roof.

Can't remember the exact details, but I know I read something about it in one of the newsletters I receive from various writing organisations.
  • I've been emailed the form so get ready for much bleating from me.

Bleat 1:

In Section 2 Additional Information, it says:-

'Please pass my details to:
    Public Lending Right
    The Society of Authors
    The Writers' Guild of Great Britain'

Which, if any, do I tick?
  • Well, if you're a member of the Society of Authors you should list your work with them. They will update ALCS and vice versa. That means you only do it once.
  • I'm not, so I won't tick that box.

Do I tick Public Lending Right?
  • I'm guessing it's more 'you'll receive emails from these dudes' rather than we'll set up accounts with them, so I'd click none of them, and set up the accounts with the individuals when and if I wanted to :)
  • Thanks, kids.
    I've just noticed that reference is made to an information guide which should be consulted before answering each question, so I've just requested that.
  • Just work through it slowly and you'll be fine.
  • Thanks, Carol.
    I've now got the guide.

But I still need to bleat...

In Section 3 'Your published works', do I include self-published works as well as trad. published? Should I do a mixture?

Although there are only spaces for four books, it seems as though I can add others later.
  • I don't remember it being complicated in any way.