Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Assessment of first few chapters.

edited November 2016 in Writing
Received back that report. Lots of issues. The assessor's most valuable comments were that she felt my style was more suited to a film script.

So, after evaluating her words, and watching a lesbian love story that, although had obviously sophisticated actresses playing these roles, was quite simply written(Tru Love).

Thus, just like an animal adapting to its environment, I feel that I can exploit my talent in this field, and use it to explore lesbian love and lust, by 'upgrading' my book's themes to a more sophisticated setting, but retaining the simplicity of the dialogue, and ridding it of any suggestions of working class influences...

This is now my aim. So I will watch some films, maybe straight ones too, with simple themes and dialogue, so obviously aimed at the 'mass end' of the lesbian community, rather than the elistest ones, and adapt my ideas around lesbian themes, mostly, cutting out the heterosexual references too. Think I have found my 'voice' with regard to this genre. Whether I'll succeed or not,well, best to get on with things and see what develops. If not this one, maybe the next...? The assessor has given valauble feedback and insight...

Comments

• Very good, Lydia. You now have a concrete starting point to work from. Set all your chapters aside one by one, and work through them with a side sheet of the overall plan. With work, any one can succeed. It's just a matter of how much they put in!!
  • LizLiz
    edited November 2016
    With work, any one can succeed. It's just a matter of how much they put in!!
    I totally disagree. Some people will never make it no matter how much work they put in because they don't have any talent. Much like the hapless souls on X Factor who simply cannot understand why they are rejected. To themselves, they sound good.

Good luck with the new scheme, Lydia. Sounds like a script is where you have to go.

• Pleased it was useful for you, Lydia.
    Good luck!
  • At least you have a starting point to work from.
  • Didn't it start off as a film script, Lydia?

So, you've gone round in circles!
  • You have a direction, and you have a plan. Go for it.

But for goodness' sake, stop all the 'working class v. sophisticated' stuff, which is frankly irrelevant - just write what's true for the characters and their story.
  • Hope the info puts you in the right direction, Lydia.

I can remember a few years ago watching a programme about a lesbian love,
    it was based during WW11. I've been trying to remember the title. I hope someone in the forum will remember, it was a lovely story and one that you might want to see.

All the best with your writing.
  • Thank you all for your kind comments. It is really helpful to get such support and encouragement. Now comes the hard part. Instead of just writing the first thing that comes into my head, I am going to have to do some research, to make notes on how others write about such topics, and pick up on things being expressed in them, and then to turn those notes into ideas for the themes etc for my particular script. To actually write with a plan and to come up with dialogue that is 'sideways on', with subtext, rather than 'on the nose' type of statements...

One more thing. I joined the website for IMDB, related to films etc, but haven't really participated in any of the activities and messages on there. Does anyone know anything about this website, as to whether it can be a good tool for connected up with like-minded types?i like the idea that they have discussions on philosophy, politics etc, and music, books not just confine down to films. This could really open up things for me if I can find out how to communicate effectively on there?
  • I think that's a really good idea.
  • LizLiz
    edited November 2016
    IMDB is for film fans or TV fans or actor fans, not writers. It won't open anything whatsoever for you, I shouldn't think.
  • My son's on it, actually, as an actor.
  • It's an excellent site for answering, 'What was he in?'. Apart from that it's not of any real use.

I use it all the time but I am not writing scripts.
  • It won't open anything whatsoever for you, I shouldn't think.
    Liz, your realism is tonic.
    Received back that report. Lots of issues. The assessor's most valuable comments were that she felt my style was more suited to a film script.
    I would have thought the issues were equally valuable. At least you have a direction now. Enjoy.