Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Renaming a blog

edited December 2016 in Writing
A year ago I changed my Blogspot blog name from lizy-expat-writer to http://lizy-writes.blogspot.co.uk/
This week I found this comment from Linda D, who used to read my expat blog.

"Just rediscovered and catching up with your blog. According to my Blogger reading list you haven't posted anything for a year!? I found my way here via Twitter. Enjoying reading lots of brilliant stories!"

Is there any way I can send a mail-shot to the 100 followers whose names came across when I changed the name of my blog? Something to tell them where to find me now - if they're still interested?

Comments

• Unless you have your own mailing list, no.

I had the same issue when I bought my domain name and applied it to my blogger blog.

• When you next comment on their blogs you could add an explanation. You'd only have to write it once and then copy it in.
  • Write a comment about where you are now, including an address link to the new blog, copy it, go down the last comments each of those followers made and reply to the comment by pasting your comment on each one.
  • Won't people only see Lizy's replies if they revisit her blog?
  • Or do what I learnt to do during the A-Z challenge and always post a blog signature when you make a comment because it's the quickest way for anyone to find you. PM me if you want the info on how to do it.
  • But it may send a "Lizy has replied to your comment" if they ticked the appropriate box when commenting :)
  • Won't people only see Lizy's replies if they revisit her blog?
    That's my point, PM - this woman was clearly looking for me and spotted me through Twitter. Probably everyone else has forgotten me and won't visit now because they don't know my address. I thought I might be able to liven up a few of them.

It's strangely annoying to have 100 virtual followers who never visit.

• It's strangely annoying to have 100 virtual followers who never visit.

I can well understand that! I don't have anything like that number of followers, but my comments have dropped dramatically in the last month and I wish I knew why!
  • my comments have dropped dramatically in the last month and I wish I knew why!
    NaNo?

Comments do seem to be down generally.
  • I never thought of NaNo. That might be a contributor.
    I do acknowledge that my latest post isn't much cop, but it's not always possible to maintain good quality posts when other life events take over. I also find it a chore sometimes to trawl through lots of blogs to leave comments and often wonder if I'm wasting precious writing time on 'social media' stuff.
    Sorry - didn't mean this to turn into a moan. :(
  • Moan all you need to, we all feel like that on occasions!
  • I I also find it a chore sometimes ... and often wonder if I'm wasting precious writing time
    Then why do it? There are lots of positives about blogging as well as negatives (and taking up writing time is certainly one of the latter). If, for you, the positives don't outweigh the negatives then you're not obliged to continue with it.
  • A blog was the easiest way I could see (and understand!) to create an online presence. Those of us who haven't been published yet still live in hope.
  • Same reason as Lizy, PM.
    I don't want the complication of a facebook page which will impinge on my existing family and friends page and I've never fancied Twitter.
    A blog seemed like a good way to take control of what I want the outside world to see of my writing. But it does take a lot of effort sometimes and I'm not sure if I'm really gaining anything. Fifty six comments at the peak of the A-Z Challenge has dwindled to ten on the current post (and that's including my replies!). :(
  • A free static website would give you both an online presence and wouldn't need to be regularly updated. There are lots of ways in which a blog is better, but if all you want is for someone to be able to put your name into a search engine and get a result, maybe the website would be enough?
  • It's something I need to think about.
  • You can have a website with a blog, which will bring people if you do one, but you wouldn't have to do it so often.
  • I get more comments now because of the flash fiction group i belong to, where members are encouraged to visit as many blogs as possible. Even so, including my loyal TB friends, my recent record is only 17 comments, 34 with my replies.
  • Is that not good then? Sounds great to me!
  • Most blog visitors don't comment. On the womagwriter blog I recently ran a poll, which over 200 people took part in, yet I usually only have a handful of comments.
  • I really need to give my blog a kick up its. Blogging Bottom
  • 17 is good by most standards, but this flash fiction group has some members who get three times that. Comment envy is bad for me, so i shall stop.