Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

2017 writing goals

edited December 2016 in Writing
What are your writing goals for 2017?

My goal is to write more pieces for Ships Monthly, Aviation News and This England/Evergreen, get published in at least one new county magazine, and get published in one new special interest magazine.

Comments

• My husband writes for Ships Monthly - I'm going to leave that one to him but I would like to write more non fiction.
  • See if I can blog successfully

Plus I have an interesting time prepared for a character I know extremely well as I will be attending a five week course where the main aim is really put this one through the mangle

• Get my short novel finished, write some more short stories, and make some progress on my non-fiction project.
  • Get my short novel finished, write some more short stories, and make some progress on my non-fiction project.
    What's your non-fiction project?
  • edited December 2016
    I'll PM you Dene. :)
  • My goal for 2017 is to see my Fiji book finished and ready for subbing.
  • C2C2
    edited December 2016
    I'm busting to know about the teeth :D

My goal is to enter more competitions.
  • My goal for 2017 is to find out about Carol's non-fiction project. ;)
  • I plan to get this years Nano novel completed and edited - and then need to come up with an idea for Nano-17 :)

What do "normal" people do without all these characters vying for attention in their heads??? ;;)
  • edited December 2016
    They make themselves avaiavailable as writing fodder for weirdos like uslot on here

• My goal for 2017 is to find out about Carol's non-fiction project. ;)
    nothing mega-exciting or writing related. It may never see the light of day.

• I'm busting to know about the teeth :D
    Oh that did make me laugh, C2! You'll have to buy the book to find out!
  • I most certainly will.
  • First things first, C2. I hope you're getting your 'teeth' into mine!!
  • edited December 2016
    To compile a book of short stories and flash fiction and self publish it.

There, I've said it, now I'll have to get my finger out and do it!
  • Not exactly a writing goal, but I want to create a programme to take around schools to promote my children's books whilst also providing input on the writing process.

(I have said this for four years and still haven't done it!)

I might summon up the courage to do a few short story readings too. I have been asked to do one in February.

I have two books of themed short stories to finish.

I have a new children's book idea in the pipeline.

I am not holding my breath...
  • edited December 2016
    My goal is to make a decision where I should focus my writing.

I've been falling between two stools lately, by spreading myself too thinly, and not only has my book been cancelled and the competition circuit been dire but I appear to have lost my seat at the Take a Break table by not subbing there much this year. There's only so much of me to go round and I'd rather succeed at one thing than fail at three or four.
  • Good post, Heather. Make the decision quick - and then go for it!!
  • My goal is to get more stories out there and work on my pocket novel. Only sold one story this year so would like to increase that if possible.
  • My goal is to stop faffing about. It's been my goal every year for longer than I like to think, but I still seem to have endless writing 'jobs' half done. Of course, looking at Talkback doesn't count as faffing!
  • You and me both, Kayess!
  • Loving this thread!
  • See 2016's goals.

Carried over from 2015
  • I want to try and finish my book and write some new poems.
  • edited December 2016
    L.M. Towton writing goals for 2017 will be getting book #1 out to agents, book #2 edited and book #3 (unrelated to the first two) as a finished first draft.

Maybe also writing some solo and collab shorts.
  • My novel will be self-published in January. Then there's the sequel to write, and the one I put on hold while I dashed off the current one (it wasn't supposed to take four years).
  • Onya Mrs B.

I hope you find the sequel easier than the first. Of course you have the framework; it's just pulling 90,000 words from your head that takes effort!

My Beyond all Doubt is trade released in January, and then I have to stump up with a sequel scheduled for June 28 release. In the final stages now.

As for a 2017 goal, I want to do something in the 'family saga' arena as a distinct shift from crime. Got no ideas at present; I guess that's what makes it a challenge!
  • Finish the first draft of my ya novel, finish the final draft of Letter to Pluto sequel, get a non rhyming picture book accepted, plan out Letter to Pluto 3, submit musical to From Page to Stage festival. Can't wait to get going!
  • See 2016's goals.

Carried over from 2015
    Sounds like me...if I made any in the first place :) :) :)

• Stuff and things! I dunno...I kind of wing my writing :)

More winging! That's my goal!
  • C2C2
    edited January 2017
    What I've read so far, br you have a good pair of wings, carry on the good work.

And so have the rest of you Tbers.

I'm on chapter six, pet, and your character, Marchant is coming across as a bit of a loose cannon, physically he brings to mind an American detective, I think he was called Cannonball, maybe you are too young to remember the programme. I'm hoping Olivia gets to give Marchant a verbal kick in the, watsits. Reading on tonight.
  • LizLiz
    edited January 2017
    1) Sing a poem for the book mentioned in point 3 to the tune of I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General on Feb 13th at Southbank London to an audience of 11 year olds...

2) Write the poems for a book I've had accepted (Macmillan) but not written the poems for by the end of February (MUST get going)

3) Launch 'Reaching the Stars' Poems About Extraordinary Women and Girls (Macmillan) in March, and sell it in schools...

4) Finish off book for Bloomsbury

5) Finish several other projects and send in some new ideas.

6) Make a Powerpoint which will wow people without me having to.
  • That's some itinerary, Liz.

I like presenting video clips, text and music with Powerpoint, a very useful bit of kit.
  • Sounds like an amazing year, Liz!

• I'm on chapter six, pet, and your character, Marchant is coming across as a bit of a loose cannon . . . I'm hoping Olivia gets to give Marchant a verbal kick in the, watsits. Reading on tonight.
    Thanks C2. Of course I couldn't possibly tell you whether Marchant gets his dues, or not.
    I shamefully concede many springs have passed this chicken; I do not know of 'Cannonball'. Just looked it up -- ran from 1958 to 1959. Now I can safely say that 'Marchant' is a product of my schizoid imagination.

>:)