Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Just started.

edited August 2017 in Writing
Hello there. I'm new to writing and as I type this post, I feel like the lightest Helium balloon with a big bright target painted on me. I've launched myself into the bright blue. I feel an exuberance within me, a sense of expectation. Oh no! Here comes the bullets.
I didn't do well at english in school. I'm in my fifties. I started to write a short story last year and finished it with 20.000 words. I loved writing the story and had it put together in book form by a friend. I gave the book to some people and asked for feedback (Friends never tell the truth). One person told me I have a steep learning curve if I wanted to write, I took that as a compliment as they could have said "Very steep" I have started another story, I'm feeling the buzz already. I have rambled on a bit, but I hoped a keen eye would read between the lines.
Is there any hope for me, or should I just write for pleasure.

Comments

• Welcome! There's always hope and you should always write for pleasure.
  • Pleasure first.
    Anything else is a bonus.
  • Hi Rob, and welcome to a place where you can talk 'writing' in all its aspects with people who understand.
    I agree with BB and Heather - write for pleasure first. The important thing is to embrace and enjoy the learning curve, and success may come your way in due course! :)
  • Hello Rob_d. :)
  • Hi Rob_d. Welcome to Talkback.
  • Hi Rob_d, and welcome. Write for pleasure. Learn to cut your own work down to size.
    You were very brave to let anyone read a first attempt!
    Keep going.
  • Just started?

He said 'started' snailmail not 'far ...

Oh never mind

Welcome

*sprays air freshner and leaves*
  • Hello, welcome, well done for starting, just keep on practising, you can write whatever age you are (I'm 58, nearly 59, and I only started when I was about 48.
  • Just started?

He said 'started' snailmail not 'far ...

Oh never mind

Welcome

*sprays air freshner and leaves*
    You called, dorakins?

Yes. That.
  • Write for pleasure as writing for a job makes it feel like a chore. Write what you love and someone else will love it too. I was so focused on being published I lost the joy and let fears etc bring me down but not anymore
    Yes. That.
    It's difficult to throw oneself into a piece if there's no pleasure in it. If something is not meaningful in some way we generally find it harder to perform it.
  • Hello and welcome. I've been one here for around a year, maybe a little less, and the natives seem friendly.
    Dip your toes into the discussions and have fun with your writing.
  • Hi Rob, and congratulations on finding a love of writing. The majority of writers here do it because it's a compulsion. We all get better at it over time, and so will you.
    Feel free to join in with all our discussions - and fire away with any questions. There is a lot of expertise among the members of the forum and everyone will be more than happy to help.
  • Hello, Rob, and welcome. Write for the sheer joy of it - which is clearly what you're doing. Write to tell the story because you must. That's what it's all about. Do you read? That's as good as a classroom.
    Nobody writes a printable book without a huge amount of hard work: the saying is that writing is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration, but that doesn't tell you how exhilarating it is at the same time. If you're enjoying it, keep doing it!
  • Welcome Rob - nice to meet you. I love your enthusiasm which prompts me to say, yes, yes, yes, keep writing.
  • Hi folks, thank you so much for your comments.