Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

AUTHOR'S FACEBOOK PAGE

edited October 2017 in Writing
What do I need to consider before starting another FB page just for writing related stuff?

Comments

• I can't think of anything in particular, but go for it - I've found an author page on Facebook to be really useful to keep my friends up to date with my writing without blithering on about it too much on my personal page.

It also allows you to connect with other pages by liking them 'as' your page so you can raise awareness of your presence that way.

Oh yes, get a nice header image that shows off your work!
  • Make sure you do it as a page from your existing account, rather than creating a new account - as that's against Amazon's rules.
  • edited October 2017
    Make sure you do it as a page from your existing account, rather than creating a new account - as that's against Amazon's rules.
    So how do authors - such as TN and Carol - copy from one page to another? They look like separate accounts to me *scratches head*

• On your personal FB account, go to the top bar and use the drop down arrow point, click on create page.
    This will then bring up a page of boxes and you choose the most appropriate category from there.

Once everything is set up you can manage that page from your FB account by just clicking on the name link in that dropdown arrow point, or by the shortcut - on my desktop it's the left-hand side of my newsfeed page, along with the links to any FB groups I belong to.

So depending whether you're on your personal page, or your writer page, you can share things between them by changing the account/page you want something to be posted to.

It's easier once you can see it in front of you.
  • Do I opt for book, book series - which it will be eventually - or literary arts?
    Why is nothing ever simple?
  • I think I found 'Writer' somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't remember where. It wasn't at all obvious. You can update things as you go along though.

You can link it to Twitter, etc. You could also leave links to your blog on there, Lizy.
  • Why is it against Amazon rules?

I'm going to relaunch mine soon as it is about animals mainly atm and really, most of my books are not about animals any more. Half will be, in March...

I find it an irritating thing as they keep asking me to spend money to 'feature' posts.
  • What's annoying is that the majority of the posts don't get seen by followers. FB takes it upon themselves to hold back posts from general viewing unless, as Liz says, you pay to promote them. Pah to that!
  • edited October 2017
    Why is it against Amazon rules?

I assume limiting us to one account only is an attempt to reduce spam.
  • Do I opt for book, book series - which it will be eventually - or literary arts?
    Up to you! Do you just want to promote one book, a series of books, or yourself as a writer?

I went for 'writer'.
  • As TN says, you can make changes later if needed. Or create a page just for a book.
  • I found 'writer' under 'Artists, bands etc'.

BUT I seem to have opened three new pages!! How can I delete two of them?
  • I'm not sure that people who have not committed such a debacle will know...
  • Ok just had a look in settings - down the bottom is 'delete your page'.
  • edited October 2017
    Found it thanks. Now I have only one - I think - and am trying to make it accept comma, writer after my name!

Right - Facebook apparently have to approve the change, and it will take them three days!
  • It doesn't usually take as long as they state.
  • I got a message this morning saying they'd approved it.

When we've been shopping I shall look at others' pages to see what else I need.
    Any suggestions welcome!