Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in February 2018's Writing Magazines?

edited December 2017 in - WM and WN
Who's in February 2018's magazine? The magazines probably won’t be in the shops until 4th January so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and WHICH PAGE; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Comments

• I've got mine! Seen two Tbers already (one of them twice!)
  • It's still December! I am not ready for more magazines. I have a backlog!
  • I dropped three of them into my recycling bin. Unread.
  • Goodness, I don't think I'd be able to do that, Baggy. I did have a clear out a few weeks ago and threw a dozen or so old issues into the recycling.
  • I save articles I want to re-read and refer back to, and recycle the rest..
  • I used to do that, Carol, until I realised that all the torn out pages were too unwieldy and I never referred to them anyway. This time I binned the lot without looking through them.
  • I probably only save one article per issue, and do get rid of old ones if they don't have relevant info.
  • I used to save articles and then I realised I never went back to them. They also went into the bin. I just had so much reading to do that I decided to clear it all out and begin again this year. When it arrives.
  • Liz, have you stopped subscribing to this mag, and others?

Saves the pennies if you have.
  • We have a scanner and I scan articles I want to save for reference. We have a NAS storage device (my husband Loren is a big computer buff) so I keep them all on there. Then it's recycle for the actual hard copy.
  • All these mags being dumped and recycled! So many interesting articles ending up as pulp.

Anyone fancy giving them to scouts or a similar group for them to sell as a pack at jumble sales?

Or a local writers group might enjoy receiving them?
  • When I have finished with 2017's I'll take the complete ones in to my writers' club.
  • I've donated them in the past, Dora. Perhaps I'll find somewhere here that might like them.
  • I've kept all mine (I'm so boring) but only buy them now and again at the moment.
  • Spotted several TBers!
  • Hope mine arrives today.
  • Liz, have you stopped subscribing to this mag, and others?

Saves the pennies if you have.
    Did that last year. The two magazines I get are from The Society of Authors and nawe, which cover my insurance and help with things like contracts. We get no other magazines, or papers. Oh, hang on, The Radio Times, which we cancelled the other day.

• Anyone else received their magazine today?

My postie has just been and it wasn't among the post and parcels. :(
  • Nothing but a late Christmas card here. :(
  • We've had half our post, post Christmas! First class a lot of it and posted within time of both first and second class.
  • Mine was waiting for me when I got home this evening. Will look at it later.
  • I have mine , just came, and I am shortlisted in the children's poetry comp! Great start to the new year!
  • Congratulations Nefertari.
  • Congratulations, Nef!
    Mine arrived this morning - only got as far as the letters page and saw my letter has been published. I've never written to a magazine's letters page before so I wasn't expecting anything. Nice surprise (and at first glance I don't think it's been edited).
  • 'Cork'er of a letter in February's mag. By someone who employs the same riting ('writing') technique as I do myself.
  • Well done, all.
  • My copy arrived while I was out.
  • Well done Nefertari and Claudia.
  • Just read your letter Claudia, well done.

(I minor edit the previous day's writing to get me back into the story.)
  • Well done, Nefertari and Claudia.
  • Well done Nef and Claudia xx
  • edited January 2018
    Well done Nef and Claudia!

Spotted my picture book Daddy and I in the section about Maverick Books.
  • Well done Lou.
  • That's great, Lou.
  • Feb's issue in Tesco was in cellophane as it also contained a small pamphlet about something. I think it was predictions by publishers or summat.

The presence of this pamphlet obscured the front cover and made it difficult to see what articles the mag contained

Didn't buy.
  • Well done to all you TB stars! (*)
  • Well done, Lou.
  • Last night I looked at the interview with Barbara Taylor Bradford. I was shocked to read that she is 84 years old. I looked again at the photos of her. They have obviously been severely photoshopped. No 84 year old woman can possibly have a face and neck that smooth, even with facelifts. I'm disappointed with Writing Magazine for condoning this sort of dishonesty.
  • I'm guessing they are provided by her publicist?
  • I don't know, Lou. She said in the interview that she had been to a photoshoot that morning. I suppose my point is that I get very irritated by this sort of thing - whoever is responsible for it. It's dishonest.
  • It's a shame that signs of ageing are seen as a bad thing. We should be proud of each new wrinkle - shows we've lived!