Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Interest in Pinterest?

edited February 2018 in Writing
Those of you who see my FB posts may have noticed that I've been sharing links to Pinterest today.

In the beginning, I failed to see how Pinterest could help writers, but I have really enjoyed making 'Boards' for my children's fiction. I searched for images based on elements of various books, pinned them to the page for that book, and, where possible, added a quote from the book to support the image. (Some of my quotes didn't stick as they had been pre-described by the originator).

I think that when you look at a page as a whole, it gives a good flavour of what the book is about. I wouldn't call any of the pages finished, but it's a nice ongoing distraction!

The only thing I don't know how to do is follow others (and thereby get followers). I was able to follow one TBer ( ;;) ) who followed me as I could click on the name and the option was given. I tried to look up how to find people but I am none the wiser. I can only seem to find 'Boards'.

Anyone else on Pinterest?
Tagged:

Comments

• I am but I don't really use it. I get alerts about people I might want to stalk. I have a private board for clients' book covers.
  • Thoroughly hate the thing. People regularly nick my drawings etc on there without permission and there doesn't seem to be a bloody thing I can do about it.
  • I only link my weekly blog post to Pinterest but have no idea how else to use it.
    When I have time to learn something new it will be how to make my own book covers!
  • This link takes you to several Pinterest blog posts.

https://selfpublishingadvice.org/?s=pinterest&submit=Search
  • There is a HUGE amount of copyright infringement on there, and I went through that process in the beginning but it is laboured, and I just don't have the time. I don't feel it should be MY responsibility and think the punishments should be fines. That might stop it. It seems to me that the whole premise IS to copy someone else's work - and what is more quite often the images do NOT link back to the original page.
  • Can you tell I'm cross? Had to jump through stupid hoops to complain and claim my own copyright.
  • And they do take stuff down.

A couple of times last year, pins that I'd saved from the general board of pins that come up when you log-in, were removed due to copyright infringement, and anyone else who'd saved the pin was told why it had disappeared.
  • You can make private boards for your own use, but I thought the point of it was to get your stuff seen...
  • Oh dear. Well, I hope I haven't infringed any copyrights. I just put the images on my pages if they looked a good fit. I hope Pinterest will automatically remove stuff if it shouldn't be there.
  • They only seem to remove things when they've had an infringement notice.
  • LizLiz
    edited February 2018
    They don't automatically remove stuff. That's the problem, only if the author/artist/photographer goes through interminable hoops and proofs that the stuff is actually theirs. How could they possibly police the millions of images on there? Just make sure that there is a red 'P' below the image you are using which will tell you the artist of whatever description is happy for you to pin. Most photographers are not happy. Or ask!
  • I get e mails almost everyday from pinterest, if they are of any interest I keep them but otherwise they go in the bin.
  • It's really just for creating mood boards. I wouldn't spend time trying to get followers, it's not that sort of resource. But for gathering together links for a particular project, it's great.
  • It's really just for creating mood boards. I wouldn't spend time trying to get followers, it's not that sort of resource. But for gathering together links for a particular project, it's great.