Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Disappearing page numbers - help please.

edited April 2018 in - Writing Problems
Can anyone help please? I am using Windows 10 writing a book in Word. I inserted page numbers but today they have disappeared! I have tried insert and save again but they are not saving. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2018
    I had problems with Word 2007 the other day; it wouldn't retain the formatting setting.

Try Googling the issue first, as often that provides the correct info.

I had to use the repair option for my version of Word, and it helped.

Which version of Word is it?
  • Hi Carol, Office.
  • Which version of Office? There's different versions.

2003, 2007, 2010, 365.
  • No, Carol it didn't thanks anyway.
  • Have you tried copy and pasting the whole thing into a new document which you have already set up with page numbers?
  • Yes I have and that isn't working either. In fact all page numbers on other documents have disappeared. I thought a new day might make a difference :) but it's the same. I click insert page numbers and see the page numbers there but they won't save.
  • Have you changed the page size/margins? Maybe they're outside that...

Could you remove formatting and start with a clean slate?
  • Yes I have and that isn't working either. In fact all page numbers on other documents have disappeared. I thought a new day might make a difference :) but it's the same. I click insert page numbers and see the page numbers there but they won't save.
    Thats more worrying. It can't be margins, it's something about the way Office is opening up and displaying every document.

Are you friends with b-r on FB? He usually has ideas. You can also 'chat' with microsoft to solve problems and if you can get through that is often very helpful.

• And also, sometimes all my Word docs suddenly open in the format of someone else's word doc sent to me and opened a few days before. There's this:

"Finding and Fixing Page Numbers that Can’t be Seen and/or Won’t Print
    If you have included page numbers at the foot of a page and find that they’re missing from your printouts the problem lies with your page settings. The footer text is being forced to print so far down the paper that your printer is ejecting the paper before this point is reached.

Solve the problem by selecting the Page Layout tab, click the Margins dropdown list, and click Custom Margins. Now, in this dialog select the Layout tab. Finally, increase the From edge: Footer measurement slightly. Experiment to find the smallest increase which will allow your page numbers to print."

Another way is to set your document up as a template, save that template, and then use the template to make a new document.
  • Right, I started live chat at 7.30am. Two different guys couldn't fix it so they have restored Office and all is now well! Hurrah! Taken over 2 hours. The last guy reckons something happened with the last system update. Thanks for your help, Liz , Carol and Tiny Nell.
  • I didn't comment before because I didn't have any suggestions for your problem, Nef, but I'm glad you've got it sorted. I know how frustrating things like this can be.
  • Nefertari, that last update is what I think did my first line indent problem, and that was mucking up on existing documents.
  • Hooray!
  • I didn't comment before because I didn't have any suggestions for your problem, Nef, but I'm glad you've got it sorted. I know how frustrating things like this can be.
    Ditto!

• The chat facility on Microsoft seems effective. I used it recently and my prob appears to be resolved.

Glad u got yrs sorted.
  • Yes and they rang me later to check all was still ok. I saw the call was from America.