Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

clouds.

edited September 2018 in Writing
Are you up with the play. These wretched computer geeks play with words and generally confuse the public.
All this talk of "The Cloud" I think has people thinking of storage cabinets in the sky. It is just the name of another storage computer that will store information for you. Probably in a basement in a back alley in California somewhere. Nothing to do with those white fluffy things. Have you got the right image in your head ??
It's a funny thing but people I know only check their e-mails once or twice a week, yet they used to go out to their letter-box every day. It's a funny old world.

Comments

• I know what you mean, Pongo - one does imagine The Cloud as up in the ether somewhere, like those text messages that don't arrive for hours.
    But we still check our mailbox - the physical one - daily.
  • I check my mailbox, physical, twice a day as sometimes we get two posts, and my mail every time it dings. I do indeed have a picture of a huge machines (admittedly with old-fashioned wheels on the side like old computers) in a big room like a boiler room in my head when I think of computer clouds because that's where they are.
  • C2C2
    edited October 2018
    That's a very 'steam punk' image, Liz, lovely.
  • Ha! It is, actually!

I'm wondering why your friends don't check their emails, pongo - they can't have much happening in their lives! I'd miss instructions and links for choir, school bookings, enquiries for poets and editors, friends asking about dog walks/cinema visits/party invites, publisher publicity asking me what size posters I want for talk at litfest on Thursday, in the last two days.
  • I am basically online and wired into the ether all day via email, iPad, laptop and phone, so I'm going to be in big trouble come the apocalypse when everything goes down. X_X
  • edited October 2018

I'm wondering why your friends don't check their emails, pongo - they can't have much happening in their lives! .
    That is soooooo rude.

Not everyone needs to communicate via email.

• LizLiz
    edited October 2018
    If you HAVE email, then to not check it is rude. What is someone to think who asks you a question or invites you out and you don't answer? Ans it's not like they are here to be offended. Pongo is clearly checking his, and asked the same question, basically.
  • I was on a recent committee and our secretary didn't attend to her e-mails. I said we cannot possibly have a secretary these days who doesn't e'mail. Appears she has now come into the 21st century. Another member objected and I pointed out that it was the easiest way to communicate with ten people all at once. They seem to have got the picture.
    Here's me at 83 stirring up 50 year olds.
    I'm chairman of another committee and we have discussions, plan meetings, agendas,minutes, correspondence, ideas, all on line. Operate a business 100 miles away that we run So easy, way to go.
    Looking at overseeing a newly set up trust so (finally) have installed Skype.
    Trust members and operation is 100 miles away too. Will be able to chair meeting or at least join in. All so easy. Especially now our petrol is $2.40 a litre!!!!!!
    Ain't it wonderful.
  • My OH was President of the RBL in Tenerife and persuaded London that running a welfare workers'course on Skype from our apartment was a far cheaper option than sending two members to UK.
  • You are a wonder, pongo.
  • I don't get the non-readers of e-mails at all.  Why do they bother having equipment for instant communication and then ignore it.  It's the same as those people (we have some in our family) who say their mobile phones are only for emergencies and keep them switched off.  I think this is so selfish - one way emergency.  If I need them in a hurry they're incommunicado.  I just don't get it.  

By the way - while I'm in rant mode, what do you think of the tissue issue?  Kleenex man-size tissues are to have a name change because someone considers the name to be sexist - they're going to have to call them large tissues.  Now I'm wondering what are they going to do about Tena Lady?
  • Always infuriates me.    Man refers to people or mankind, not men.
    As in Chairman,manhole cover, man-made etc.  It is collective noun meaning all people.           Yes, a woman can be a chairman and create man-made objects.
    Can even use the manhole cover if she wants.      Further example of , so called,  PC gone mad. 
  • Further to the above. I don't know if I can be described as a feminist as believe in equal rights of the sexes.  I can never understand the bigotry of the reason for unequal pay for the same jobs or work. Even in this day and age we still have unequal pay rates for men and women.    Incredible.
    Perhaps I should have been in politics and sorted this world out though think have left my run a bit late.   The Saudi goverment lied about the murder of the guy in their embassy but now admit it.  So, this is government lying. 
    If governments lie it is the end of civilization.    No standards, no morals no integrity.     Hope fully will not live to 100 as don't know how much more of this corrupt world I can take.   Do enjoy my little corner of it so may hang around a while yet. If only to annoy writers on-line.
  • You're so right Pongo - corruption knows no bounds and when it comes from the top we're all doomed.  On that happy note... just saying...