Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

'We only accept pieces...

not published elsewhere...'

Yes, that's standard. But do you think that also means that in the future, the writer is not allowed to self-publish an accepted/published story in their own collection?

Comments

• Depends what precedes the statement. 
  • 'Please note that we only except pieces that have not been published or posted elsewhere and to which the sender owns the copyright.'

And that is their typo!
  • :) It doesn't mention future rights, so I'd assume you retain them. Surely there are more conditions?
  • No, that's it!
  • Oh. Are you sure you want to be associated with them?
  • Rather agree with Bags, here, Nell! 
  • Ah, OK. I shall give it further thought...
  • It should usually say what rights they are buying as well as what they require. A lot of places aren't very specific and it doesn't mean they are bad. Worth dropping them a line if you are unsure.
  • Definitely ask for clarification, then once you see their answer decide if you still want to be involved with them.
  • I was thinking of the 'except'. If they don't know the difference between the two words and can't spell, how good will they be at judging? 
  • I think it's just a silly typo Liz - they use 'accept' throughout elsewhere on the page.
  • Ah, ok.