Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Manuscript Formatting

Does anyone know how to add extra pages to Microsoft word document without them being numbered, as I want to add copyright info and dedication page I have tried but they seem to get numbered, making the first page of the novel number 4?
Also I have set the page size 9" X 6" and added the header and footer also margin, does Amazon alter this to a standard size or does it stay the same when you upload it.

Comments

• Did you download one of their templates? That's the easiest way to do it. There are two options. One has the interior formatted to solve the page numbering issue. The other is just a Word document with the margins set correctly to accommodate the spine. What you eventually upload (as a PDF) is what is printed. 
  • Hi Baggy, I did their cover using Amazon create, but uploaded the Manuscript as a word document for the paperback.
  • I'd recommend you look at their advice pages. You aren't following the usual course of events. 
  • They say it has been approved and live, do they check header/footer and margins or would it be printed incorrect?
  • The book is 6" X 9", I set the header at 0.5 and the footer 0.75 it excepted it as a Doc upload. I did upload the kindle as PDF
  • It will accept Word, but they don't recommend you do that. I've never set the headers and footers. I've never changed anything. I only upload Word documents for Kindle versions. Again, look at their advice. They will print what you upload. They check that content fits the page and the cover accommodates the page count. The layout is your responsibility. 
  • It will accept Word, but they don't recommend you do that. I've never set the headers and footers. I've never changed anything. I only upload Word documents for Kindle versions. Again, look at their advice. They will print what you upload. They check that content fits the page and the cover accommodates the page count. The layout is your responsibility. 

Thank you Baggy, I will print to PDF and re upload.
  • Tried uploading a PDF but it puts in a blank page when there is not one. Now the preview shows errors.
  • You need to resolve the blank pages before converting the Word document to a PDF. Have you used one of their templates?
  • You need to resolve the blank pages before converting the Word document to a PDF. Have you used one of their templates?

I have now up loaded with word Doc and it shows no issues, checked the preview and all is fine. The PDF seem to give a problem with font type, so will keep the template I set for word and use this. I did use a template and it still showed a blank page when there was not one in the original word doc, mystery, I do have an add in in the word Doc wondering if this is causing the problem?
  • Don't know. When you see the proof copy you will be able to check it's all okay.