Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Overworked editors

I've had emails from magazine editors outside of office hours before but today I had one before 6am on a Sunday morning, and it was the most detailed response I've ever received!

Comments

• Maybe a neighbour's firework party kept them awake so they used the time productively.  I do that sometimes. Get up at three, put kettle on, mark some work for an hour or so, then go back and snooze happily. 
  • Wow! Maybe they couldn't sleep or are on a cocaine spree... 

One of my editors does often mail on a Sunday afternoon. Was it good news?
  • Liz said:
    Wow! Maybe they couldn't sleep or are on a cocaine spree... 

One of my editors does often mail on a Sunday afternoon. Was it good news?
    Unfortunately it wasn't good news but was a useful reply. I've tried a new idea (two actually) which hopefully they haven't covered before.
  • dora said:
    Maybe a neighbour's firework party kept them awake so they used the time productively.  I do that sometimes. Get up at three, put kettle on, mark some work for an hour or so, then go back and snooze happily. 
    Wow, that's very productive of you. If I couldn't sleep I'd probably just read.
  • Or, perhaps the editor is away and in a different time zone?
    Good luck with your next pitches, DB.
  • Seems to be the trend these days, DB. Last Sunday I received a "no thanks" one timed just after 7am (and no I wasn't awake to be immediately disappointed) and a "yes please" at 23.23. Perhaps they work during the hours of darkness.
  • Wordy said:
    Seems to be the trend these days, DB. Last Sunday I received a "no thanks" one timed just after 7am (and no I wasn't awake to be immediately disappointed) and a "yes please" at 23.23. Perhaps they work during the hours of darkness.
    Was it a horror mag?! 😀
  • Might be appropriate if it was - but, no.
  • Maybe they're so in tune with writers they work when we do?