Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What's the weather like there?

Comments

• Rain, hail, hail and rain, and now it's snowing.
  • Changeable here, too and not that warm. 
  • edited February 2020
    Snowed in Notts today.  Quite a lot in Ashfield. Very pretty. 
  • We had lots of snow too! Caused haos on the roads. But most of it is melted now. Welcome to Englad, hey?
  • None in Sussex.
  • Very windy with a mix of sun and cloud.
  • edited February 2020
    Getting blowy outside.
  • Quite warm here considering how bitter it has been. Dreary grey sky tho.  
  • Ok so far. Hoping it's not too bad tomorrow when Debs and Millie fly to Northern Ireland.
  • Rain, windy and dark.
  • Windy and damp
  • The rain is here, no wind yet but it's coming!
  • Planes here have been cancelled, Lizy, hope they are luckier. But I'm sure you'd rather they were safe. It's been v gusty all morning. Is it set to get worse, wind wise? I know there's a flood warning as i've just been asked to post it on the village page. 
  • Lots of rain here. Beginning to feel like I'm in the Ray Bradbury story The Long Rain!
  • Lizy said:
    Ok so far. Hoping it's not too bad tomorrow when Debs and Millie fly to Northern Ireland.
    G. My sons have just landed at Birmingham.Weather is always better in the midlands than anywhere else in UK. 
  • edited February 2020
    Sounds horrible, and Debs and Millie are just boarding their flight. Eeek!
    Hope they arrive safely like your sons did, dora.
  • edited February 2020
    Yes, Lizy, I hope they do too. I'm sure with the pilot's experience they will be fine.  

My sons said the plane tried to land first time but had to go round for a second attempt. 

I'm sure your girls will be ok Lizy.  I once had a hairy landing at Bristol. Wind as well as ice. Bit of a bumpy landing but not an emergency type one.  
  • Bristol used to be used during the second world war to teach pilots how to land in difficult conditions, particularly fog. I would never fly in the winter from it or to it. One of the reasons why it's madness to expand it.
  • Liz said:
    Bristol used to be used during the second world war to teach pilots how to land in difficult conditions, particularly fog. I would never fly in the winter from it or to it. One of the reasons why it's madness to expand it.
    Does Bristol Airport have a worse than average record for accidents or cancellations due to fog?
  • Gawd.  Glad I didn't know that at the time, Liz.  
  • They arrived at my elder daughters house an hour ago. Debs says she's never been so scared in her life. I will get the full story tomorrow.
  • Thank goodness they're safe, Lizy. 
  • DeneBebbo said:
    Liz said:
    Bristol used to be used during the second world war to teach pilots how to land in difficult conditions, particularly fog. I would never fly in the winter from it or to it. One of the reasons why it's madness to expand it.
    Does Bristol Airport have a worse than average record for accidents or cancellations due to fog?
    Yes!
  • (Cancellations, don't know about accident)
  • Liz said:
    (Cancellations, don't know about accident)
    I've only flown from Bristol once so didn't know how it compares to other airports for weather issues.
  • It's gone wild here. I have to train to London tomorrow so I hope I get there (and back!) ok! Was just in son's rom, he's lending me his battery-life extender, and his room goes up into the roof on one side and has a mezzanine level with a window roof, and it sounds like he is at sea in there...
  • Still very blowy here in Sussex.
  • Was windy again last night, and although I could hear it again, it wasn't as bad as Saturday night.
  • So grateful I do not live within spitting distance of a river, stream or canal. 

A small brook down the road a bit has caused flood to some householders. 

Must be agony, living with threat of being flooded. 

Been a great day here. Managed to get mucht of the ski wear my sons wore washed and onto a blowy line. 
  • Our village is in between two rivers. Both sides get flooded. We are lucky - we live up the hill. We never have to worry. I share your relief, dora, I could not cope with the worry. Our floodings have virtually ended, house wise, on one side of the village since we took over control of the dams ourselves - we let enough water through. Just shows that the water board were at fault all these years. Just didn't bother to keep a eye. All those lives disrupted through incompetence. A lot is caused by cutting of trees (which stop floodings), and through lack of river maintenance, change of river depths where they aren't so deep because they have sand deposition or mud or just stuff in the river. 
  • Been wet here, on and off.

• snailmale said:
    Been wet here, on and off.

Same here, at times. I must cure my addiction of playing with the shower taps. 

Rain this morn. Lovely bright n breezy day, for now. 
  • Blowy. 
  • Sun, wind, darkness, rain, sun, wind..............
  • edited February 2020
    Dark clouds and intermittent rain. The cycle path over the other side of the bridge is impassable with a couple of feet of water where it joins the flooded park and ride site.
  • For a change it's been dry here today, but quite cold. I'll be glad when we get some kind of spring weather as for the last 5 months or so it's been mostly cloudy and rainy. It's a pity we haven't evolved to hibernate for several months of the year!
  • Oooh. I'd love to hibernate. One of my sisters has retired and can have a lay in any day she chooses. I'm sooooo jealous especially as one day a week I have tobe up at 6. 

Lovely sunny and blustery day here. 
  • Very wet and strong winds forecast for later.
  • I got drenched on Lola's walk which was in the grounds of a stately house Bristol. Still feel a little damp.
  • Rain earlier in the day, but otherwise it's been dry with a short spell of fine drizzle. 
  • Blowy and wet. Mind you, IMO that's better than the calima they have in Tenerife, which is blowy and so full of sand they had to close the airport. And the harbour - of which this is a photo taken by one of my friends!

• dora said:
    Oooh. I'd love to hibernate. One of my sisters has retired and can have a lay in any day she chooses. I'm sooooo jealous especially as one day a week I have tobe up at 6. 

Lovely sunny and blustery day here. 
    I'm retired but wish humans hibernated for 4 months of the year because the weather in the UK is dismal.
  • Beautiful and sunny today here in Warrenpoint but from the forecast I can see it's due to rain midday, so I've about 23 minutes to enjoy the sunshine!
  • Lizy said:
    Blowy and wet. Mind you, IMO that's better than the calima they have in Tenerife, which is blowy and so full of sand they had to close the airport. And the harbour - of which this is a photo taken by one of my friends!

My boss was in Fuertventura over midterm, Lizy and she reckons her flight back to Ireland on Saturday was one of the few that departed. She said they didn't know anything much about the sandstorm until they were heading to the airport. :O 
  • Fabulous peaceful day today. 

Halleju ... HAH.  
  • Cold. And wet.
  • Sleety rain tonight
  • Freeeeeezing me bits off hanging out the washing

Fab sun but cold wind
  • Still cold but the wind dried the sheets.