Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Adding Bold and Italic formatting to thread posts

edited April 2016 in Writing
To add formatting to your text you need to place what's known as html tags around the text to be changed. Using these tags you can highlight anything from a single letter to a whole book - anything placed between these tags will be formatted. From the following instructions, type only the letters/symbols between the quotation marks.

To set Bold
To start formatting bold, type "<" then "b" then ">" at the insertion point. To stop formatting bold, type "<" then "/" then "b" then ">" at the end point.

To set Italic
To start formatting italic, type "<" then "i" then ">" at the insertion point. To stop formatting italic, type "<" then "/" then "i" then ">" at the end point.

Now practise below, kudos to whoever can set bold italic first.
Tagged:

Comments

• Baggy is good at this - we have a thread, somewhere. the trouble is doing it enough to remember how to do it and I mostly can't be bothered - although I have a Word doc on my desktop, with instructions, just in case.
  • edited April 2016
    Talkback is slow loading again, and this time I know it's not my computer.
  • It's not difficult, I just can't be bothered. Some forums have buttons – like on Blogger – which makes it easier.
  • Face. Bothered!

Gawd blimey, you two, I was only trying to be helpful - someone else asked how to do this. "Shoot me down in flames," as they used to say in the 80s.
  • I found it helpful, so thank you, Mike. (*)
  • Yes, thank you.

I must practise.
    I must practise.
    I must practise.
    I must eat chocolate.

Damn. That always happens...

• Face. Bothered!

Gawd blimey, you two, I was only trying to be helpful - someone else asked how to do this. "Shoot me down in flames," as they used to say in the 80s.
    Sorry...

:-*

It's still a faff to do it.
  • I found it helpful. I thought italics was done with em inside the arrow doodies (technical term), but i works too. Didn't know about bold. Can't help thinking of Round the Horn, and Kenneth Williams shrieking, 'Ooh, in'ee bold!'
  • Face. Bothered!

Sorry! It irritates me a lot that the site has the ability to give us the option of using all these things but it's been turned off! It caused problems, but the site's been through several updates since then so it might be ok now.
  • Thank you, Mike
  • edited April 2016
    what's the prize?