Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Looking for an alternative simile to...

edited December 2008 in - Writing Problems
..."as long as your arm". One that isn't so cliched please.
"As long as..............."?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Comments

• as long as it's broad??
    as long as a piece of string??
  • the supermarket queue when you only have five minutes!
    Sorry...
    What is it being used in- short story, novel etc?
  • Also depends on market/genre.

As long as Paris Hilton's Visa bill.
    As long as a stallion's (insert appropriate euphemism)
    As long as Rapunzel's hair
    As long as a phone call with my mother-in-law
    As long as a sumo wrestler's belt
    As long as a supermodel's legs
  • as long as false nails.
  • Actually, I quite like the supermarket queue one, Carol. It's for a magazine article which will (hopefully) amuse as well as inform. Could I say "As long as a Lidl checkout queue on Friday afternoon." (our branch only seems to employ one person at a time) or does that not match others' experience?

Hmm, my phone calls with my ma-in-law don't tend to last long at all, Heather. They end at the first pause for breath with "I'll just get him for you". Good ideas though - you've all set my brain into gear now.

Cheers
  • How about 'as long as a post office queue' instead of a named supermarket? Just a thought.
  • or: a post office queue on pension day
  • The supermarket named might not like aspersions on their efficency.
    I find that when you are in a rush for a bus, or only have fifteen minutes to rush in and get something that you need, that is when you hit queues, or the day when the computer end of the tills are playing up, or you are in the queue that looks short, but you're behind someone who rummages around for their money/credit card etc. We've all been there, haven't we? :)
  • you could use 'a supermarket queue before a bank holiday/on Christmas eve'
  • Would your character use Lidl? My sister, for instance, is such a snob she saves all her M&S carrier bags to use in Tesco!

As long as Mrs Jenkins' face.
    As long as a teenagers' "quick" phone call.
  • What about "As long as the road to Tipperary"?