Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Lost confidence

edited December 2008 in - Writing Problems
I have lost my confidence in writing since I read an article in a past Writing Magazine - October 2008. The article was Part Two: Perspiration mentioned that beginner writers write speech and then use a verb before or afterwards too much, like 'he said', 'she said', 'he replied' etc etc too much, instead of having a bit more life in speech. Is this true?
It has awakened me up to edit/change my dialogue when my first draft of my novel is completed.
Has anyone else had this problem when they first began to write?
Alana

Comments

• Hi Alana, sorry to hear you've lost confidence in writing recently. Don't let it get you down, it's only your first draft. First drafts are meant to be altered.
  • Hi Alana, I think it's a fairly common problem for new writers but not something to worry about at this stage - you can always revise your dialogue when you edit. As Kangaroo says, first drafts are meant to be altered - the main thing is to keep going and get that first draft completed.
    It's common to have crises of confidence when writing - particularly such a long piece - don't worry about it and don't let it put you off too long. Write what YOU WANT TO write in the first instance, enjoy it - the tweaking and improving can come later.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((:))))))))))))))))))))))) - good luck!
  • Hi Alana,

I too suffered a severe loss of confidence in my writing, after reading an article about using adverbs and such, but thankfully, it came AFTER I'd finished my first manuscript...so, although it stunted my initial happiness and caused me to throw aside the manuscript for months, deciding it was definitely no good and I'd have to start something else, I dug it up a few months later and read it through, and found so many improvements I could make I was itching to get started on it again.

So, in a nutshell, just finish the thing first and then adjust and change it later; once you've set it aside for awhile the improvements that need to be made will jump out at you! Good luck, and keep on going! :)
  • One of the problems, when reading articles intended as helpful comment, is that we become too analytic of our work.
    It must be remembered that every author conjures their creation from within themselves. Every statement, although sometimes reflecting a majority opinion, can only be that individual's opinion.

As Kangaroo observes, until you have phrased your own words there will be nothing to criticise, judge or correct. As someone once suggested, go with the flow and don't worry about "right" or "wrong" until you have reproduced thoughts and ideas in visible form.
    Write from your heart and soul, then edit with your head.

Most importantly, enjoy the journey.
  • Ah - James Barrington. Unfortunately he doesn't pop in that much anymore. I'm sure if you tried emailing him, he would be glad to talk to you.

I do have to say though, too many 'he said', 'she said' irritates the hell out of me. However, it's something that comes with experience.
  • It helps me to read my work aloud then I can hear if I over use 'he said she said' etc.
  • As said, write it first, then look in detail.
    Not everyone is good at dialogue instantly, it is a skill you develop. Knowing your characters helps because they will develop their own voices as you write, and you will find you don't need the he said/she replied etc.
    Editing can fix a lot of it.
    Trust yourself. :)
  • Don't give up Alana. Write and write and write and then revise and edit later.
  • Alana, sometimes we overdo things. My duke capped many of his long sequences in his book with
    I do not know: I will not know.
    It looked clever, it looked smart, it felt right to me. The editor said he began to get to the point of waiting for it to come so it spoiled the chapter. We removed them. He said she said is something we all slip into but on a major revision, which comes after you put the work away for some time, a month or more, you can easily remove. You can write without using any indication of who is actually speaking. One of my worst authors, one I have to completely rewrite, can do this, oddly!
    He will say
    "I told you so." Anne turned away, pouting.
    that kind of thing, instead of saying "Anne said."
    You see the difference? it can be done, it just needs thought but first, write the story. Then put it away. Then get it out and re read with a red pen in your hand or a highlighter and take out all the he said she saids and see how you can alter them.
  • Alna - I'm just going through that sort of problem with dialogue as we speak or rather write. This morning I received the first draft of a sample script based on my novel about a vet. My initial reaction was muted. Then I re-read it. still not convinced. Then visualised the characters and where they were. Then ended up reading it aloud. Same applies to your story. Eventually it will ring true.
  • You just keep writing, Alana. I agree with everyone's advice above - especially Jan's:

'Write from your heart and soul, then edit with your head.

Most importantly, enjoy the journey. '

Lots of luck with your writing.
  • My confidence dips so low I often fall over it, so I know where you're coming from!

It's all about learning, even JK is still doing it (like to think so anyway). As the others said, keep going and it'll fall into place.
  • I have been doing a number of on line course and each one has led to me rewrite everything I've ever written because I've learnt something new. It is all part of the process. It's better to learn from it than to simply think your writing is good and never get published. Don't get depressed, capitalise on it and improve your work.
  • Hi Alana
    I do try and visit about once a week!
    I endorse what other TBers have said, and the point I was driving at in my article was that you shouldn't try to find another word for 'said' every time anyone speaks, because you will probably end up with something that sounds really clumsy and contrived. If you're describing a conversation between two people, you don't need to use a verb at all for most of the sentences, because once one person has spoken it will be obvious that the other person is then replying. And you can work other words into the speech to reinforce this. 'What do you really think, John?' for example.
    The other thing I'd suggest is that you read a lot - all writers should be prodigious readers anyway - but try to be analytical as well as enjoying the story. See how other writers handle dialogue and everything else. As several TBers have remarked, we're all learning as we go along.
    Hope this helps.
    James Barrington
  • Hi Alana,
    Having recently undergone a confidence shakeup myself, it's been useful to think about just writing for the sake of writing. I've shelved all those dratted how-to-write books that cluttered my room because I took more time reading them than I did writing....if Shakespeare, Enid Blyton, Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, etc had had to read writing books, they wouldn't have made half the work. So I believe in making a story an expression of the soul and giving it all my faith. Writing as much as possible is what will make writing improve, I believe.
  • Talk of the devil. I just looking at your books in Waterstone's James!

In this month's WF Minnette Walters said "let your characters tell their story" - so don't try to manipulate it. I'm trying to do this, and I think it's working (although a deadline is a great motivator!)
  • Hi Stirling
    It's no use just looking at my books - what I really want you to do is get out there and buy them! Ideally, several dozen copies of each.
    The next ones out should be 'Payback', hardback by Macmillan about July 2009 and 'The Moses Stone' from Transworld as a mass-market paperback in August 2009. The latter's already listed on Amazon, though we've not yet finished editing it.
    With very best wishes
    James
  • You know, this confidence malarkey catches me unawares. Someone asked me today if my book was ready yet, and I had to stop myself from saying, "not yet, but you won't like it anyway." Ugh!

Instead i said, I'd let them know when it was out, but I couldn't, just couldn't, say "and you'll love it"!

I just cannot toot my own horn. :(
  • I have this horrendous reading list for Uni; but when I've wade through I'll go and buy a couple (not my normal type of novel, but I'm quite up for a change!)
  • Hi Louise
    You have to have confidence in your own work - if you're not happy with it, why should anyone else be? The problem is that, like many writers, you probably read something you've written and decide it's complete rubbish and of no merit whatsoever. I do this every time I write a chapter. Every single time. So you go back and tweak it, then leave it alone for a while. And the surprising thing is that when you look at it a second time, you'll probably find it's not that bad after all.
    So when somebody asks you about your book, tell them the publication date, etc, and if you really can't bring yourself to say 'and you'll love it!', at least tell them you've had some good pre-publication reviews, even if these are from your husband/sister/pet dog/man down at the pub. But do try and talk it up a little, because every sale helps!
    With very best wishes
    James
  • I have taken five years, give a month or two, to write my first novel, and now it is finished and at the 'looking for the right agent' stage. When I began I remember feeling thrilled at how gripping some of my scenes were. In later years, when I re-read them for revision purposes, I could see how amateurish they were and how out of place they would have been with the later stages of the book, since I had learnt so much about writing in the meantime. I had also read so many published books for the market I was aiming at. I agree with Stephen King that reading is one of the best tutorials you can attend for improving your writing craft.

My point is, Alana, that you learn as you go, and as long as you read as well as write, as much as you have time for, you are bound to get better. I would say that your rate of progress will be in direct proportion to how much writing and reading you can pack into your days. But practice has always been the route to success, hasn't it. It's not rocket science.
  • I wouldn't worry about it too much. Something like that is easily correctable if an editor doesn't like it. Besides, I was recently reading The BFG to my son, and at least 90% of speech is followed by "he said" or "she said". It got to the point I was changing them on the fly as I read, because it was getting so repetitive to say.

Still, if it's good enough for Dahl ...
  • It's interesting to read about the need to give some hint of praise for your own work. I really do find this difficult with my novel 'Pets in Prospect' and countless times have come out with the phrase 'it's got no literary merit whatsoever' and rush on to say it's just a very light summer read in a rather dismissive tone suggesting the poor person shouldn't be bothering with it. Whenever someone says something comlimentary I go bright red and look surprised. Crazy really. I did write the book purely to be a fun read so why I should feel embarrassed at it's lack of sophistication I'm unable to fathom. I try to remind myself that if people get a chuckle from it then it's achieved it's objective of being entertaining. If it's thought of as being too light and fluffy without any gravitas so be it. But it still doesn't stop the blushes.
  • edited December 2008
    Hi Stirling
    I don't just write novels - 'Joint Force Harrier' (Michael Joseph/Penguin) is non-fiction, and 'The First Apostle' (written as 'James Becker') is in a different genre to the Macmillan series of books.
    James
  • Thanks I'll keep an eye open for them!
  • I would just like to THANK EVERYONE for their support. EVERYONE'S ADVICE was very helpful. It has certainly changed my way of thinking.
    I know I have to accept the problem and I can edit it as much as I like until I think it is right for placing in the post with hope of publishing.
    I am grateful James for your input to me as well as those who replied to you. As an experienced writer you helped me realise that I am not on my own.
    Once again THANK YOU EVERYONE!!
    Alana
  • [quote=M. Welshman]It's interesting to read about the need to give some hint of praise for your own work. I really do find this difficult with my novel 'Pets in Prospect' and countless times have come out with the phrase 'it's got no literary merit whatsoever' and rush on to say it's just a very light summer read in a rather dismissive tone suggesting the poor person shouldn't be bothering with it. Whenever someone says something comlimentary I go bright red and look surprised. Crazy really. I did write the book purely to be a fun read so why I should feel embarrassed at it's lack of sophistication I'm unable to fathom. I try to remind myself that if people get a chuckle from it then it's achieved it's objective of being entertaining. If it's thought of as being too light and fluffy without any gravitas so be it. But it still doesn't stop the blushes. [/quote]

Exactly!!
    Stoopid ain't we?

Keep going Alana. x