Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

To invoice or not to invoice, that is the question

edited December 2008 in - Writing Problems
In a previous discussion I mentioned that I had sold my first story. Now the publishers have emailed me a form to fill in for payment. At the bottom are four choices and as I'm not VAT registered only two are applicable.
I am not VAT registered and will submit invoices
I am not VAT registered and will not submit invoices

Can anyone tell me if I should do an invoice or opt for the easiest option and say no invoice?
Any advice will be appreciated as I am very new to this.
Thanks Susie

Comments

• Sorry can't help here-don't know which is the correct option.

(My personal preference would be to submit an invoice quoting the agreed details and amount. Purely to ensure the payment isn't missed, and to help with my own recordkeeping.)
  • In your position SusieM I would opt for submitting an invoice. This need not be complicated - merely a request for payment of the agreed sum for the named piece.
    It keeps your records straight, comes across as professional and ensures that you get paid the agreed ammount.
    Good luck!
  • Thanks, I'll type one now.
  • Make sure you put all your contact details on, name, address, phone number and e-mail.
    Title, any reference number on the letter that you received saying they were buying the story, and the agreed amount.
    Good luck.
    May there be a lot more.
  • I would submit an invoice. It needs to have your name and address, a unique invoice number, the date and the details of the amount and what it is for.