Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to show a telepathic conversation on the page

edited January 2009 in - Writing Problems
I am writing a short story which involves two characters having a telepathic conversation in a room with people who can hear the thoughts but are talking to one of the characters. Would I put the telepathic conversation in italics as a way of differentiating between the two? I would be grateful for any thought please.
(Happy new year to everyone)

Comments

• this time I would say yes to italics, Gina, it would be the only way to differentiate it. Sounds interesting!
  • Hi Dorothy
    Would I have to put quotation marks around it or not do you think? I'm inclined to say no myself and if it were just for fun it wouldn't matter but it's for a competiton (trying to fulfil one of my new years resolutions and be more proactive etc etc) so I want to give it the best chance by not making a silly mistake with the way it is presented.
  • As I understand it, quotation marks should be used for words that are spoken aloud. So: "This is mad," said Jack. But: This is mad, said Jack to himself. Extending the principle, I'd say just use italics without quotation marks for telepathic speech.
    Rob Crompton
  • Thanks Rob, that's what I thought.
  • LizLiz
    edited January 2009
    I agree. Even just no quotations might do it, because people do notice the lack of, but italics plus no quotation marks I would think make it very clear. Sounds interesting!
  • Yes, agree with the others, this is when itallics helps clarify for the reader.
  • I answered your query earlier, Gina.
    Didn't you get my telepathic message
    ...:-)
  • Check out Eragon; Paolini uses itallics for conversations between Eragon and Sapphira.
  • Nice one Bill.
    My receptors must be on the blink.
    Thanks Sterling. I'll check it out.
  • edited January 2009
    Gina, in the children's books "Animorphs" by K. A. Applegate, a lot of telepathic conversation takes place. Italics are not used and instead of speech marks, the author uses the <> symbols.
    eg:
    <Do you think it might be a good idea to find some shelter?> I asked Butterfly in thought-speak.
    <Uh-huh, yes, I think we should,> she said.
    <Hey, wait a minute. I can't see them any more, can you?>

Don't know if this will help but it might be another option you could think about.
  • Sounds like quite a good idea IG