Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Novel titles (urgent)...opinions please!

edited January 2009 in - Writing Problems
When it comes to titles the germ of inspiration usually creates one in my mind and the story follows.
However, as some of you may know, I'm entering the Debut Dagger this year and the dealine for entries is February 7th (why I've not been on TB as much).
I wouldn't normally discuss my work so openly before it is complete, but I have a problem with the title which I need to resolve by Friday when I'm sending off my entry.
My novel is a simple vigilante idea of a man seeking revenge on 'The Hoodies' who have impacted negatively on his life. The 'running' title has always been...The Hoodie Hunter.
Last week an American asked me why someone would want to hunt sweatshirts!?
:D & :(
The Dagger comp' is British and so is the term 'Hoodie,' but I have still been reconsidering my title options.
Based on the above info' I welcome opinions on which of the following titles you prefer...
...The Hoodie Hunter...
...A Vengeful Pursuit...
...Vengeful Hunting...
...A Man Scorned...

If it helps, the prologue is on my blog:
http://colburysnewcrimefiction.blogspot.com/

So which title do you prefer (if any), how do you generate yours and what makes a great title?

Many thanks in advance,
Col

Comments

• A Vengeful Pursuit is good.
    I have to say I would not have taken The Hoodie Hunter from the shelf if I had seen it.
  • Pursuit of the hood? 'Hood' meaning hoodlum in both America and England... revenge is something which turns me off, the connotations of the word, but to pursue someone who has done wrong feels different...
  • edited January 2009
    I prefer A Vengeful Pursuit of the suggestions.

Though I think 'The Hunting' might work.

Anyway, titles are a very personal thing. Every writer chooses in their own way. My novels usually have a title I'm happy with at the start- if it hasn't then the writing gives me a problem, so I suppose it is part of the whole thing with me.
  • Just 'Vigilante' sounds quite scary...
  • edited January 2009
    I would think of hood meaning neighbourhood in America.

It seems that you're talking about a kind of raw justice here.
    I like A Vengeful Pursuit best from your list, but wonder if you could make it less 'negative' (re LizB's coment) by including some reference to justice in the title, like A Kind of Justice, or something. (Everything I think of sounds like it's been done before though - sorry)

It depends to some extent on how the reader is meant to feel about your MC. Cruel Justice, Twisted Justice?
  • I definitely prefer 'A vengeful pursuit' too.
  • edited January 2009
    There's a theme developing here, me thinks.
    Keep 'em coming guy n gals. This is really helping!

Carol,
    I've just searched the web for 'The Hunting' and amazingly it's not been used before!!!
    Hmmm...
  • I like A Vengeful Pursuit and don't think that the negative connotations are too strong: I've seen far worse on the shelves. But The Hunting is good too.
  • edited January 2009
    I would go for Hood or The Hood. I like Vigilante as well. My novel is of a similar vein; it's called Bound.

I think the others are a bit woolly [dives for cover!]
  • edited January 2009
    I think I'll go for The Stirling Slayings!
    :P

ALL opinions still wanted please...the last post was only a joke!
    ;)
  • Robbing Hood
  • Behave, Betsie!

I wonder if you would like 'Street' to come into your title, Col B, since 'on the streets' is the setting for hoodie activity? Street Justice, for instance, or Justice On the Street?
  • It's probably no use to you, but the phrase "feral children" has been used in the media.
  • I like that for a title Jenny.
  • An Honourable Hunter
    An Honourable Hunt
  • A Vengeful Pursuit stood out for me even before I saw all the other postings.
  • Depends on the style of crime novel. A gritty novel needs a title with a bit of a punch; or is it more of a cosy?
  • edited January 2009
    Stirling,
    Body count 24, so it's not that cosy! (this is in context with the story, too, and not melodramatic - he's got a deadline!).

Dwight,
    Funnily enough I was thinking about using the word 'moral' which isn't far from honourable, so both good shouts. The only problem is...he could be hunting deer, foxes...know what I mean?

Susie,
    I'm leaning towards 'A Vengeful Pursuit,' too, but maybe I should drop the 'A' - what do people think?

Jenny,
    Great minds and all that: the phrase 'Feral Youths' is used within the dialogue!

I knew I could rely on you Talkbackers!

Ps. Betsie :D
  • A Vengeful Pursuit works well, or perhaps 'Stealth'.
    Hope you do well.

For my most recent book I narrowed my choices down to three and typed them out. The titles were pinned to my study wall for several days until I made my ultimate decision (I went with 'Deceptive Encounters'). The next book has a working title which will probably bear no resemblance to the final title.
  • 24 bodies? Crikey!

I think words like moral and honour need to be carefully handled because they are so subjective. I like Simon Kernick's titles (not so much the books!) - pity he already swiped Deadline . . .
  • My first choice was A Vengeful Pursuit too. How about An Honourable Vengeance.
  • What about Reprisal?
  • Of your four suggestions Vengeful Pursuit is the best, but I also like the suggestion of Heather's 'Twisted Justice'. Good luck with it anyway, Col
  • I don't think there's any copyright on titles.

Vengeance is Mine?

War Against the Animals? (This is the title of a gay book, by the way.)

Plug A Thug?

Pest Exterminator?

Mercy Killings?
  • edited January 2009
    For what it's worth, I like "A Vengeful Pursuit" also, Col. It succinctly tells us everything we need to know and is attention-grabbing. One question, would you need the "A" at the start? "Vengeful Pursuit" sounds good on its own, too. Good luck with it.
  • NIce to see you IG.Hope you get your ribbon back soon
  • I like Vengeful Pursuit but then I also like Hoodie Hunting or The Hunting. You could even do Hood Hunting (though it sounds like you are making a pun on Good)
  • Cheers, folks. I really appreciate your swift responses. This has really helped.

Mutley,
    You're the only other person (apart from me) who liked the 'Hoodie Hunting/Hunter' possibility. On reflection I think I was far too close to this title (it's like an old friend). I'm glad I 'bit the bullet' and opened this up to you all because I'm now 99% certain of the title.

Jay,
    You're suggestions remind me of one I've already considered: Society Sterilizer!

Maya,
    An Honourable Vengeance is pretty damn good, but I fear the title rings true only for the killer (it's not very honourable for the victims/families and cops, etc).

Jenny,
    Now Reprisal is a word I like and is very tempting to use.....

Lol & Heather,
    Twisted Justice also sums up the sentiments of the story, but it has been used before and I did want to use something original (even though, like Jay, I'm sure there's no copyright on titles).

IG,
    You're a mind reader! I was just about to ask about dropping the 'A.'

So my decision is.......

(Drum roll please, Maestro)

......VENGEFUL PURSUIT!!!

:D:P;) :D:P;):D:P;) :D:P;):D:P;) :D:P;):D:P;) :D:P;):D:P;) :D:P;):D:P;) :D:P;):D:P;) :D:P;):D:P;) :D
  • edited January 2009
    Hurray- three cheers for Col's title. :)
    Now go get 'em!
  • Sounds good. Good luck with it Col B
  • Go for it,Col B!
    Now onto the next book..
  • go go go go go ...
  • edited January 2009
    I would buy A Vengeful Pursuit rather than any other title you mentioned. My husband remarked that the title would make him pick it up, but he would be influenced by the cover graphics and the synopsis on whether to buy it.
  • I quite like A Vengeful Pursuit, but Vigilante is pretty punchy and eye-catching imo. Good luck, I hope you win!
  • I agree with your husband Verica.

The latest book I'm reading is The Dante Trap. Title hooked me (Dante's Inferno); cover graphics are very Gothic; but the blurb was what sold it.
  • Col B - I'd suggest "Vengeful Pursuit"! :D

GOOD LUCK - hope it's a winning title!
  • Well done on the choice Col and good luck with the book.
  • Ditto the good luck messages, Col! Good choice on the title.
  • Cheers, 'Guys.'
    Just going it through it now...one last check.
    Then I'll catch the Sunday post.
    I really appreciate everyones' comments.
    ;)
  • "Sunday Post"? That's a Scottish newspaper but does it exist down south? ;)
  • Hey, CC!!!

I thought that myself (great minds). Yeah, we do have it down here. We get the moon at night, too; it's amazing!!!
    :D
  • WOW! Full moon tonight - hooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!
  • Scared now.

What've you been up to then?
  • Busy, busy, busy - life et al!

Did Santa bring you an alarm clock?
  • Oh, yes. It's got a big hammer attached in case I snooze more than 3 times!!!
    :D
  • Col B - if you get this month's WF it has an interview with Lesley Horton (Chairwoman of the CWA). It also has a interview with Minnete Walters (which is strange because it was a duplicate from two months ago . . .)
  • I think they must have had a problem with stuff not being available or the wrong files were sent. The Minette Walters was also in last month's issue.
  • sounds more like wrong files being sent. I'm still busy avoiding the magazine.
  • It's worth reading just for Viv's column. Excellent!