Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

missing a bit pt 2

It was inevitable they were going to see me for there was nowhere for me to hide so I stood as straight and defiant as I could. Their singing halted abruptly to be replaced by their overly loud whispers; knowing me to be of high class I was a prime target for thievery. Sure enough, as I turned to run a pair of large, rough hands caught my shoulders and I dropped my case. Chucked aside I lay strewn upon to stones as I watched my possessions running away with louts. Never have I felt so deflated, defeated and resigned and naturally moved to the last resort a child has, crying.
The tavern door spilled light onto the street and a silhouette appeared of a young man which was somehow familiar to me, as if I had dreamt of him. Seeing me lying with tears trickling down my delicate cheeks he ran over and crouched by my side. He could have been no older than sixteen with jade eyes that shone and skin fairer than any I had seen. Unkempt, flaxen hair flowed down to his shoulders and brushed his working class clothes. Despite his ragamuffin appearance there was something more regal about his demeanour.
‘Ma’am, are you alright?’ I nodded slowly, ‘Don’t worry; I’m here to help you. My name is Samuel.’
‘Lady Carmella Burk,’ I replied ignoring the pain in my knee as I stood. ‘Some men stole my case with my food, clothes and money, I’m lost and now I can’t run away.’ As I began to cry once again Samuel pulled me towards him. With my head against his chest I felt safer and comforted.
‘Well, my Lady, you are in quite a predicament. I can take you home though, household of Lord Burk I presume. You must be Lady Elizabeth’s little sister, you are growing up to be a beautiful young woman.’ I blushed under his flattery as we began to walk in the direction I had come from, trusting my guide completely with my safety.
The walk home was in silence, my mind overflowing with questions yet it didn’t seem appropriate to ask any of them. How did he know my sister? Why was an uneducated man so well spoken? How did I know this wasn’t a trap? As my anxiety started to rise Samuel stopped walking and I bumped into him. Awakened from my daze I noticed we were standing before my home. Even without alerting the servants to our presence the door swung open and father scooped me up into his arms and hugged me.
‘My goodness, Carmella, where on earth have you been? We were so worried about you. Don’t you ever run off like that again!’ he sighed as he put me down and my heart sank. ‘Hello there Samuel, what are you wearing?
‘I was running messages in the Rookeries, best not to look like a gentleman there. That’s where I found this young lady; she’s had her possessions stolen. It’s been a rough night for her, Sir.’ I appreciated Samuel’s sympathy and hoped it would ease father’s anger somewhat.
‘I thank you for bringing her home safe. As you know I’m good friends with your father who speaks very well of you. Is there anything I can offer you in return other than my thanks?’
‘My Lord, all I wish for is consideration should a job become vacant in your household.’ As Samuel said this he didn’t meet father’s eye, a shy man I presumed.
With a smile father offered Samuel his hospitality, wishing to speak to him alone in his office. I sat in the informal sitting room unusually unnerved as if I were waiting the verdict of the jury on some horrible crime I had committed. Restlessly I began to pace the room, brows furrowed in thought; they had been talking for nearly half an hour, whatever the topic was I was sure it was one I would object to.
Sure enough when they emerged father made an announcement to Elizabeth and myself. Samuel had been hired as my ‘companion’, a polite way of saying guardian. I was furious, I did not perceive myself as a child much less one needing a minder. I glared at Samuel but he refused to look at me. Objections arose and died in my throat, my mouth agape in disbelief. I was to obey him, a boy barely a man who would naturally have no authority over me.
Over the next few months my agitation grew into anger and eventually bloomed into hate. My every action was watched and each misdemeanour reported to my father. He never left my side and had become extremely sombre with his sense of duty. He seemed to tire of me quickly and in the second month he started shouting at me which he’d never done before. We refused to speak to each other as we seethed in silence.
One night I couldn’t stand to be around Samuel’s restrictions any longer and once again attempted to seek my freedom. He’d fallen asleep on a chair outside my bedroom and I had noticed once he entered the world of slumber it was rare he would stir. This made it easy to slip by him in the dead of night. Learning from my previous runaway encounter, I wore the worst clothes I owned and left everything except one gold coin father had given me the week before.

Comments