Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

missing a bit pt 3

I walked for approximately an hour, as best I could tell, before I came across a tavern which rented rooms. My weary body conflicted with my mind yet I knew I had to resign to sleep; I’d continue on my journey tomorrow. I barely looked around as I entered the establishment and paid the landlord in advance for my stay. I stumbled through the dark up the stairs and along the corridor to the far end. The lock clicked as I turned the key within it, revealing my temporary haven. It wasn’t much, just a bed, a table at its head with a candle upon it, and a mirror.
The bed was too firm yet I fell asleep quickly, the light of the candle still aglow.

“CARMELLA!” I heard it over and over again; somewhere far off my name was shouted. I stirred from my slumber unwillingly. I’d wondered if I’d fallen asleep by the fireplace again; it was warm and the crackling of dry wood burning suffused the air. Something wasn’t right, the air was thick with smoke and I found it hard to breathe. My eyes flung open to see flames leaping around me, enclosing me within a fearsome wall.
“CARMELLA!” I heard. Fully awake now I recognised it to be Samuel. I found out later that as soon as he discovered me gone he began to track me. He knew people all around the city, apparently, and used their eyes and ears to find me, only to reach the tavern as fire engulfed it.
“Samuel! I’m trapped!” I choked through the smoke, dropping to the floor and gasping for breath. I will never forget the pain in my lungs as I felt as though I were suffocating. The world around me seemed to be nothing more than a mirage or a dream. For a few moments time seemed to slow to a crawl. ‘This is the end’ I thought.
Through the flames covering the doorway something moved. I squinted at it, willing the world to be still. To speak of courage and bravery would not do the next deed justice as it was so much more than that, a deeper force. A shout arose as Samuel’s body appeared through the mass of fiery orange as if he were flying. With cat-like reflexes he landed near silently by my side. The last thing I remember before being consumed by darkness was being lifted in strong arms with assurance I’d soon be safe. I believed him.

I awoke in my bed at the mansion in a state of confusion. Groggily I sat up and saw Samuel in a chair pulled aside me, tears streaming down his beautiful face as he just looked at me. Instinctively I reached out a hand to stroke his hair and cup his cheek, salt water spilling onto it.
“I’m so sorry Lady Carmella, I have failed you,” he whispered in a strained voice.
“Nonsense, I put myself in danger and you saved my life. For that I must thank you.” I swept the hair around his eyes to better see them.
“You would not have run had I not driven you to do so. I promise to never pain you further. The thought of losing you is too much to bear.”
“But I thought you hated me,” I exclaimed, “better to be rid of someone as troublesome as me.”
(insert romantic ending here)