Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Signs of season change?

edited January 2009 in - Writing Problems
I don't know if I've put this in the right section. It would be good to have a 'Research' category.

My fantasy novel is set in a temperate forest. I'm a bit stuck at the moment though, because I want my character to be able to tell that autumn is coming early this year, but I don't know what signs he might observe. Obviously it might suddenly get colder and the leaves might start turning, but what smells, sounds, feelings, other sights might change when autumn is only weeks away?

Comments

• Birds migrating, more rain, mushrooms/toadstools growing. But all those might be later than you want.
  • The light changes subtlety. Mist early in the morning. Leaves dry a bit and any wind they will fall off- even if they are still green.
    The last fruits on bushes stop ripening and dry up and rot.
  • Is this because the seasons are all earlier or because the summer is shorter? If it's the first case, you might want your character to notice an earlier than usual spring. A good marker for spring is the first week of May when almost all broad-leafed trees are fully in leaf with the exception of ash which will be in leaf by the end of the month. A solitary bare ash can be quite noticeable amongst the greenery. And at the other end of the season, ash will be amongst the first to shed their leaves, in October with birch, for example, shedding maybe a month later. Between spring and autumn there will be subtle changes - the initial lush growth of spring gives way to a dusty dryness that can be noticeable in July. And in August you will spot, here and there, little patches of brown where it can appear as though a tree has been scorched.
    What I'd recommend would be to write your chapters as well as you can for now but flag them for revision later. And then, if you have ready access to woodland, make a point of walking through every week with your notebook and camera. You'll see the signs of spring already in the buds. Watch how it all develops through until this time next year. And then do it all again!
    Enjoy it - for me there's no better place on earth than the forest.
    Rob Crompton
    http://www.snigsfoot.com
  • Not sure what sort of trees you've got where you live, Nena. Oaks are among the last to come into leaf, and also the last to drop their leaves - but you probably want the first to change colour. If there are any flowers around, you may find fewer blooms.

There's a book called: In September The Light Changes. But I don't think it'll help you. :-)
  • Rob, I probably should have explained to those who don't know me that I'm Australian, so I don't know much about British forests or seasons. I do know about Mesolithic Europe though, so that's why I set my novel there.

Thanks, Jay. I had a good giggle over that last bit - which I can't quote because the quote button keeps sending me back a page :(
  • http://www.amazon.com/September-Light-Changes-Stories-Holleran/dp/0452281717/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232368285&sr=1-5

It's just a link to the Amazon.com site for anyone who's interested.