Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Lexia checking back in - with a question !

edited February 2009 in - Writing Problems
Yes - it's me again ! I must be feeling better because I am itching to be back here commenting and not just reading. I know there is a thread with good thoughts for me, for which I will thank you all properly when I have read it.

Right now, I am WRITING (!!!!!) and need a grammar point from you .... yes I should know, but brain still only working at about 40% what it should be.

So -

"...... as it happened there were no new words or descriptive language. "

Was or were ? It doesn't sound right either way.

Muchos gracias (don't anyone reply in Spanish - that's one of only 6 phrases I know ;) )

Comments

• Should it not be

"...... as it happened there are no new words or descriptive language. "

I think were/was makes the sentence passive.
  • WERE, as you are mentioning more than one thing - the words and the language. WAS would only apply to one thing.
  • Thanks Stirling - but "are" makes it present tense. I need past tense.

"there were no new words" and "there was no descriptive language" ..... how to put the two together ?
  • WERE fits the bill, but you may have to alter your OR to NOR, as there were neither of these 2 things present.
  • A semi colon?
  • why couldn't you say, 'in fact there were no new words, or descriptive language'-'as it happened' sounds wrong...
  • I don't like the look of that comma.
  • No, suppose you could do without it. :)
  • How about?

"...... as it happened there were no new words and a lack of descriptive language. "
  • edited February 2009
    Your sentence made me think of Jimmy Saville, Carol !!! ".....as it 'appens...." (and that that noise he used to make ) ;)

I think you are right Viv. It's the "nor" that makes it correct with were. Thankyou !

(I just got ride of the "as it happened " - unecessary !)
  • I would put "...... as it happened there were no new words, and no descriptive language. "
  • Hmm, you've all got me confused now. When I first read your question, Lexia, it sounded right to me, as you had it. (Definitely 'were', by the way.) But it's the or/nor problem now.
    Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought 'nor' followed 'neither'. So your sentence would go:
    A. "There were no new words or descriptive language;" but come to think of it, this sounds as if it needs a 'nor' as well.
    OR:
    B. "There were neither new words nor descriptive language," which changes the meaning subtlely. Sentence A suggests that you were disappointed to find that there were no new words, etc., whereas sentence B suggests that there should have been new words, etc. and there weren't. In other words, one falls short of expectations while the other falls short of the requirement.

What about: "There were no new words and nor was there any descriptive language"?

And to add insult to injury, Lexia, should my question mark have fallen inside or outside the quotation marks?
  • edited February 2009
    were - there were new words/there were no new words
    I think nor should follow neither, but I'm not sure
    question mark relates to the "What about", not the "There were" and should therefore be outside the quotation marks

Yes, I have no full stops
  • Dwight - your sentence B is correct I think, but very formal ! (and your question mark should have been outside the quotation marks )

Jay - my God ! What happened to your full stops ??????????????????????????????
  • Obviously having a blank spot...;)
  • Don't panic, Lexia! I just meant I hadn't put any in. They are working, honest. See?
  • "...... as it happened there were no new words nor any descriptive language. "