Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Sci-Fi/Mythical Writing.

edited March 2009 in - Writing Problems
Just wanted some extra help about how I go about writing non-human character's. I have the basic idea for the characters but how do I put them in a non human world and make them believable to human readers.

Anyone's thought on this matter, greatly appreciated.

Suzi Wuzi

Comments

• Didn't Stuart Palmer cover this in his articles in WM last year?
    Anyone remember?
  • edited March 2009
    Keep one toe in the familiar. Whatever you right has to sound right, it is the same with fantasy writing, always tie it back to something the reader can relate to however small. If your non-human characters are sea-dwelling, look at nature see what marine life there is (trust me you can come up with some wonderful creatures that are based on deep-sea life). If they can fly, follow the principles of flight, the more exotic your creations the more you need to keep that one toe firmly grounded.

Certain things like emotions are probably something that you can carry across which is something else that would relate. Maybe even exagerate them. If you are struggling look to film and tv, shows like babylon5 and star trek - see how they are portrayed, as it can help clear your head better than reading as you are looking at someone else's imagination, is it believable to you? why? when you have your answer apply it to your own stuff.
  • Yep, attention to detail, giving them a human characteristic, like an addiction to Nike trainers, a photo of their kids in their wallet, or something.
  • A few years back I got the chance to write my own SciFi 3-book series about a future cop in New York who has a dedicated Cyborg partner. I decided to give him some oddball characteristics to move him away from the usual robotic vision. So Janek, who is built to look and dress human, can't be seen as anything but human on the outside, had a cantankerous personality. He grumbled. He argued with his partner, and he sulked when things didn't go his way, using his ability to to tune in to radio stations and listen to Jazz, which he loved, cutting his partner stone dead. One of the recurring themes was Janek berating his partner for smoking, lecturing him like a mother would a wayward son. With the way open for me to decide how Janek should be it was great fun creating this awkward Cyborg, giving him the quirks that made him what he was. Later in the series it is discovered that his positronic brain is developing beyond what his creators intended. He was becoming more aware, so he stepped out beyond his design parameters. The manufacturers wanted to reset his functions, but his partner stopped this as he found Janek in all his odd ways, part of the Cyborg's appeal, and of course Janek didn't think it a good idea at all.

Creating a fantasy character allows the writer to experiment with his/her imagination and in truth there are no set limits. You make the decisions. This is your creation so who is there to tell you you're wrong? If you get the chance to develope a character from your own imagination go for it. It's really a chance to enjoy. My only disappointment with mine was the publisher only publishing the novels as a mini-series (3 books). But three is better than none!!
  • It sure is, MikeL. And I agree with you totally, both about sci-fi characters and all-human ones: the sky's the limit as far as your imaginative range is concerned. Look at Dickens, who is renowned for creating vivid and 'way-out-for-his-time' characters. The author can decide to write 'normal' characters into his story, or weirdos, or folks who are larger than life. For the important characters, though, whether they be reality-based or sci-fi abnormal, they will need to be rounded. Therefore they have goals which drive them; they are ABOUT something, and this is what makes them extraordinary. This is the area of individuality where author imagination kicks in and where the reader interest is seized.