Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Crisis of confidence

edited April 2009 in - Writing Problems
Hi I hope that someone could help me. I've returned to writing after a long break due to family illness, pregnancy and juggling the demands of a young family. Anyway the problem is I want to start but I am suffering a lack of confidence. I have written short stories before my break and my husband has said that they are good and should send them off. My problem is that I think he is biased which he insists he's not but in a nut shell I don't believe him. Would anyone be available to read some of my work and tell me your honest opinions. I know that there is room for improvement, but am I flogging a dead horse? Please be brave and tell me what you think.
Thanks

Comments

• Your husband may well be biased, but that doesn't mean that he is wrong!
    We all suffer from this - most of the time probably - and the only way you will find out if your work is what people want is if you get it out there and see what the real world thinks. Even if someone here has time enough to comment, that will just be one opinion.
    What kind of stories do you write? Where would you think of sending them? There are some options that would offer a professional critique as part of the entry fee or for a small extra charge which may be more helpful to start with than a straightforward submission that will probably only get a yes or no response.
  • Hello retrogirl

Maybe a way for you to receive feedback on your would be to post it to a writers site on the net where other writers go to read and review, and post their own work.

Or could you join a writers group? If you are too shy to read out your work, other members may accept hard copy of your work to read and provide feedback that way.

Whenever you ask people to review your work though, it is generally accepted you return the favour.
  • Hi, Retrogirl. If you've a story under 2,000 words, send it to me - I'll whisper my e-mail address to you. I can't promise anything, but I'll do my best.

Good luck!
  • the real test is sending it out, Retrogirl, truly it is. Everything, even sending it to an editor, is down to someone's opinion. The first step is sending it out, the second is getting it back and then sending it out again. You can do it!
  • Thanks for your responses.At the moment it is difficult getting out to a writers group I used to go to as I have to put the kids to bed which is a 2 person job at the moment. What are the websites that read and review work. Also it goes without saying about returning the favour.
  • A lot of writers' sites only give mutual adoration. This can be pleasant, but isn't necessarily helpful. A writers' group is a good suggestion, and Jay is a Very Nice Guy for offering to read & feedback! I have to admit that I usually don't offer to read other people's stories in case I really don't like them - I can't tell a lie, but I'm also not keen to hurt anyone's feelings.
  • There is youwriteon.com and absolutewrite. If you post on either of these tell me and I'll have a read.
  • it's a difficult one, Anyanka. I know I have probably deeply hurt one of my authors, but first he turned in a book he has rewritten 3 times and it's still bad and second he asked me to comment on his pirate book, why did it keep coming back from publishers ... so I told him (full of purple prose and sentences that last half a page) and I've not heard from him since... but I have to be honest, or I would keep getting this rubbish sent in. He had a nerve asking me to look at the pirate book anyway, I am up to my eyes in work for the business without taking on an unpaid critique job - without being asked in advance if I would do it, it was just sent to me!
  • Writing sites retrogirl?

There is MoreWriting.co.uk where you can post and different people review. If you join the group called Redpen on MoreWriting you are given one to one assistance by a very nice lady called Rainbowmaker. There is Chapterseventynine.com where they have various groups you can learn the craft step by step, and have reviews on your work. There is Writersdock/org/forum.

I have found people on all three sites genuine in their replies. They say what they think is good and they also point out what could be improved. If anybody there does seem to just be being nice and not constructive, you soon work out who they are and who's opinion to trust.

Good luck with your writing.
  • Hello Retrogirl- I know from experience how hard it is to build up your confidence after being out of the loop for so long.

Did you have specific markets in mind? Because you do need to study them and ensure you're submitting the right thing to them- most women's magazines have guidelines you can get or have a look at the Womag blog as they post the latest guidelines available.

If you think you've improved it to the point you are happy then send it out.
    A good tip for any story is to read it aloud before you say it's done and ready to go- if it reads well, flows, and you don't stumble over anything, then send it out.

(And good luck)
  • Thanks for the replies I have applied to join morewriting.com and chapterseventynine.com and have taken Jay up on his kind offer. I am going to try and break into the womens magazines market and am going to try the competition in writers Forum Mag to write a story for the Weekly News. Just got to get motivated and put fingers to the keyboard.
  • If you are doing the WF/Weekly News competition then you will find the £3 crit well worth it.
    I paid for one when I entered their Woman's Weekly competition. Sue Moorcroft has had a lot of short stories published in womens magazines so her advice is good.
  • Thanks for the link to c79; I signed up last week and am working hard to rid myself of the "newbie" title! It's a good job I did as well; I've had a week of writing support while waiting for my login to clear for these forums. Still, I'm here now. Coffee, anyone?
  • edited April 2009
    Yes there is a lovely bunch at C79 Dudess.

I wonder how retrogirl is faring.
  • thought I'd bring this up to see how retrogirl is getting along
  • just run a search and she hasn't been here since April. Another gone AWOL, I am afraid.