Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Is it worth continuing?

edited July 2009 in - Writing Problems
I have been mulling an idea over for a while now and I have a couple of characters who are becoming clearer and clearer in my mind every day but I seem to be drawing a blank on an exciting story/plot for them. I'm getting really frustrated with it. I have got enough of an idea and outline to get through probably the first couple of chapters introducing them without it being bland and boring (they are sort of forced onto each other) but I can't get any further. Should I just started to write these or wait until I can come up with something for them to overcome etc. I don't know whether it is simply that I haven't had the time or mental engery to spend on this and I should just give it time or if I am just hanging on to a half baked idea to save me having to think about a new project.
So basically my question is, do I just start and write the first couple of chapters and see where they take me or give up on it and start something new?
Is it a good thing that I can seem to get the characters to stop popping into my thoughts? And when do you give up an idea as not being viable?
I'd be interested to hear what anyone thinks.
Thanks

Comments

• I would write a detailed outline of the characters and store it in the computer, Gina. Then you will have some relief from their constantly popping into your head and you won't lose anything you have come up with so far. If you do that, and take a small break from it, you will find your subconscious will supply the missing plotline.
  • I think you should do a bit of both. Start writing see where it takes you but also indulge your characters need to grow and develop subconsciously. Each of us writes differently, uses our own methods so do what ever feels right for you.
    If it goes no where at this stage you never now when you might return to their story so everything you write is worthwhile.
  • Very few ideas are never viable. Sometimes you just need a few monyths/years years before they have a use.
    You have the characters but no apparent plot...
    So ask them how they know each other/ what have they been doing recently? Leading questions...then let your subconscious start working on it.
    Also ask yourself what type of genre it is is- do you know that yet?
    There has to be something else going on as you introduce them- some important stage of the action. They have to be part of it...
  • My second book has it's character, settings etc. I know it starts with a murder and who is killed, but I don't yet have a plot. I have faith over the next year it the muse will visit . . .
  • It's nice to know I'm not the only one Sterling. I had another completely different idea which I spent a lot of time researching and I've got a great idea but I need some reason for one of the characters to have been murdered and buried. I've looked at all the usual...love, money, accident etc but nothing fits so I put that on the back burner hoping for inspiration and came up with these characters for something the complete opposite (More Terry Pratchett than murder mystery). Yes Dorothy I have done detailed character outlines today which have clarified some mistakes I had made in the first couple of chapters which I can now rewrite more effectively. I may have to distract myself from them(even if it means doing housework. Yuck!) and hope that they sort it out for themselves, so to speak.
    I feel so frustrated that the little time or energy I have had for writing feels so unproductive. Part of me is itching to write but I'm either putting it off because I'm so tired that I know it'll be rubbish or drawing a blank on where to head with it.
    I'll try your idea of leading questions too Carol. Heck I'll try everyones ideas at this stage. Thank all. :)
  • You may just discover what you need with those questions- especially if they don't want to cough up the info on a particular thing...:)
    Good luck.
  • Don't worry that it will be rubbish, Gina. Give yourself permission to write rubbish, if that's what it takes to get to the point where you start writing better. You seem to have a lot in your mind at the moment and storing that maybe stopping you from having the mental room for the next development. Write the first two chapters, see what ideas pop up as you are writing. I doubt it will be nothing, but if it is then do as Carol suggests. Interview your characters as though you were a journalist. Let them answer in their own voice, maybe introduce a new character as catalyst. If you don't start you certainly won't finish. If you do start, as least you are giving yourself a chance.
  • No do not give up on them. If your characters have taken on such as a life as they clearly have then put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard and see where these characters that have birthed in your mind take you and where you take them. They seem to have too much substance not to explore further. Often a good character or characters can lead the way rather than the usual structured planning.
  • Some good advice on this thread. I'm not writing a novel - but it's interesting to hear writers' views on how to cope with problems.
  • Thank you. All this has been useful and given me some ideas as to how to proceed. Also helped by the fact that hubby has suggested we try to get away in the next fortnight for a couple of nights...I rather naughtly suggested he could take his metal detector and spend a few hours on the beach and then I can write in peace while he's out.
  • edited July 2009
    Try asking yourself what each of these characters really wants. The list of 'wants' for each can incude both shallow and deep ones but there must be at least one of each. Now ask yourself - do the things they want conflict with the wants of the other character? If not, can you change them a bit so they do conflict?

Now ask: What are your characters prepared to do to fuflfil their needs/wants/desires?

Once you have incompatible wants/needs/desires, potential action and some conflict you probably have the beginnings of a plot.

I can't promise it will work but someone suggested something similar to me and I found it really helpful.
  • Tell you the truth, I got the motive for book #1 from watching Wire In The Blood.

I get a few ideas from reading newspapers (online) etc. One idea I'm bouncing around for novel #2 is was inspired by the BBC's Tennis forum (hey, I'm getting value for my license fee!!)
  • So you're off with a metal detector.
    Take your characters along with you. Don't wait for a find - find something for one of them. What if ... What if... supposing x happened now ...
    And good luck, chuck!
  • I agree the simplest way of getting the plot going is to ask a series of 'What if?' questions about my characters. What if A has a secret marriage? What if B has an accident? What if C is HIV positive? etc

I sometimes 'hot seat' my characters by writing a monologue in their voice. It can be very revealing what comes out and can give leads to the plot.
  • Thank you all. I have actually got somewhere today by combining your advice. I have interviewed one of my main characters, which filled in even more background, and written part of the first chapter. I still don't have a definate plot as such but some ideas are starting to come together. I keep jotting them down and it is starting to clear in my mind. I think I just needed reassurance that I wasn't just wasting my time. I have spent so much time thinking about it rather than writing something it down to clarify it that I'd got stuck so thanks guys, I think I'm on the right track now.
  • Yes, sounds like you are moving in the right direction. :)
  • Day 2 where I am still mulling things over and actually getting things down onto paper. I am dreaming scenes further on in the story and whilst I haven't got it all sussed out plot wise I am a lot nearer. I thought I'd up date this just to prove that it seems to be working in case it helps anyone else with a similar problem.
  • That's good news Gina.