Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Microsoft Word is driving me crazy

I've been writing a story today using Word 2003 and have two questions - hopefully someone may know the answer!

1) When I do a spell check, it comes up with this message 'Text marked "Do not check spelling or grammar" was skipped'

What's that all about? I haven't marked any text.

2) If I use 'word count' under 'tools', the figure given is different to the one at the end of using spell check. I'm considering counting it manually, because which one is right?

Agghhhh. . .

Comments

• I'm not an expert in 2003 word since I use my 2007 at home more, but I'll have a play around in IT second and see.
  • [quote=littlewanda]'Text marked "Do not check spelling or grammar" was skipped'[/quote]
    It's one of those "helpful" tasks that supposedly assist one's presentation. I have received this message when I have copied in material as an "object" from other documents or created headers and footers.

[quote=littlewanda]'word count' under 'tools', the figure given is different to the one at the end of using spell check[/quote]
    If the "helpful" assistance has decided there is text to leave unaltered it will not include this in the word count. Trust the figure that is displayed when you opt for the document to be word counted. There have been past threads advising inconsistency of the word count being accurate but I can't think of their titles just now.
    Jay might be of assistance if he spots your dilemma.
  • Word 2003 counts titles in that word count. If you want to know the amount without including the titles -highlight the remainder of the text and in tools click on word count- that should give you what you want.
  • Hi, Littlewanda. There have been some threads - you may turn them up if you search topic then comment for count - but I'm not sure they cover your precise predicament. Maybe searching for 2003 might give you something.
  • I think I read someone that if you count the average number of words per line and times that by the lines on the page, you arrive at a rough estimate of words. Of course, you may want a more accurate word count than this.
  • It sounds as though some of the text is being looked at as an object, as mentioned above. Try using Save As to create a copy of the document called "mydoc_BKUP.doc", then press Ctrl+A to highlight all the text, then press Shift+F1 (the function key at the top that is) to reveal all the formating in this document. That may help you find the problem.
  • Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. After printing my story and counting it myself, Jan's advice to trust word wount rather than spell check is accurate - the spell check word count was incorrect, whereas word count (which does include the title, but not headers/footers) was spot on.

Randomguy - I did as you suggested and it does highlight any formating within the document, but I couldn't find anything regarding skipped text. Still baffled!
  • Okay, assuming you are working with a copy of your document, not the actual thing, try this;

1) Use Ctrl+A to highlight all the text in the document

2) Press Ctrl+Spacebar to Strip away ALL formating from the document.

This will remove all bold, italic, underlining and other formating options, although bullets will remain in place... At least should remain in place...
  • Just tried this again and it will also strip fonts back to your default font - Times New Roman in my case.
  • And don't worry too much unless there's a large discrepancy, or you're writing for something with a strict word-count (like a flash fiction publication). I've never heard of an editor rejecting a novel because the word count was carried out in the wrong way.
  • Have you considered Open Office http://www.openoffice.org/ ? It's FREE and can save documents in .doc format if you need to exchange them with someone who only has Word. I've been using it on Windows and Linux for years and would not consider paying for a Microsoft product again. The concept of free software is described by Stephen Fry here - http://www.fsf.org/ - click on "Freedom Fry". Makes a very convincing case and the software is very reliable - word processor, spreadsheet, database, presentation tool and drawing software. I use the spreadsheet for accounts and save the output as .xls when I need to give it to the accountant. If you save files in the native open office format whilst you're working they take about 10% of the disk space occupied by the Microsoft equivalent !

You can also get free upgrades so if someone you work with - say your publisher - wants files in the latest Microsoft format then you don't need to lash out to buy the latest version to retain compatibility. Save your pennies for your WM sub !
  • Robert Hale do have issues with how their word count is done, HPRW- one of the Talkbackers had to cut their work to fit it.