Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Moving on from the first draft

edited July 2009 in - Writing Problems
Ok so I've done a first draft of a short story. The final piece should be around 2000 words but this is 1596 words at first draft level. Is this a bad sign????

I am going to revisit it tonight. The theme is innocence and it centres around three different people who have 'lost' some sort of innocence in various ways.

Have other people had this sort of scenario and how did you resolve the word count without padding it out???

Any help appreciated. I think I possibly have something good here and I don't want it to die of death

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Some people overwrite; some people underwrite; and some do both.

I've written a story called 'The Loss of Innocence'. It's about 4,000 words. I've also had a bash at turning it into a play - with two endings (the second merely has an extra scene).

You're looking at about 150 more words per character, which doesn't sound too bad. Best of luck.
  • Emma, you're only approx 400 words off aren't you? I'm sure if you go through it again, you'll probably see areas of the story you want to change which, when rewritten, will affect the word count.
  • Wolfie, does it HAVE to be 2000 words or is this a parameter you've set for yourself? If you've said everything that needs saying in your 1500 or so words,and you are happy with what you've done, maybe there is no need to 'pad' it (padding so often shows!)
  • That's what I'm worried about ceka but yes it does have to be 2000 words. Yes 400 words isn't that bad and there probably are areas I would like to explore a little more. I'll see how I get on
  • Have you included all the senses, Emma?
  • Thanks for the reminder Jay. I will be double checking that.
  • Setting?
  • As said some people overwrite/underwrite.
    By the time you have looked at those areas you think you need to work on, and revised again it will probably get to the total you want.
  • Well I have looked over it tonight and there are certain aspects of the story that need developed and I think I need a better conclusion so at least I know what I'm working towards :-)
  • Usually, if I put my first draft to one side and return to it a day or two later I see things that still need to be said and others that need to be cut. Being 400 words off is not bad, in my opinion.
  • Bet you any money you end up having to CUT this, Wolfie!
    Tinker, Tamper little Writer
    change a word and change the flow
    make your 'show' a little brighter
    That'll make your story go
  • My short stories come up short the first draft. Not a bad sign at all. And like others here, I put it to one side, and then come back to it. I add, chop, change and sometimes abandon :(

I've loads of half written short stories. Three uncompleted novels. Four really, utterly, crap novels (they are SO funny to reread - at the time I thought them wonderful! And my spelling - oh no!)
  • I've just finished the first draft of a short, it came in at 1000 words but I know it needs more and will mostle likely need another 200 to 300 before I'm happy with it. This doesn't always happen I usually end up cutting loads out.

good luck Emma whichever way you go.