Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My muse has a phobia of pens!

The last few weeks my motivation for writing has been growing and growing, after a period of block I've really got my inspiration back, right up until today where it feels so strong inside me, as if my muse is a physical being trying to get out. But every time I grab a pen it just burrows deeper into me, hiding until it's safe.

I've been trying to write for weeks, and it's getting to the point where writing is all I'm thinking about, I really thought I would be able to write today, and I did manage two pages, but at a huge struggle. I've been blocked before, sometimes for long periods of time, but never with such a strong urge to write. I just don't get it! Can anyone help my muse conquer its fear?

Comments

• Whack it over the head with a very large pen and tell it to suck it up and quit being annoying.

Otherwise...perhaps, use something else? Pencil, chalk, charcoal?....blood...no, not blood, wait...umm, type? A disguised pen? *shrugs* Personally I like the whacking (or threatening to) idea ;)
  • :D
    I use a pencil when i write... i don't know why... i just can't write in pen...
  • Try writing straight to your computer instead.
    I find working that way the best- for me.
  • Grab that pen and write and keep on writing. Tell your muse you'll let go of it only when the story is written, so the faster you work the sooner it's over. (Don't let on that you'll then be starting on the next one)
  • I just need to show some tough love! I can't use a computer because that's connected to the internet and brings a whole new bunch of problems. I'll just grab my pen (or pencil) and refuse to let go until my muse has satisfied me!
  • my computer's connected to the internet but truthfully, if I wrote by hand nothing, but nothing, would get done. Sometimes I write half a paragraph, stop, find out who is on TB, go back write another paragraph and it works, the story moves on.
  • Does that not disrupt your flow though?
  • I just close down my internet- so it is not open, but if I need to check something I can easily open it up to search. So I just go to My Documents or a new Word document and work from there.
  • I've tried that before, but haven't shown great willpower. It annoys me, I have all right will power with everything but writing!
  • No, it doesn't, actually, it leaves the subconscious free to work on if there is a block.
  • That's what I do with homework. I do a bit, check TB, do a bit more.

It's coursework msn and the internet comes off. I get too sidetracked and its more writing to do.

With my writing though, I have the internet open, I use msn. I find I casually write, I don't do serious writing because I simply don't know how to. I'm now starting to do more blog entries because it just involves me, and my opinion on anything and everything.
  • edited August 2009
    No I have to ignore the Internet completely or I don't get anything done, which is why I am generally not on here in the evenings when I am instead sat in my office typing away. But different things work for different people. Have you thought about speaking into a dictaphone and then typing it up later? At least then you get your flow/idea down and typing it up is just the mechanics.
  • tomorow I'm spending 3hours in the back of a car with a laptop, no internet. going to vist a relative. I nomaly write for a bit, check Tb, go utubeing for some songs, and then write a bit more.
  • I don't bother with the internet in the car when I'm away. It saves all the hassle of connecting to networks. I watch a DVD until my battery goes. Which is pointless, since you never finish the DVD....