Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What stops you from writing?

edited August 2009 in - Writing Problems
Today- my printer went kerput and caused me to have a serious tantrum after spending over 30 mins trying to print my PF ms so I could send it off when I could have spent the time doing writing!! Stupid printer with more jamming than Bob Marley!

Comments

• For me mainly tiredness and sulky characters!
  • Noise stops me from writing. And interruptions.
  • How frustrating. Hope you can make up the time, Emma.

Not sure what stops me from writing - family distractions, the sight of my last royalty statement, low moods...a lot of things really!
  • Usually what stops me from writing is I want to write at work...so I can't write...so I end up scribbling down notes all over the place...
  • Family- appointments, squabbles etc etc. And the biggy, school holidays...
  • er, Talkback? Computer games. Procrastination, Work
  • Nearly over Carol!

Got very excited by the appearance of my new timetable today! Medieval and Renaissance literature at 10am on Monday? This should be interesting . . .
  • What a great way to start the week.
    (School uniform buying tomorrow...:()
  • What stops me, being a taxi service for my family:)
  • Family life, no fags, tiredness, procrastination. Definately school holidays, hospital appointments.
  • People popping over on a writing day *mutters*; kids bouncing balls across the road outside ... illness (mainly migraines) and unco-operative/moody muses (characters)
  • For dragging feet
    I can't be beat
    You can go and ask the nation
    They'll all say 'Yes
    That C-o-S
    Is the king of procrastination.'

;-)

Far too many things. Forums (I haunt other boards besides this one, mainly football),You Tube (I go in to watch one specific music video - then I spot the 'related links' list and I'm there an hour), sunshine (winter'll be here soon enough so shame to waste it - long walks), and sometimes just saying "Oh,sod it, I'm off to the pub."

Yet when I get down to it I can be very productive.
  • collide-o-scope: YouTube was a bit of distraction for me last week. I thought I could put some good music on and write away feeling inspired. Did not work and instead totally distracted me.

I've ended up with a stress headache following the printer episode which will teach me for getting so worked up. Just going to have to get a make-do printer to keep me going.
  • I know what you mean, Emma - I was writing something where at a karaoke someone was murdering Maria by Blondie. I hadn't heard the song for ages and I remembered that they had played Glastonbury at the time that song was out so I looked on YT for it. Got sucked into the related links and went through all the old Top of the Pops appearances and even some rare footage of a 16-year-old Debbie Harry very early in her career.

It's a killer lol.
  • What stops me? Work...lack of confidence...lack of inspiration...lack of ability perhaps? I Must try harder.
  • The day job (but I need the dough).
    Family (but I love them and want to be with them).
    People seeming determined to ask you questions or tell you what THEY are doing, which you are supposed to be fascinated by, when they've not bothered to speak to you for the three hours before you picked up your pen/moleskine/laptop. (But... nothing).
  • Me... that life long battle against my own ability to waste time. I think TS Eliot must have felt the same sometimes ....

Between the idea
    And the reality
    Between the emotion
    And the act
    Falls the Shadow
  • Lily, that I empathise with big time! I come home from work 'how's your day been?' 'all right' but the moment I hit the keyboard, it's non stop chatter of what she has done all day ... how do they do that????
    My problem is what stops me working these days, I am so easily distracted when there are books to edit, catalogues to produce, accounts to do and here I am on TB ... writing comes easy as it is channelled. Work doesn't and right now it is work I am paid for, not writing ... not yet anyway.
  • When I spend the morning with a headache, spend over two hours in the meeting, get annoyed with work and then feel all crappy.

Phew well at least I got that off my chest!
  • ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((EMMA))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
  • Hope you feel better for getting it opff your chest Emma, and menawhile here's another big hug

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Emma}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
  • ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) for Emma, Dorothy and anyone else who needs a hug today.
  • Thank you for the hugs, I'm ok today. Just had a bit of a stress yesterday. Hope everyone else is good too :-)
  • yes thanks Emma.

Sorry to hear you haven't been well.

What has stopped me recently is having to take the children out for days out. Tsk, summer holidays, whoever invented them obviously wasn't a writer! :)
  • What stops me is my mother who after watching a programme, instead of waiting until I have finished, tells me about it and I do not know how to tactfully tell her without her having a mild tantrum and being snotty about it, making nasty comments.
  • Too much Talkback keeps me from writing!!
  • Blimey - some of you on here are very well organised. I'd take my hat off to ya if I could find it ;-)
  • I saw your hat on the bat in Rehad. So why am I not writing?