Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Dan Brown tops Oxfam's chart of most-donated books

edited August 2009 in - Reading
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/aug/21/dan-brown-oxfam-most-donated-books

Comments

• Don't get me started on the number of those books we can't sell!!!

The problem is that the books are sold in the millions and at such a low price (yes Tesco and Asda, I mean you!) that people read once and discard. Labyrinth by Kate Mosse is another one that makes your heart sink when you look into the bag.
  • anyone surprised?
  • I highly value certain books in my collection (I have the Eragon series in hardback on display in my sitting-room; not everyone's liking but I love them.)

Am I the only one who thinks the supermarkets are devaluing books and turning them into a disposable commodity? I remember a few years ago going into second hand bookshops and never dream of finding a book that was still in the best-seller charts?
  • Dorothy, nope, not surprised.

And...I miss proper bookshops. Used to love the one here - walked in, smelt of books. You could ask if they had a book and if they didn't they ordered them. That's how I got my 'Run With the Wind' Series by Tom McCaughren years ago - had to have three of the series got from Ireland. :( I miss that shop, I wanted to work in that shop.
  • The maths surely explain the recycling? Dan's a popular writer, he sells by the million. Surely it's inevitable that the good folk who buy his books pass them on to charity shops?

Did anyone else read the brilliant article about Dan in last Saturday's Times supp? Not sure if was on-line too.
  • Off topic slightly: I was in Waterstones buying the new Phillipa Gregory this morning and heard a couple saying 'how can bookshops compete with that?' I assume they were discussing customer discounts.

I wish I had said: 'What about the damn authors? You bought a book didn't you?'
  • I can't actually remember what happened to my copy . . .
  • edited August 2009
    Off topic slightly too:

How has recycling affected book sales?

Regular rummagers know where the quality reads can be found. Why support ANY bookshop if you can buy something different for a £ or less?
  • Unsure. Although the recession has seen our booksale figures drop.

I found a hardback of The Northern Lights trilogy at a Shelter charity shop last week for £1.50.
  • Another confession: I paid £9.50 for The White Queen (half price.)
  • BB, yes it was in the Books bit in the Arts section of the online version.
  • But donating them means you don't think they're worth keeping. Or you've got a small house.
  • I donate books I've enjoyed. I don't feel the need to keep them all. But there are some I would never part with.
  • I live in a flat and drowning in books!

Seriously a lot of them are 'just in case I need them for University.' Don't know what I'll do when I graduate; maybe see if the English department or University library would like them.
  • I'm glad that you can buy books in supermarkets. They're usually much cheaper than in normal bookshops. I don't see it as a bad thing, and I'm sure the authors are pleased to see their books in big stores.
  • My publisher told me, yes, we are into Tescos and yes, covers are vital for them. The profit margin is small but the overall effect, increased sales, combats that.
  • We had seventeen copies of The Da Vinci Code in our charity bookshop stockroom this week.
  • I find the range in supermarkets limited. Wonder how much publishers pay for that space?
  • But consider the size of the bulk purchase...
  • but the supermarkets sell the 'trashy' titles in the main, and often only paperback copies - well after book launches. It's only the really overhyped ones ( like JK ROWLING and Dan Brown that get straight into the supermarket straight away on publishing)
  • edited August 2009
    Some of the paperbacks I've seen being sold in Asda were hardly trashy titles, they were by well known respected authors.
  • The library is very useful
  • I agree with Lolli.

Not necessarily trashy; more 'beach reads' that tend to make me break out in hives! I'll be gobsmacked if I ever see David Peace on the shelves of Tesco.
  • I must admit my local Asda has just gone through a major overhaul of its books and the stock is of varied genres along
    with many old well established titles.

As for second hand books, I have loads and once a year I give them to the local hospice charity shop in the hope that they will raise money for a good cause and one that is close to my heart. Its my way of gving back when I received such wonderful support when my husbands health was failing.
  • edited August 2009
    .[quote=Lolli]but the supermarkets sell the 'trashy' titles in the main[/quote]

Carol, I didn't say they were exclusively selling 'trashy' titles, but a large percentage of the titles sold by supermarkets are lightweight and not really destined for greatness. I suppose you could call them 'Enid Blyton's', in comparison the the children's classics. They get people reading and buying books, which is good, and hopefully as folk read more they will become more discering and move on to more heavyweight books - usually only available form WH Smith or proper book stores
  • Ah see what you mean- sorry.
    I suppose most of the others can be classed as mid-list authors...
  • Our Asda has a great range of books for all tastes, I love to peruse it. The only trashy ones I've seen stocked on their shelves is the drivel written by Mr Brown.
  • I think it depends on the store (they must have the say so.) I couldn't get Andy Murray's autobiography from Waterstones (in his own home town???) but found it in the Asda in Alloa instead.
  • I've picked up some good titles in Tescos as well as some really bad stuff. But at least I didn't have to pay a fortune for anything. I wouldn't call John Grisham a trashy author. I think you can find trashy books anywhere, I've found a lot in Waterstones, etc...
  • Second-hand books are a godsend for me because I only pass through the UK once a year, so OH and I 'stock up'. If we had to pay full price for all our books it would break the budget!

p.s. I don't buy on Amazon because of the high import duty charged by Fiji customs (and the fact that the Fijian postal system has reinvented the meaning of 'snail mail').
  • Amazon is brilliant for Uni. Found some great books you won't find on the shelves.

At least in Waterstones there are thousands of titles to choose from; unlike the restricted selection of Tesco et al.
  • You'd like the money that Dan Brown must have made from his books!!
  • edited August 2009
    Nah Stan, they paid him in monopoly pound notes,dontchaknow! (He hasn't noticed yet)
  • Oh, I shall tell Dan when I see him next.
  • Could you take a copy of Eats, Shoots and Leaves to hit him over the head with too please?

Of course I would love his bank balance (wouldn't have to beg every year for tuition fees etc) I think if one of my books were constantly criticised the way his are, I would never write again.
  • Criticism helps to sell his books. Other readers want to know what all the fuss is about. Better to have critics than no readers.
  • I was thinking more about the ordinary readers on Amazon. I can deflect the artsy critics in The Times; but if readers are attacking the plot; characters; and writing - that would hurt.
  • [quote=Stirling]I think if one of my books were constantly criticised the way his are, I would never write again. [/quote]

I would imagine he receives thousands of emails and letters from fans, praising him. I suspect his accountant and off-shore tax advisors are able to offer some consolation too.

The article I referred to...

[quote=Baggy Books]Did anyone else read the brilliant article about Dan in last Saturday's Times supp?[/quote]

...was written by a critic and a fan.
  • I didn't read that.
  • Sometimes I think that the bad reviews you see on Amazon are written by people who are jealous. I read a brilliant thriller a while back and two or three amazon reviewers had given it two stars. But the comments they made about the book showed that they actually hadn't read it. I think that's awful.
  • I wonder why the author hasn't had them removed.
  • I don't think I would remove them, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I love Christopher Paolini's books, but a lot of friends hate him with a passion. It has nothing to do with jealousy, just subjective opinion.
  • But if they haven't read the book?

I was reading reviews on a DVD last night and one even began with, "I have been waiting to see this DVD for months and I can't wait to watch it..." The reviewer then continued with WHY they'd bought it, which isn't the same as reviewing it.
  • Well that's not on, but doesn't surprise me.
  • My husband and I sell on Amazon as we needed to have some kind of income coming in. I wouldn't buy a copy of the Da Vinci code to sell on because of the huge number already for sale on there but having said that we had 3 of his books listed which all sold. This surprised me especially as we have some interesting books from topigraphical to old police proceedures which do not seem to be selling even though there are not many for sale. It is a balancing act between buying a bestseller which people want to read and the market being flooded.
    I know many people are against second hand books but I have found a great number of authors through reading a secondhand book which I would never have bought at full price until I knew whether I liked their sytle or not. I now have 1500 books which I can read whilst trying to make a living from selling them. Unfortunately I sometimes have to rush through the book to finish reading it so I can post it out!
  • Stirling, I was talking about people who obviously hadn't read the books, and had given them two stars and a really bad review. That's not on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it must be an honest one. What makes someone write a bad review of a book when they haven't even read it? I can only assume that they must be jealous of the author.
  • I work in a supermarket and part of my job is filling the books. It's quite fascinating to see what new titles come in when the book chart changes every two weeks; what comes in a larger quantity (hence expecting more sales); how much cover design influences a sale; and how new authors fair with their second release. For example when Penny Smiths first novel came out it sold very well, but her second hardly moved. Christopher Ransom's first novel, The Birthing House, had quite a striking cover and you could see people drawn to it on the shelf - it sold out each time a delivery came in. Also, I swear there are particular days in the week where one genre will sell more than another i.e. crime/thriller sells more at the beginning of the week, whereas chic-lit/romance sells more at the weekend.
  • That is interesting Littlewanda.
  • what an observation, LW! With that and people watching as they shop, a wealth of material there for writing!
  • Yes, that's interesting Littlewanda.