Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

(Article) Five Ways to Build the Writing Habit

edited August 2009 in - Writing Problems
http://writetodone.com/2009/08/25/five-ways-to-build-the-writing-habit/

Comments

• Thanks for this Emma. I do all these but I am reluctant to say I am a writer when people ask what I do, as I am not published yet.
  • You've been published in magazines and won prizes!
  • I'm unpublished and have won no prizes or ANYTHING but I privately call myself a writer. It means I have to keep writing to justify the label :-)
  • Kateyanne, it's down to positive thinking. Tell people you are a writer and have more confidence in yourself, for what you give out you get back. By saying 'I am a writer' you will be one, in your own mind, that is. We consider you a published writer, so why don't you? Don't put yourself down.
  • [quote=kateyanne]I am reluctant to say I am a writer when people ask what I do, as I am not published yet. [/quote]
    [quote=Jay Mandal]You've been published in magazines and won prizes! [/quote]
    [quote=dorothyd]We consider you a published writer, so why don't you? [/quote]

I was astonished when I read your post, Kateyanne. In my eyes you are most certainly a published writer!

p.s. thanks for the link, Emma - I'll go take a look
  • Well this is down to what I have heard from people when I have said that I'm a writer, in particular my family who seem to want some proof of monetary gain from my writing and I have never had any although yes I have won prizes. They seem to see my writing as a hobby, I know this has been discussed before on here.
  • so ignore them. I am still fighting my daughter over this ... but today I heard that Smiths Travel are going to take my book(s) on their list, when they get the covers as they see them to fit on the shelves and recommended my publishers approach Smith Retail as well ... so she will have to accept her mother is a writer, won't she????

You ARE a writer, you win prizes, something I have never done! Be proud of your 'hobby' which gives you so much!
  • [quote=kateyanne]proof of monetary gain[/quote]

If montetry gain was the qualifying factor, we'd have to re-write our lists of great writers, poets and artists.

Of course, I'm not suggesting any of us should die in poverty to prove our craft!
  • [quote=Emma B]I'm unpublished and have won no prizes or ANYTHING but I privately call myself a writer. It means I have to keep writing to justify the label [/quote]

same here
  • Kateyanne, you most certainly are a writer and published to boot! The web is open to all who read, so anythiogn oyu have on the web is published. As for proof that you're a writer, that whacking great trophy you won at aSwanwick should convince the doubters, plus the free week last year and this year worth about £800 all together is monetary proof!

Now, repeat after me

I am a writer, I am a writer, I am a writer.

Scrawl it across your mirror in lipstick and BELIEVE it!
  • Dear KateyAnne - WHY are you standing there with that muckle great shield in your hand , over there on your Profile? Are you intending to defend yourself with it? WHAT is that shield for? HOW do you come to be holding it at all?
    WHERE were you when the photo was taken? WHO presented you with it?
    No, KA hasn't taken up some new kind of fighting technique: she's holding a shield that she WON for WRITING!!! (And it's not the first time or the first 'genre' either, the last one was for poetry.)
    There!
    Nuff Said!