Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The latest rejection- People's Friend

edited August 2009 in - Writing Problems
blah blah blah.... the characters are not readily identifiable :-(

That was the rejection that arrived through the door from PF on Wednesday. Made all the more galling by the envelope being crumpled and wet from our crappy postie.

I know PF are a difficult market but I am gutted as I was quite proud of the story and I did think it had a good chance. Has anyone got any thoughts as to what I can do to make future entries to PF more acceptable???

Comments

• Sorry to hear about that Emma.

If it's any consolation (though I doubt it!) I have only ever had one acceptance from PF out of many submissions, but I have had quite a few stories pubished in Take a Break, Woman's Weekly, The Weekly News and several other mags. I've decided that I'm just not a PF writer.
    I think you really have to love their stories to be able to write them yourself and, if I'm honest, I often find them a bit 'thin' for my taste, though I admire those people who can write just what is required for any such publication.

So have you thought of submitting these stories elsewhere? It may be that they're just not PFy enough, not that they aren't good enough per se.

Otherwise, all I can suggest is that you read as many of them as possible to get yourself in the PF-world mindset and also have a look at Teresa Ashby's blog from 20 May (recognising your reader) which talks about what a PF reader may be like and is a very useful insight.

Good luck!
  • That's disappointing, Emma - I'm so sorry. (Why are rejections so much worse when they arrive in a crumpled soggy envelope? I know the feeling exactly...)

I would guess that the fact they made comments on your story means you are getting close. I know that's not much comfort - but it suggests you should try them again. (The only story I ever submitted to PF came back with barely a word, by return of post.)

Others who know PF will have good suggestions, I'm sure. Meanwhile, comfort yourself (I use chocolate but I wouldn't want to encourage anyone else into bad ways :)), then pick yourself, write an even better story and try again.
  • Aww, never mind Emma. Still, keep at it and one day you will be successful.

Emma, I think it is good at least, to be told by PF what it is has been the reason for rejecting your story.

I think it would be interesting to hear from other folk who've been rejected by PF, to see what they have been told. By collecting all our notes together, we may be able to begin to see just what it is PF doesn't want, and help us to avoid making similar mistakes in future.

I was told my story was "too predictable".
  • Bad luck Emma - difficult question - I think the only thng you can do is keep working at the stories and keep sending them out. PF is a hard market the crack (well they all are tbh) but there is a story in your head that will find a home with them - just keep sending them out.
  • Niddy, do you have any comments re my post (I think we cross posted)
  • sorry Dora - the only reject I've had from PF said the story was too single paced which I'm not sure what they meant.

I do agree with the other thats if your are receiving feedback it's a positive note and should keep trying, my second acceptance from PF was a reject from MW - different stories for different readers I guess
  • I think someone else had this 'readily identifiable' note from PF - so sorry, I can't remember who! Suggest you search for it and see what others said about building up the characters, Emma. It is a sad thing when something comes back.
    Niddy, I think the 'single pace' means it went along at the same steady rate, no changes, no climax, does that make sense?
    Predictable, Dora, that is a common one, we think we have a nice ending but if you can see it coming from half way through it doesn't work.
  • thanks Dorothy, yes its does make sense and can now alter the story accordingly
  • So sorry to hear about the rejection Emma.
    Viv may be able to help with some insights...
  • LizLiz
    edited August 2009
    That's irritating Emma.

Try writing a dialogue without putting names or sexes to the characters, and in isolation without the situation or jobs or identifying info and get someone to read it. See if they can tell you anything about the characters, and if they can, what is accurate?

If you try writing like this you will find you are thinking about the fact that the person who will be reading it will not know anything, and you will find you will be much more diligent about voice characterisation and putting in info. You'll have to find ways of doing so without being obvious.

It's a good test and practise.
  • 'Twas me, Dorothy. I've also had a 'too predictable,' Dora.

Sorry to hear about the rejection, Emma. I had the same comment about characters being 'not readily identifiable' for one of my PF rejected stories. I found this explanation of the comment, which I found useful.

http://sallyquilfordblog.co.uk/2007/11/ask-sally-26-writing-well-defined.html

Hope it helps and good luck with your next submission. I'm going to edit my story and submit elsewhere.

LizB - thanks for your ideas about characterisation. I'm going to try this.
  • VivViv
    edited August 2009
    Carol has suggested I may have some insights! I will try my best.I do write for PF regularly and probably get 3 out of every 4 accepted, so I do still get rejections too.The frst mistake many writers make is to assume that because PF readers are often elderly they only want to read about elderly people. Many PF characters are young women, with family stories being very popular. There has to be one main character and we must like her. Her problems may be quite minor but they matter to her, and they are resolved through her own decisions and actions. Friendship, loyalty and family are important to her. Relationships between the generations work well. PF strongly dislike nasty or devious characters, murder or any death during the story (although dealing with the aftermath of losing a loved one, as a widow, is acceptable), anything supernatural, divorce, adultery, sex, and twist endings - never send twist in the tale stories to PF! They are especially looking for stories for adults but about children at the moment. Get inside the child's head and thoughts and see life as they do! Most of all, the story has to leave the readers feeling happy, calm, refreshed, satisfied, relaxed... Cosy is a word I often hear used to describe this kind of story. Aim for the feel-good factor. As for pace, there do not have to be extreme highs and lows, but just alter the pace by adding dialogue, moving between scenes, having some white space here and there to show a shift to the next day, or having some action and then some reflection, etc. It does not rely on car chases for pace! And definitely read as many examples as you can. PF is quite a cheap mag, so buy a few copies, or get one of their Specials like the new Autumn one just out, that has 15 stories in it, including one of mine. You will see the themes and settings vary, but the feelgood factor is always there. Nothing depressing. Always ending on success, happiness or hope. I hope this helps!
  • Bad luck Emma. I've also only ever had rejections from PF and the last one was the same as yours about the characters not being readily identifiable. They were quite right in reflection, I didn't even have a clear idea in my own head of what the two women looked like! I'd decided to stop flogging a dead horse and haven't sent anything to PF for a while, but Viv's excellent advice is getting me all inspired again. Good luck next time.
  • I don't think what the women look like is really what they mean by identifiable, HM. Often I don't describe looks at all, and the artist draws someone totally unlike the woman in my head! You have to know (and convey) enough about them to make them come alive in a reader's head, but it's their character rather than their looks that matter, and if there is more than one woman in the story then they do need to be easily distinguishable from each other, by age or attitude, but what PF really want is characters with whom the readers can identify - women like themselves. I believe that's what they mean by identifiable in these rejection comments.
  • I think you're right Viv - but if I didn't even have a vague picture of the main character - (except that she used a wheelchair, which is doubly awful considering I work with disabled people and am always banging on about how terrible it is when people only focus on someone's disability) - I don't think I had much chance of conveying anything very meaningful. Looking back the characters' voices weren't very distinctive either... basically I didn't really know them myself, I was just writing about a situation, so it's not surprising a reader couldn't identify with them. I really needed those comments from PF!
  • The one story I have placed with PF didn't stand out in anyway from the others I've sent in but somehow that one fit and the others didn't so I haven't got the answer to what's the criteria. It sounds like Viv's got the most experience with them and some sound advice.

These are the comments I received for the last two stories that were rejected.

I'm afraid the same problem afflicts both of them for us, in that they both have very familiar stories that we already have rather a lot of in stock.

It makes a pleasant change to read a story that has a fairly open, optimistic ending rather than going straight for the happy ending cliches! Your characters are great: vivid and credible - it's just that the "renewal of interest in life after the divorce" storyline is one we're very familiar with, and needs to be approached in a completely different way if it's to still interest our readers.

We do also receive an awful lot of stories about those seeking to learn about their ancestors. I'm afraid, again, we would only consider someting especially original along these lines at the moment as we do have so many similiar in stock.
  • It's true that stories rejected by one market can be accepted by another, so if you're still happy with it, send it elsewhere.

I've had rejects from PF with comments such as 'characters not fully developed' which isn't a comment I get from other mags - seems PF like to really get to know their characters!
  • Emma - don't give up! Don't be galled - turn around and try again. Have a good look at your story once you've read about 10 published PF stories (market research) and see if you can tell yourself what's not PF about it. If you don't like the PF style, try one of the other womags, because they are all totally different. I prefer to write much much grittier stuff than the PF mould, but I want to be published anywhere I can, so I tone right down and 'cose' (makes cosy!) my stories for them. I call it 'being a literary prostitute' - you find out what the customer wants and you give it to him (her!) My Editor there gives me a reminder from time to time that I've gone 'Off Friend', she's very nice about it but very firm and she's paying! Don't give up, you can do it. One day you will, just keep at it - but focus, keep your eye on what 'style' you need to adopt for your chosen market. Actually, it doesn't always work even then: I've lost the knack of Fiction Feast and haven't sold them anything in 2 years and I can't work out why!

Susie - a critique like that from PF means 'We like your style enough to bother telling you this' So don't drop out now - act on what your editor said, she's giving you massive clues! When I've had things like that said in the past, on the same day I've picked through the rejected script, gone with what they wanted, sent it out - and received an acceptance within 2 or 3 weeks with a comment like: thank you for the extra work you did on xyz, it's just right for The Friend now ... etc' So keep at it!
  • Emma. I am sorry to hear about this rejection. Try again as others have said.