Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Book titles!

Ok i've decided to call my novel 'The Cheesecake Lover' but i keep thinking my title may have a double meaning because the word lover can mean someone who you are in love with BUT if it has the word cheesecake in front of it, it could also mean someone who loves cheesecake. Does that make sense? Both of the meanings are actually relevant to the story but will the title confuse the reader?

Comments

• Both jumped to mind when I read it and I found it intriguing, not confusing. (But I did also get a picture in my head of a sort of Mr Blobby made of yummy lemon cheesecake!)
  • There's no American meaning like beefcake, too, is there?
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]There's no American meaning like beefcake, too, is there? [/quote]

No, ha ha!
  • Are you sure? I'm serious. :)
  • i'd never really thought about it before you mentioned it but i don't think so....
  • I've had a quick look, but am finding American slang difficult to track down - useful websites, at any rate. Will try Chambers in a minute.
  • Trust Chambers!

"Women with sex appeal." It mentions beefcake, too.
  • I haven't helped, have I?
  • in american slang, cheesecake is used in the same way as beefcake but my title is about the dessert and nothing else!
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]I haven't helped, have I? [/quote]

well i'm a little worried about it now......
  • My immediate thought was that it was about someone who loves cheesecake.
  • [quote=Foxy]My immediate thought was that it was about someone who loves cheesecake. [/quote]

Exactly, now you can see why i'm a little unsure!
  • Maybe wise to try another title.
  • I really like the title, I find it intriguing, but I only thought about a love of cheesecake, rather than a lover. It put into my mind a chick lit type book, perhaps like bridget jones where she is trying to diet while finding love.

I don't know what its about, but thats what came to my mind.
  • Yes, I agree also with Forget-me-not - it sounds like a chick lit sort of title. Must confess the title doesn't do much for me (sorry!) but then, I don't like chick lit so perhaps that's why I find it a little off-putting. Sorry Louise! Of course this is only MY humble opinion and probably worth ignoring if you like the title.
    (Wish we could use italics on this board)
  • And we all know how often publishers change the title...
    So if you like it, go with it.
  • I think a bit of ambiguity is a good thing.