Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Ever Feel Like Giving Up?

edited September 2009 in - Writing Problems
I got a rejection from TAB yesterday and I haven't done any real writing since Saturday.

I would never give up when writing means so much to me but I am in one of those frames of mind today. I'm just desperate to get some actual sucess!

Does anyone else feel like this?

Comments

• Frequently!
  • I'm currently reading 'Wannabe a Writer?' by Jane Wenham-Jones. She recalls how Della Galton (who has sold over 500 stories - gulp!) "once had eleven short story rejections on the same day a completed serial was turned down" - apparently she "cried buckets."

Happens to everyone I'm afraid, but keep putting stuff out there and celebrate every success no matter how small. That's what I do anyhow.

Best, Kaz
  • Emma, been there, done that ... do try some readers' letters whilst you try with the bigger items, like stories and articles. Getting into print, no matter how you do it, always boosts you.
  • Sorry to hear that Emma.

A lot of people I know have had stuff back from TaB this week (including me!) I think they're having a catch-up.
    Is there somewhere else your story can go?

I often feel like giving up - and quite frequently have extended breaks - but have come back to it every time so far.
    If you keep going you may well have some success (and don't forget that completing something and sending it out is a success in itself), but if you give up then you certainly won't.
  • edited September 2009
    Thanks everyone, its good to know that I'm not the only one. I think I'm due a much needed rest and then I will probably feel better and come back refreshed!!
  • edited September 2009
    Hope you feel like writing again soon, Emma. :)
  • Get writing again - it's the best way to deal with rejection.
  • I never think I'm going to give up writing, but definitely feel let down and a bit depressed for a few days when my writing 'fails'. You just have to pick yourself up and try again. (But I think a short mope and search for consolation is allowable.)
  • Sorry to hear your story was rejected by TAB. Would it suit another magazine, maybe with a few tweaks?

Dorothy's idea to write some magazine letters is great. It is easy to email letters these days and often they pay a much better rate per word or send you goodies to cheer you up. If not just try to write something - at least it will give you a start when you feel more in the mood. Always easier to edit or start afresh when you are not confronted with a blank page or screen.
  • Emma, have the 'much needed rest' and you will soon be raring to get back to the writing.
    And yes, we all feel like this- sometimes, regularly.
  • Think we've all been though it Emma. Rejection is a hard thing for all of us to take and I suspect we've all had loads over the years. Keep thinking positive and keep subbing.

I agree its a good thing to have a rest, my out put in the summer is about a 1/4 of my winter writing. I find I need this time to recharge my batteries. I usually write a load of firsdt drafts of short stories ready to be edited in the summer, through the warmer months I can work through them and sub as I go along.

Enter a few competitions, there are free ones about so won't cost you anything, I;m sure you have a few stories hiding in your files that would suit their themes.

Good luck
  • Yes Emma a little while ago I had to ask myself if I really want to do this, as I have proved to myself my writing isn't at a publishable standard. I decided to just not think about writing and thought I'd have about 6 months off, concentrating on other projects to keep my mind occupied.

But, I found while doing other stuff, ideas kept creeping in and after about two weeks I just had to start writing again, the need to write and allow ideas to come out of me, was there.

So don't worry about wanting to stop for a bit. We all need a break from routine now and again.
  • Try not to let it get you down, Emma - at least you've taken the big step of subbing something - more than many (including me) have done!
  • Yes, I've often felt like giving up too. The rejections can make you feel that the whole thing just isn't worth bothering with. Keep writing though and keep believing in yourself. Enjoy writing. Don't give up while you still have something to say and still enjoy it. The times when I've most felt like giving up have been the times when I've fairly soon had an acceptance of some kind.
  • edited September 2009
    And me. Rejections are horrible. You sort of get used to them but they never stop hurting.

But the key is what you say, Emma- that you will never give up because writing means so much to you. That's how I feel too.

Thank goodness lots of other writers haven't given up either - just think how many great books, stories, plays (etc) we might have missed if they had!
  • Lots of famous authors have been rejected several times over, so you're in good company. One thing I would do, though, is to try to make sure you're writing is as good as you can possibly make it. I wrote a historical thriller which almost got me a really good agent - in fact they worked with me for quite some time - but in the end they rejected me because the writing wasn't strong enough, and the pace was too slow. Robert Hale publishing liked it enough to want to see the whole ms, but in the end rejected it for the same reasons. So what I'm trying to say is, keep reading your work as objectively as possible. Perhaps there are changes to be made. If you can afford it, send it to a lit consultant so that someone can give you an objective opinion and tips on how to make it better. Good luck!
  • my motto is "Never give up....Ever." as well as "somethings are worth fighting for!"

Never give up!