Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Comparative and Superlative

I was watching the Hairy Bikers, who were cooking something to compete against a dish cooked by a Cornish chef. One of the Hairies told us that "it will be down to the locals to decide whose dish is best". Surely, if only two dishes are involved then the comparative 'better' should have been used.

I know this is quite a common misuse, for example "May the best man win" being said at a boxing match, but to me it is yet another example (alongside 10 items or less) of a decline in standards where incorrect usage is becoming accepted as the norm.

Long, longer, longest, for example.

If you are comparing one against another - comparative longer.
If more than two are involved, superlative longest.

It is a very easy rule to remember, so getting it wrong comes across as sloppy or lazy, but the BBC certainly aren't too put out by its misuse these days.

Rant over ;-)

Comments

• Oooo I shall remember that!

I do like these little snippets.
  • Most people use it in everyday talk, so it creeps into our consciousness when we least expect it.
  • [quote=collide-o-scope]the BBC certainly aren't too put out by its misuse these days.[/quote]

BBC is singular, your aren't should be isn't :).
  • [quote=neil]
    BBC is singular, your aren't should be isn't[/quote]

I disagree.

Although I referred to 'the BBC', it is clear that the reference was towards individuals within the organisation and not the organisation itself, as in the similar example.

Manchester United is a big club.

Manchester United are playing well.

And I'm in good company...

The BBC are helping destroy commercial radio by putting Chris Evans and Chris Moyles head-to-head (headline, Daily Mirror)

The BBC are lucky to take over Formula One coverage when the sport is brilliantly open (headline, Daily Telegraph)

"The BBC are asking for big cuts in programme budgets but because the commercial broadcasters are in such trouble they seem to be the only beast in the jungle of any significant size," (Comedy writer, Jimmy Mulville)

Whereas the organisation itself gets

Meanwhile, the BBC is under siege. (Guardian)
  • [quote=collide-o-scope]Manchester United are playing well.[/quote]

I disagree with that point. Did you see the match on Saturday?
  • [quote=SilentTony]I disagree with that point. Did you see the match on Saturday?[/quote]

I saw the highlights but speaking as a Newcastle fan the quality was still a lot better than I am used to ;-)
  • I wonder if newsreaders write their own stuff to read. I think they do.

Katie Derham '....The thorn of Europe cast a shadow over Conservative Conference...'
    :-) I don't think so. Mixed images.
  • Thanks for this thread, C-o-s. May I just add that you don't have to be a complete ignoramus not to know these things? I don't class myself as being illiterate, sloppy OR lazy but was simply never taught the differences. Granted, people working at the BBC should probably know the intricacies of language more than most but it might not necessarily be the case.
  • But do they have the time, or the inclination?
    And we all know that so many areas are dumbed down now. Would the viewer neccesarily know or understand the difference. (Not that I'm saying it's okay to use the words incorrectly.)
  • I don't think there are many of us who use proper English all the time - I know I don't. I have often said ' put plenty vinegar on THEM chips' and the like.

The difference here is that we have people who are being paid rather well specifically for their ability to communicate the English language to an audience. I would expect, therefore, that their standards would be at least at a level where they can diferentiate between 'fewer' and 'less', and know superlatives from comparatives. I remember answering (correctly) a comparative/superlative question in my eleven plus exam. There are some aspects of our language that are quite difficult to get to grips with, I know, but learning how to use English basics, such as the two examples above, is hardly algebra.

After all, if I submitted an article with the following...

So, having visited both Scarborough and Skegness, I would definitely say that Scarborough is best, although this may be partly due to there being less tourists here.

Any editor worth their wages would toss it straight into the bin.

innit ;-)
  • Incidentally, while I am on and I have 10 mins or so to kill, another common error I often see on a football website I frequent is misuse of the word 'latter'. This relates to the comparative in that it should only be used when referring to the second of two. A common mistake on that website is to say things like this...

Burnley, Stoke and Everton, the latter being our opponents next weekend.

It should be

Burnley, Stoke and Everton, the last being our opponents next weekend.

the second of two = latter

the final of more than two = last

Leave yer polished apples on me desk ;-)
  • Here y'are Sir. I've rubbed this one nice n shiny like on me sleeve, Sir.
  • But there is another side to your point, COS, valid though it is. If I am writing for the Young Adult market there are a few errors in grammar which have become so widely accepted that the correct usage would be out of place. I would not hesitate to write: "I didn't know who to ask", and wouldn't dream of writing: "I wouldn't know whom to ask". I think an editor would ask me to change the latter into the former.

What do you think?
  • If it was said in conversation, Dwight, then I think it would be perfectly acceptable. If, however, it was in the content of the writing as in, 'he didn't know who to ask' then you'd have to change it.
  • [quote=Dwight]If I am writing for the Young Adult market there are a few errors in grammar which have become so widely accepted that the correct usage would be out of place.[/quote]

I agree with that. My YA series is first person, and though all of my main character's narrative, indirect thoughts and observations are generally written in proper english, all of her direct thoughts and speech, and the dialogue of the other characters, are written as they would be spoken in real life. Not that I've put in loads of local dialect to make it sound more realistic -- I haven't put in any -- but I don't think it would work to have a sixteen-year-old girl in modern-day Stirling speaking (and thinking) in immaculate Queen's English.
    I think in articles and non-fiction, everything should be grammatically correct, but in fiction there should be a bit of wiggle room.

*SA*
  • I agree - as long as you don't stoop to 'I dnt knw who 2 ask m8" then that's fine by me - you know your readership and you target your writing in their direction.

The BBC on the other hand, broadcasts (BBC organisation = singular) across the board so those in charge of personnel should surely employ reporters who at least have a basic knowledge of the rules of English. I don't want to come across as a pedant because I'm not, but surely it is right that a national broadcasting corporation should have stricter rules for acceptance than my local newspaper.

And if you think I'm bad - tune into radio 4 when a reporter splits an infinitive - it's a warzone :-)
  • I'm going to have to disagree on this one word 'whom', IG, SA and COS. As far as YAs are concerned it is antique and belongs in 18th Century historical documents. On split infinitives, comparatives and all the rest I agree, but the word 'whom' in a children's novel strikes me as authorial intrusion. The spell of the narrative is broken for that split second.

I mean, do you use it in everyday language? Would you ask: "Whom did you see when you got there?"

I think language development has more or less agreed on this shift to 'who'.
  • 'Whom' is the objective case of 'who'. If it is all right to discount this word, then is it also acceptable to discount 'his', the objective case of 'he'?

'The man scratched he head in puzzlement'

'Whom' is not just an archaic form of 'who', it does have a purpose.

In a rather complicated nutshell lifted from the Internet...

"Who" is a Subject Pronoun

"Who" is a subject pronoun like "he," "she" and "we" in the examples above. We use "who" to ask which person does an action or which person is a certain way.

Examples:

* Who made the birthday cake?
    * Who is in the kitchen?
    * Who is going to do the dishes?

"Whom" is an Object Pronoun

"Whom" is an object pronoun like "him," "her" and "us." We use "whom" to ask which person receives an action.

Examples:

* Whom are you going to invite?
    * Whom did he blame for the accident?
    * Whom did he hire to do the job?
  • edited October 2009
    What you are saying is not quite correct, CoS, but it is a fact that usage of 'whom' has largely fallen out of favour and popular usage, in the same way that we no longer use Thee and Thou for the familiar form of you. This happens in language all the time and although (as a languages and linguistics degree holder) I do know how to use the word 'whom' correctly, I rarely use it in this way unless I am writing something academic or literary. All your examples using 'whom' are usually used with 'who' and they work like that.

* Who are you going to invite?
    * Who did he blame for the accident?
    * Who did he hire to do the job?'

Whom' is actually an INDIRECT object pronoun, and is the Dative case, not Accusative and should be used for sentences such as

To whom did you give the ball? (usually said as 'who did you give the ball to?'. which has two grammatical errors - finishing a sentence with a preposition [to] and incorrect use of 'who', when it should be whom)

You got that car from whom? (said as who did you get the car from - same errors as above)

The one that really gets my goat is the replacing of 'as' with 'like' - flippin' americanisms!

(and all my examples have flown away - that's teh trouble with and old brain ;) )
  • [quote= Dwight]I'm going to have to disagree on this one word 'whom', IG, SA and COS. As far as YAs are concerned it is antique and belongs in 18th Century historical documents. [/quote]

I never said that I use 'whom'. In general, I don't. I've just checked, and I didn't use it at all in book #1, and in book #2, used it only twice - both times in dialogue, and both times spoken by the same character (an adult, a real baddie who speaks in perfectly anunciated, Jimmy Carr-esque English. It fits with his character). As I said, my main character is a sixteen-year-old girl from Stirling. I can't imagine her ever saying or thinking (either directly or indirectly) the word 'whom'. There's nothing wrong with that word, it just hasn't got a place in the main body of my story, because how often does a teenage girl actually use the word 'whom' these days? :)

[quote=Lolli]The one that really gets my goat is the replacing of 'as' with 'like' - flippin' americanisms!
    [/quote]

I have only used the 'like' you mean in dialogue. I had to change loads of 'like' to 'as though' or 'as if' in the last draft of book #1, and I've learned my lesson. But there's something about the way 'like' flows in dialogue that 'as though' lacks, so I've kept it in there for the few times I've used it. ;)

*SA*
  • Sorry SA, I confused you by saying what I meant badly (if that is correctly put). I meant to say that I agreed with you, but would draw the line about grammatical correctness when it comes to 'whom'. I'm glad to hear that you wouldn't use it either.
  • I have to agree with Lolli on this one.

Also, sorry but you do come across as a little pedantic C-O-S :)
    The Hairy Bikers are paid to communicate in their own inimitable style, in order to make cooking accessible to a particular audience. To split hairs over the quality of language used is, in my opinion, totally missing the point.
  • The Bikers' style leaves a lot to be desired to these eyes. But the point is that the more these basic rules of English are broken and broadcast, the more they become accepted as the norm. Yet you try submitting work to an editor saying something was the 'best out of the two', or that 'we should have less soldiers in Afghanistan' and you may be living in the hope it will be accepted long after it has hit the bin.

As for the 'whom' debate -I found this interesting

http://assistantvillageidiot.blogspot.com/2009/02/whom.html

And as for archaic words - I would NEVER use 'whilst' -it's 'while' every time.
  • Oh dear, C-O-S, ploughing through that link rather says it all, if not a bit too much, about this particular subject. Time perhaps to toll the bell for it :).
  • I use whilst all the while. But then much of the dialect I speak during the day has no time to differentiate between the two.
  • I have been known to use whilst in my writing on occasion too.
  • I use whilst frequently. I also use while when it is correct to do so.
  • I actually have to put 'whom' into one of my latest sentences and now you've all confused me!

Is it, "...that begs the question of whom is leading who?" or "...that begs the question of who is leading whom?"

Help. Please? :D
  • edited October 2009
    Hi, IG. I'd put "that begs the question [not sure of punctuation here, if any] who is leading whom?"

who = subject of is leading, and
    whom = object of is leading.

Don't think you need the 'of'.

You'd say: She is leading him; not her is leading he. It's the same theory.
  • ...that begs the question of who is leading who
  • Thanks so much for the replies, fellas, but as both answers provide conflicting information, it's all rattling around inside my brain box again.

Do I write, "So my dear, that begs the question who is leading whom?" or "So my dear, that begs the question of who is leading who?" I sort of thought there'd have to be a 'whom' in there somewhere. Aaaaaagh! Perhaps I should just change the sentence - it'd be a heck of a lot easier. But I kind of wanted it left in there because it's relevant to their relationship. I do appreciate your help, though. Thank you,again.
  • OK - Neil's probably right to include 'of'. Grammatically, 'whom' is correct - but it may not be what people usually say.
  • How grammatically correct would your character be?
    He sounds pretty formal, in which case I would use Jay's version, which is correct, but, as he says, maybe not how most people speak these days.
  • If you check out this link it appears that 'who's leading who' is correct, but if you scroll down to reply #13 a certain Ben corrects the headline to 'who's leading whom' (with some emphasis). While I would use the latter, there appears to be a common concensus that 'whom' is outdated and this was perhaps a view held by the author ofthe headline.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=yq&ei=na_eSsWqIZiRjAeFz8mkBg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAkQBSgA&q=who%27s+leading+who/whom&spell=1
  • But if you're writing historical stuff, such archaic words being used occasionally fits...:)
  • Hmmm...not historical but he IS an extremely wealthy man and was probably educated at the finest schools.

Just to bring this whole thing back into realistic terms, I must say that 'I' do actually use whom when speaking. {Ducks head and waits for barrage} Am I old fashioned? Probably, yes. A wee bit. But then, my family do actually have a go at me for it so I don't get off scott free because they make me feel rather pompous at times. Can't help it - it's just the way I am.

I'd always assumed my 'man' (heroic character) was well educated and would speak properly.
  • I use 'whom' when speaking in public or meetings etc, however when I'm within my own circle of friends and family, I revert to 'who'.

I do sometimes use 'whom' in my writing, depending on the character/background. A middle to upperclass persona would use 'whom'.
  • "Whom I ..." may be easier to say than "Who I ..."
  • I do use 'whom', sometimes when I'm talking and it is the correct usage in the conversation.
  • IG, 'begs the question of who is leading whom' is the grammatically correct version and if the speaker wsa very wealthy and educated at the best schools he would speak like that. Listen to any true upperclass person talking (the queen is a good one)
  • I suspect if the 'of' is left out, it turns it into a direct question, and it'll need a question mark.