Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

when should you use italics?

edited October 2009 in - Writing Problems
foreign names? What else?

Comments

• Sometimes I use it for emphasis on a particular word in a story.
  • Perhaps for non speaking dialogue, eg when the main character has a thought the reader needs to know about?
  • Not for print, but if you are writing anything online you should never use italics as they are very hard to read, and an absolute no-no under Accessibility guidelines.

The only exception is for botanical or latin names.

People tend to use italics for quotes. Again, online - don't do it. Use quote marks, or right-align your text instead.
  • I use them when referring to titles of books, films etc - The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, for example, would be italicised for me. In fact I have often looked for how to insert italics in this, and other forums
  • Yep, I agree with foreign words, thoughts and titles of books, etc. For emphasis, too, but only occasionally.
  • Stephen King in his book 'Rose Madder' uses italics for whole chapters. The chapter is from a different view point. When he writes it from Rose's VP it is normal, but Norman's VP it is italics.

I don't use italics in stories. However, I use them in non-fiction when there is a word or topic of interest so important it needs to be remembered/investigated further.
  • edited October 2009
    I use italics in stories but only in speech for emphasis.

For example, "You said what?" has far more punch if the final word is italicised - it tells the reader that the speaker is shocked or surprised.

The Catcher in the Rye is an italic-fest with hardly a page without them. Plus Salinger italicises parts of words where only one sylable is emphasised:

"Coffee, gentlemen, FINally," Mrs Antolini said.

The FIN being in italics.

I have experimented with part-italics - it certainly works in some cases - words such as outRAGEous (RAGE italicised) where only one part is emphasised, although I have never used them in any work I have submitted.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks CoS, that is a good example of use for emphasis. But as Jay says use sparingly. :)
    I've seen italics used in one book where it was used to differentiate between the story and the character reading an ancestors diary- the diary text was in italics, and that worked well.
  • Magazine editors are less picky, but if you're submitting a novel and you have lots of interior dialogue or description and you wish them to be italics, as per the above mentioned books, then simply underline the words. Do not put actual italics. Agents and publishers don't like it.

Other than that, the use of italics to emphasise words, places, speech etc, is a good way to differentiate between interior dialogue and description. It is also an effective way of creating immediacy.
  • Thanks for that useful tip Red.
  • Red, most of my work goes via e-mail. Would a publisher prefer underlining to italics?
  • Interesting question, Jay. I rarely send email submissions (except for magazines and the odd website etc) and on the whole, I've sent my MSS/submissions via post, and most publishers prefer the underline method, which I have found out by trial and error over the years.

Perhaps it may be worth checking their guidelines, as some may not mind this?
  • I use it for sounds. Bang, Crash, Boom
  • Don't over use italics or bold because they are distracting when reading.
  • Thanks everyone for your input.

I use it for emphasis, or for names of songs, real people etc
  • Why real people?
  • I don't know. Thought you were supposed to?
  • You surely wouldn't use italics in non-fiction e.g. if you were writing a biography about Churchill?
  • I have used italics for occasional emphasis, and for direct thought (my books are 1st person, and it didn't like it without the italics). I'm hoping that it doesn't cause too much of a hoohah with agents, etc...

*SA*
  • I haven't a clue anymore. I'm going to ask a writer friend of mine what he does.
  • It does seem to be trial and error as to who wants what.
    I can understand the printing the novel issue though.