Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Oops...did it again

edited November 2009 in - Writing Problems
I managed to delete a short story I've written for a competition. Thankfully, I wrote it quite recently, so I'm confident I can re-write it. Still, what a waste of time. Hanging my head in my hands.

The thing is, I don't know how I deleted it. It's not on my laptop or memory stick, and I always back up my work. Beginning to think there's a gremlin at work somewhere!

Comments

• Ouch...
    Sympathies.
  • Just do a global search for it. If you don't know the saved title search for a word or phrase if it's still fresh in your memory.
  • Could you have saved it under something other than the title you're searching for, or in the wrong file? I often change titles or move documents and then have a temporary panic when I can't find it.

Also, look in your trash or recycle bin - if you did accidentally delete it, it'll be in there.
  • oooh. Hope you find it!
  • Good idea to print stories (chapters), that you are working on, after each writing session. It works for me! We've all (I guess) deleted something that was very important.
  • I've tried searching for it under title etc but no luck. I'll learn!

Not sure that I'd want to print after every session, as need to keep costs down. However, perhaps I might when I've completed the first draft.
  • edited November 2009
    I have to agree with Stan there. I have USB keys and hard dives I make backups to after every edit or session but even that can go wrong. If you print off then you have a hard copy which is difficult to destroy. I also find it's the only way to properly edit anyway so I print a lot. I then shred and recycle when I have moved on.

You could also think about an online storage solution too. Theses are brilliant and are something like 99.99% secure from corruption. Try dropbox.com I use that and never had a problem.
  • Oh dear, sympathies to you little wanda (())