Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Shyness story

edited December 2009 in - Writing Problems
Am I the only one struggling with this? I can think of nothing other than cliches.

Comments

• That's confusing - there's a Shyness competition, and a Once Bitten, Twice Shy competition.

Have you tried looking in the dictionary and a thesaurus in case they provide any inspiration?
  • There's the shyness of children.
    Shyness in being shy of showing off a talent.
    'fighting shy'
    etc.
  • Mutley. How about this observation... people used to think I was shy when I was young, because I don't necessarily shout up, don't necessarily say a lot, and find group events painful.

In fact, I'm just in my own world most of the time. I don't notice things that aren't relevant to me, so I don't pass comment. Large groups just interfere with my internal dialogue and get on my nerves.

However, if riled, my values are threatened, or people talk harmful nonsense, I actually go for the jugular, and people are startled. They are usually surprised to find how clearly I express myself as, in this situation, I usually don't leave much room for my 'opponent' to manoevre.

Because what they don't realise is that quiet is absolutely not the same as shy.

I find that rollicking extroverts are more likely to have confidence issues than introverts - probably because they are more dependent on outsider's views of them. Hence the old chestnut about actors saying 'they're shy really'. They act to get approval, to counteract their poor self-image.

So I think shy is a rubbish word, really, with little meaning.

Now I'll shut up.

And good luck.
  • Why is "coconut shy" so named?
  • That, Dora, would be the act of shying, try to hit with a missile, make an attempt to get, as in fling or throw.
    {Compliments of the Concise Oxford Dictionary.}
  • Oh right, thanks Jan.
  • I agree with that Mabh. I've gone for the jugular a few times too.
  • [quote=Kangaroo]I agree with that Mabh. I've gone for the jugular a few times too. [/quote]

;) ;) ;)
  • Don't be shy to send your stories - 15 January is the deadline.
  • Got my entry clear in my head, rehashing a story I had already started but never finished.

It is certainly not cliched, but maybe a little beyond the bounds of reality.
  • You were here on Christmas Day?
  • Yes, stan some of us are committed you know?
  • Hope you had a good christmas, stan's dog too.
  • Yes we did. The Christmas morning service went well. Once home, we found five or six crackers from last year - so the pair of us and our son had great fun pulling them and reading the jokes and donning party hats. The turkey dinner was delicious. (The turkey was not too pleased). We watched the Queen's speech and listened to some music. In bed by half-past nine, listening to Handel's Messiah but I fell asleep near the end of part 3. I woke up about an hour later to hear The Snowman in my headphones. It took me a while to realise that I'd gone to sleep so I was rather puzzled how The Snowman got into Handel's Messiah. A lazy morning today though I've done some magazine editing.
  • Did you have a good day Robin?