Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Positive Exposure

edited April 2010 in - Writing Tales
My very short story Positive Exposure, which I recorded a couple of weeks ago is now posted and available to listen to.
It is only 250 words so only takes a couple of minutes.

It was written in 2007- and when I printed it out to read I was revising it in my head, but resisted as I wouldn't have got it finished in time, so it's as it was in 2007 when it won the manuscript of the year competition at the writers club.

There are other pieces there to listen to- some serious poetry included.

(Link I forgot to post- thanks Lexia)

http://www.nottinghamwritersclub.org.uk/audio.shtml

Comments

• Recorded??? Posted ??? Where ? I want to listen now !
  • Sorry forgot the link...

http://www.nottinghamwritersclub.org.uk/audio.shtml
  • Enjoyed that carol!
  • Loved it Carol - well done - well read too.
  • Great little piece of flash fiction (Pun not intended but kept in)

Heehee, I've heard Carol saying breasts and cleavage *titter*

Do you record for other people. I have something I'd like you to read.

Snippet.

"His name was Lee, the term demi-god did him no justice. A new breed of human was the term, Hughsius Sapius. A straping six-footer with a face that looked like it had spilled from the pages of a decent catalogue and landed smack-splash in a puddle of handsomeness. As for his physique, well....."

It's only 20k words long.

Let me know, I won't charge you much for reading it.
  • You make me smile Lee
  • Lee :)

I am often the reader for others on manuscript evenings, and our two competitions we hold each year, one for poetry, and the other- like my 250 words so I get a lot of practice reading aloud..:)

We have only just started this audio stuff, so if anyone in our club wanted me to read their work for them I would.
    The individual writer pays the recording fee and a minimum charge for the amount of time they want the recording there. As obviously the guy who does the technical stuff is paid.

It is fun, but strange at the same time. :)
  • I know other Talkbackers have been on Radio, but has anyone else done something like this?
  • I read a story on local radio for one of the writers in our writing group. Someone heard it and asked if I would read for the Talking Newspapers for the Blind. I do this now on a regular basis. It's great fun.
  • That's a very worthwhile project Casey.
  • What a lovely thing to do casey. We have a neighbour who is blind and she really enjoys the newspapers and books which are sent to her every week.
  • I enjoyed it too, Carol - well done.
  • I'd listen, but my web connection isn't up to it. Obviously, it's good, though.
  • Carol, I enjoyed listening to your story.
  • good one, Carol, enjoyed that! Nice voice!
  • Great stuff, Carol!
  • Good story, Carol. Loved the ending.
  • I reckon it was the ending that won me the competition...
    The theme that year was 'Coming Unstuck' and for once the idea came to me straightaway- usually I have to ponder for weeks, which is probably why I've failed to win that competition since. :)
  • It was a good story, Carol. And I loved your delivery.
  • Well done Carol. :-)
  • Carol did your story owe just a little to Judy Finnegan?
  • No Dwight, it was written some time before that incident.
    I'd heard an interview with an actress who had appeared in the original Star Trek series, and she had worn a costume in one episode that kept slipping and exposing her chest, so she was taped to prevent it occuring while they were filming.
    There had also been a lot of awards shows that year with women wearing sleeveless dresses- I wondered if they were taped in too. :)
  • Great story and well read. May there be many more.
  • edited May 2010
    That made me laugh. It's a clever idea using audio. Well done!
  • That was one of the best bits of flash fiction I've read (heard!). I can see why it was a winner.
  • Loved the story, Carol - a worthy winner.
  • well done, I enjoyed that, Carol, great little number and well read too! I do like the idea (Nottingham Writers) of having stories read out loud.
  • It's a shame that so few have taken up the opportunity.
    This week our club President is recording a piece for the audio, this will be more of a general piece about writing etc.

I'd certainly do it again.
  • Well done! A case of life (Judy) imitating art?