Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Bonne Marche short story competition

edited June 2010 in - Resources
I noticed a short story competition in the Bonne Marche magazine today. It's for 600 words fiction, prize £100. You have to send it with the voucher from the magazine, which is available on the counter in any Bonne Marche shop 75p.
And it's ongoing by the look of it.

Comments

• I'll have to pop in tomorrow and have a look.
    Thanks.
  • Is it open to everyone or just unpublished writers, do you know?
  • It doesn't say. You could email and ask? [email protected]
  • Thanks. Presumably if it doesn't say then it's OK for anyone to enter - it's just that I've noticed a lot of comps state unpublished writers only.
  • I keep trying to 'quote' Phot's Moll, but it boots me out of the thread. So I'll have to write in sentences ;)

I wonder why some competitions state that it's unpublished writers only?
  • published writers are sometimes more professional and have the edge over others, it's fairer to let newbies/unpublished have a clear run at it, no?
  • I might have a look at this one when I'm walking passed. Thanks.
  • edited June 2010
    There were a pile on the counter in plastic wrapper today but as usual the queue was down the shop and I didn't have time (having already queued up 20 minutes at the Post Office, then five-ten minutes at the Bank- I just couldn't face another 20 minutes...). Will look in during the week when it will be quieter.
  • [quote=Mabh]
    I wonder why some competitions state that it's unpublished writers only? [/quote]
    Dorothy's explanation is one reason, I'm sure. Sometimes competitions are run especially to encourage new writers so it makes sense to exclude those with more experience.

With some magazines I expect the 'unpublished only' is so that readers will feel the competition is for them, rather than for professional writers.
  • Hi thanks for that Kate. I went in yesterday and bought a copy and can't see any mention of it being for unpublished authors. It was a fairly simple story to read - on the very back page by the way.
  • Just realised I should have spelt it bonmarche!
  • I picked a copy up today and agree that any reader can submit a story. It's good to find a new opportunity like this, so well done kateyanne for spotting it!
  • edited June 2010
    You're welcome Montholon and good luck! Only wish I had something to enter myself but I don't at the moment I'm a bit busy with some poems.
  • Has anyone subbed a story yet?

I did on 11th October; heard nothing yet.
  • I entered in JUne -haven't heard a word. Mary
  • I subbed back in June, but not a peep. (The Winter edition 2010 issued on 17th October). I take the view that if I haven't heard after six months I'm unlikely to and so will submit the story elsewhere. I think they only have two issues a year and one story per issue so the chances are slim, if not malnourished.
  • I have the Autumn edition- so I'd assume it is a quarterly issue.
  • Yes, it's four issues a year.