Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

List of children's publishers accepting unsolicited manuscripts

edited July 2010 in - Resources
To anyone who submits children's fiction, I have put a list of publishers that accept unsolicited manuscripts up on my blog at

http://loutreleaven.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/childrens-publishers-accepting-unsolicited-manuscripts/

with links to their submissions guidelines and notes on what each publisher requires.

I am hoping to keep this as an ongoing resource, so if anyone knows of any publishers I have missed out, please do tell me (note: fiction only, excluding picture books).

Comments

• Wonderful list Lou.

I read the Robinswood one though, and for a publisher, their copy is amazingly badly laid out. Makes you wonder about the quality of their work...

Practically all one paragraph of dense information.
  • Well done for the list Lou.
    A valuable resource.
  • I'm writing a children's book at the moment that's in diary form-no chapters- so what do I send to agents/publishers? The equiv length in pages?
  • Yes, I've had the same issue with one in the form of letters - I just estimated the rough length.
  • OK thanks.
  • Yes that's a great list, Lou - many thanks.
  • Thanks for the list, Lou.

[quote=Liz!]I read the Robinswood one though, and for a publisher, their copy is amazingly badly laid out. Makes you wonder about the quality of their work...

Practically all one paragraph of dense information. [/quote]

I agree that doesn't do them justice at all. Goodness knows why they've allowed that! But from personal experience (they published two of my children's books a few years ago) it doesn't reflect the quality of their work. Look at their actual website for a better idea.

They are a very small publisher who sell almost entirely directly to schools. I've been in touch with them recently and I'm pretty sure they aren't looking for new authors at the moment.
  • Yes, I agree. The rest of their website is of a good quality and I like their ethos. Do you think I should remove them from the list, though, if they're not looking for new authors?

Even as I put together the list, I had to delete Usborne and Orion as they've both stopped accepting unsolicited stuff since the last time I checked their submissions procedures.
  • Well, I'd never want to put anyone off trying a publisher. You could leave them on your list, Lou. But I'd recommend enquiring about submissions to Robinswood before sending.

Things can change quite quickly with any publisher!
  • I have updated the list to include the small presses Wyvern Publications, Bridge House and Rebel Books. They are all looking for short stories for their anthologies at the moment - probably no payment, just a copy of the book, but I might have a go over the summer.
  • Hi Lou,
    Thanks for sharing your list, you may like to add Frances Lincoln books to it, http://www.franceslincoln.co.uk/en-gb/Page/104/Childrens_Submissions.html - they also run the Diverse Voices competition - 2011 deadline is in February.
    Do you mind me asking how long before you got a response from Meadowside Books? A lot of publishers now say they will only respond if interested, do you think three months is a reasonable time to wait?
  • I love the way agents/publishers say we are only interested in exceptional writing.
  • Yeah, as if they are going to be inundated with it every day...;)
  • Hi Alicewonder - just been checking through my paperwork and I can't lay my hands on their reply letter at the moment, but I do remember it was a few months. If I can find it I'll let you know!
  • Thanks for the suggestion of Frances Lincoln - adding that in now!
  • Thanks Lou that's kind of you :)
  • Oh there is also Floris Books based in Edinburgh for Scottish writers or books set in Scotland or with Scottish characters. They run the annual Kelpies competition too. And for out of print books there is Fidra books who reissue more old-fashioned stories, based in Scotland too.
  • Hi have just added you to my favourites . I am writing (or trying to write) a children book aimed at the 10 to 12 year old , probably girls.So you blog and links will be so helpfull
    Jenny
  • Thanks, Jenny! Will try and add more useful info in the future - my next blog will be resources about synopsis writing as I hate them and need all the help I can get!
  • Oh yes, talking of links Jenny, the most helpful website I've found is

http://talltalesandshortstories.blogspot.com/

from our very own TBer Tracy
  • Lou, the really sad thing about the list is the amount of times you said 'I've never had a reply from them.'
  • Says more about me than them, though, I think!!!
  • don't put yourself down!
  • Hi, I'm a complete newbie in just about everything here and I am confused about where I go next. I have written a childrens story in rhyme form, more like a long poem than story and thats about as far as I have got. Is this classed as fiction or poetry or a picture book which I would hope to have some with it if it got any further than just stuck in a polypocket because I'm too chicken to do anything about it??! any advice (but please, not too insulting about my ignorance) would be very welcome.
    Thanks Beck
  • Beck, hi, welcome to TB. Do introduce yourself on the Welcome Writers thread so we can all learn about you!

Your first stop is the bookshop where you look for books written in rhyme, note the publishers, and then go check out their websites and guidelines. Then, you find out how to set it out so it fits their guidelines, and send it off. chicken? we all hate sending something out when we start, it's that fear of rejection. Unfortunately it's part of the writing life, being rejected (been there many, many times before gaining success) and all writers need a thick, thick skin. It is the writing being rejected, not the writer. And that is rejected because it may not be right for them at that moment.

Go do some market research with actual books, see who is putting out what, follow through with website research and then go send. Best of luck!
  • Good advice from Dorothy. Yes, go and explore the market and see if you can find anything similar and who publishes it. I would also recommend buying something like the Children's Writers and Artists Yearbook, because as well as listing all the markets and their contact details, it also has tons of articles about how to submit and what to submit. Good luck!
  • Liz may have some knowledge of this area too.
  • On the welcome thread, Liz said she had sent a long whisper to Becky, so we are all throwing advice at her!!!
  • LizLiz
    edited September 2010
    I've written a long post to becky but it's not a case of seeing who does it as no-one does.

It's very hard to get rhyming fiction published, even experienced poets find it difficult to maintain for an entire book and difficult to publish.

Long poems aren't published much either, it's mainly 20 lines or shorter.

Rhyming picture books are around but not the norm as they have to be translatable, the Gruffalo ones are an exception which spring to mind. You have to write a picture book with picture books in mind as there are so many rules to stick to regarding number of layouts, number of words, cliffhangers at each page turn, comedy for both adult and child, most of the story in the pictures not the text etc. etc. It looks easy but it's an enormous skill and it's actually the hardest genre to write in and get published. It costs the publishers so much they have to get a co-publisher and that is someone abroad and that means not only the words but the feel of the story and the subject etc have to be translatable. It's one of the main reasons that picture books tend to be animals.

The easiest way to get rhyming stuff published for children is by getting a poem published in an anthology and going from there, that would entail looking at the anthologies on the market now (I didn't say this in my message to becky, but there is a new one just out, 'A Million Brilliant Poems (part one)' which I just happen to have 2 in!). See what sort of thing sells and try and emulate them. When you are sure you have a small collection of really good, short (short is important!) poems, you can look at who edits anthologies and send 6 poems off to the anthologiser, c/o the publisher, asking if they would consider you when they are asking for contributions to an anthology. If the editor (and most of them are poets themselves) like your work they'll answer and you will be put on their list.

It's a small world, most people know, or have heard of, everyone else.

Edit to say perhaps i should also mention that there is hardly anything being published at the moment in poetry as most of the publishers have shut their lists as they say it doesn't sell. Macmillan are the only ones really keeping it up and they have gone down from about 20 a year to 4. But it's still possible, Paul on here, a new children's poet has managed it recently!
  • edited September 2010
    how things have changed!! In 1982 I wrote a long poem for my daughter about Humpty Dumpty's fall. She showed it to my mother who showed it to a teacher who said 'I can just see that being acted out in class' so I put the different voices in, sent it to an educational publisher and ended up with 20 books in a reading scheme, 12 of which were in rhyme, everything from plays to information through fun. They all came out in 1983-4 and have continued to make money for me right through to this year.

I was told two years ago historical fiction was finished. Now it is booming, with Wolf Hall etc out there as well as Philippa Gregory, not to mention my ongoing series. Sometimes you have to go for it, regardless, knowing that the trends will change as publishers look for something different. Don't give up!
  • Educational is different, rhyme is used a lot as it is so helpful in predicting what a word says.
  • edited September 2010
    It didn't start out education, though,Liz, it was coincidence.
    And, oddly, the rhymes were accepted without any problem, regardless of what they were about (apart from Festivals which they had checked by experts, as I covered all faiths) whereas the novel ... that went through the PC mill!

I just happened to write a book for children which rhymed and having been given a 'direction' I went with it but was prepared to send it 'mainstream' if they rejected it.

Oh, another pointer, the editor, who travelled from the Midlands to meet up with me, told me it was the covering letter which sold the first rhyming book more than the book itself, she loved the letter and the subtle humour I put in it.
  • Well, things change every year in publishing so you never know!

I can only give advice as to what is the state in the here and now though - having spoken to publishers and been in the children's world for 10 years or so. Most of what I write is rhyming and the info above comes from letters from publishers and agents over the last few years.
  • We're due a change, I think. I wonder if Becky would benefit from approaching a few educational publishers?
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]Says more about me than them, though, I think!!! [/quote]
    No it doesn't, Lou ;)

Becky - looks like you've had lots of good advice from others already. You could check out the Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, (SCBWI), consider joining and go to some of their events if you can.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi again, sorry I meant to thank everyone for their lovely welcome but whispered it instead, still not quite sure what that means but hey ho! This is all great advice thanks and as daunting as it all seems, you don't seem too put off :o), but little fish in a huge pond kind of springs to mind here hehe. Dorothyd, what a lovely way to have been discovered, I wrote a poem about water for an infant school project last year and the teacher asked if she could have a copy for home, if only she knew a publisher!!
    Thanks again for the advice.
  • whisper only goes to the person you 'whisper' to and no one else. We use it to talk privately to other TBers.
  • Such great advice here and lots of sites to visit. I am looking after our writing groups new web site as from next month, and we have a news letter page , where I am hoping to add lots of interesting sites for our members to use . I might even have a page added just for web sites to be put on it, as there are quite a few .
  • LizLiz
    edited September 2010
    Beck you are no smaller or bigger than the rest of us, we all started somewhere and no-one is ever finished learning in the writing world so really it's a big path with us all on it, traveling in the same direction. To infinity...
  • [quote=Jennymf]I might even have a page added just for web sites to be put on it[/quote]

I was just thinking the same thing myself, Jenny!
  • [quote=Alicewonder]Do you mind me asking how long before you got a response from Meadowside Books? [/quote]
    I submitted some manuscripts to Meadowside too.
    Mine came back after four weeks with some helpful feedback. Let's hope no news is good news if you're still waiting then. ;)
  • Thanks Daisy, think it's probably the time of year, can be busy around Frankfurt. Also I submitted by email so hoping my submission didn't go into spam :( been about three months since I wrote. It says they don't reply if not interested, so that might be the case. Once waited a whole year for a reply from a publisher and it was still a no!
    Also, Lou, I found another children's publisher accepting submissions, Templar (http://www.templarco.co.uk/contact.html) they do those fabulous 'ology' books but also children's fiction.
  • My daughter loves the 'ology' books. You are right, they do accept submissions. How exciting - I will get the details and add them to my list.

I'm getting quite a few hits on that list now.
  • Sent off synopsis and a couple of chapters of a strange genre - a fiction story about electrical science facts and history - to a number of publishers. The rejection slips (from those that replied....) said to the effect, "Don't you know how unpopular physical sciences are to modern youth - you have very little chance of marketing such material... Others said, "You have closed down most of the possible schools market by your criticism of schools and the State. Sorry, we coould not consider such work in any of our departments...
    So, we've got to comply, get the politics right and avoid dreadful unpopular subject matter, eh! (In spite of the hero Jamie weeing in his pants in the story!) Rotten old scientists writing for children (young teens) is an utter dead-duck?
    Jixatron ([email protected])
    Regards to all........
  • I would have thought that there would be some market for a fiction story that makes learning science fun! Which publishers have you sent it to?
    But what was it you said about schools and the state? Was that in your accompanying letter?
  • I agree with Kateyanne - I think there would be a market. But I wonder if you need to look back at it and see if you can identify the areas which may have antagonised the publishers you received the negative remarks from? Remember, the best form of revenge is to go on to succeed, so keep trying and let us know how you get on.
  • Jix, in 1983 I walked the educational tightrope. It's not easy. I had to avoid criticism of all kinds, stereotyping of all kinds, religious bias of all kinds ... if you believe in the work, tailor it to fit the current even more stringent PC brigade and get it out there. I am sure there is a market, but choose carefully and tailor the work carefully not to offend anyone. It's the only way.
  • Hi dorothyd,
    You've been going in writing for a long time - great stuff (1983 eh!). I fully admit the 'alternative' approach I support - might put bottlenecks into the 'path' and reduce chances. But where would Richard Dawkins, or Alex Comfort, or even Kropotkin have got if they'd cow-towed to the PC brigade. It's just what the status quo wants - shut up and toe the line for us to stay in control and power....
    So yes, my support of the rapidly growing Home Education movement and the opposition to the 'tending to fascism' central State - makes things a rocky climb, but Capitalism must crash into the wall at some stage , as our poor Planet hits its crunch. We've got to write about it - so PC out! (Okay Kateyanne, you see why now, but there are some 'radical publishers' out there, I hope one or two read our blogs. I've had one e-mail - asking for a few details!?) Seasons Greetings. From jix.
  • Surely children should be given both sides and a balanced view, not a radicalised one from any quarter?