Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Crisis of concept

pbwpbw
edited September 2010 in - Writing Problems
Help! I have a collection of characters in my story. One is a robot called...yes you guessed it...Pandora. I adora Pandora, even though she's a cliche. The name suits her so well. She is a multi-talented blonde blue-eyed babe! Now, when I submit my magnus opus to agents and the like, are they going to groan and say "Oh no not ANOTHER Pandora!"? Shall I change her name?

Comments

• My humble opinion is no. I have a main character and he just can't go by any other name. I would hate for someone to change it. So, I think you should stick to the adorable Pandora. Of course, I've not had a book published so what do I know.
  • No.
    I've found that if you try changing the name of your character when you've decided it fits, it mucks the writing mind up.
    Is there another Pandora somewhere currently?
    Hopefully your story will be good enough for them to be okay with it.
  • I think if you feel strongly about it, keep the name. It's something that can easily be changed in the editing process anyway, if an agent or publisher feels it should be.
  • Thanks guys. To me she is always Pandora. I checked the derivation. The name is from Greek mythology (as you all know) and it means "all gifted" as indeed, my robot is. I tried changing her name to Isidora (Spanish spelling) derived from Isis, also "gifted" but it's not working for me. She came into my head as Pandora.
    [quote=Carol]Is there another Pandora somewhere currently?[/quote] I don't know if there are any around currently (apart from mine) BUT, in Avatar the world is called Pandora. In the science of artificial intelligence the most advanced chatbot application is made by "pandorabots". Philip Pullman's little girl Lyra has a soul named 'Pan'. I'm sure I could go on. However, you have reassured me that Pandora my character is and - good - Pandora she remains.
  • edited September 2010
    If editors don't want to see the name Pandora again then I reckon Peter F. Hamilton's novel Pandora's Star would have been called something else ;-)